Allergy vs Others whats the deal here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U would choose Allergy fellowship over others like Endo or Rheumatology because

• salary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • money is not what I think about I just like the lazy lifestyle

• I am the cream of my class ...I wont settle for something small and easy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manahilb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would u guys compate AI vs other simillar specialities. I mean I seriously dont get WHY is it so competitive ????
-Lifestyle is pretty comparable to that in Rheumatology and even Endocrinology.
-Recently I have heard all kind of stuff regarding the salaries ( honestly I dont have a clue whats the salary like) ,
-some people say we have less spots in AI ...err have u seen the total spots in Rheum ! not so many I promise u that

so in my view not so much difference .....but if u see the people vying for Rheum vs that in AI there is a HUGE difference in the CV with the cream going for AI .....so whats the deal why is everyone crazy about AI????

I guess I am missing something here ....Can someone help me figure it out. My dilema is that I have done Rheum and I have also almost secured a spot for AI and now I am thinking WHY would I wana do this ....ok ok I am late in my thought but hey is it worth spending another 2 years as a fellow???

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you want to do AI if you've already done Rheum? Focus on Rheum. It's not like you're gonna do both when you're done.

well for one there are some univ programs (e.g Baylor) which actually offer a combined training and people do practice in a combined AI and Rheum practice. My Question however could be rephrased as I like both Rheum and AI and I have the oppurtunity to do both but I am confused why is AI do hard to get when onacomparison they are pretty much the same. Can you point what is there in AI which is not there in Rheum. I just dont want to regret missing on something that I am not able to appreciate /

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you satisfied with rheumatology? What are you looking for?

Are you satisfied with rheumatology? What are you looking for?

some of us stay confused for quite some time :) I am not sure why but despite a confirmed AI spot I will be letting it go....I am sticking to Rheum and starting out my life as an attending. Maybe it was easier to let it go once I had it in my hands and felt the blood rush ...If I want to I can do it too .......... I just figured there are more things in life then work and picking a perfect field to settle into...something that I had kind of forgotten midway my medical education...... I still dodnt get why would Allergy be so hard to get vs Rheum or for that matter Endo??? Trust me money is not the answer as I know guys in Rheum who earn half a million ( ofcourse u have to be a machine and workaholic)

The honest reasons I have come up with are
1- Practical Allergists dont see immunology and Allergy by itself is easy and not at all taxing on one's mind.
2- AI is competitive as the number of programs are very very limited creating a psuedo impression that AI is something out of the ordinary.

I may be wrong but thats what my research process has led me to. All of you docs out there...u have worked hard to be a physician and I assure you all of us will do just fine :) Wish me luck as I take the plunge into the practical world of medicine as a Rheumatologist.

I think you should go far Allergy Immunology. quality of life is better in AI as compared to Rheum, all pts are insued on AI side, reimbursement is better in AI. My university offered 105k to one of my friend (Rheum attending) in acedemics while they pay 250k+ to AI attending in acedemics here. Go far AI

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should go far Allergy Immunology. quality of life is better in AI as compared to Rheum, all pts are insued on AI side, reimbursement is better in AI. My university offered 105k to one of my friend (Rheum attending) in acedemics while they pay 250k+ to AI attending in acedemics here. Go far AI

Interesting which Univ are we talking about. I am kind of amazed since I have not heard of a 250K plus salary anywhere in AI. I have a few pals who d love to get in this kind of a position.

some of us stay confused for quite some time :) I am not sure why but despite a confirmed AI spot I will be letting it go....I am sticking to Rheum and starting out my life as an attending. Maybe it was easier to let it go once I had it in my hands and felt the blood rush ...If I want to I can do it too .......... I just figured there are more things in life then work and picking a perfect field to settle into...something that I had kind of forgotten midway my medical education...... I still dodnt get why would Allergy be so hard to get vs Rheum or for that matter Endo??? Trust me money is not the answer as I know guys in Rheum who earn half a million ( ofcourse u have to be a machine and workaholic)

The honest reasons I have come up with are
1- Practical Allergists dont see immunology and Allergy by itself is easy and not at all taxing on one's mind.
2- AI is competitive as the number of programs are very very limited creating a psuedo impression that AI is something out of the ordinary.

I may be wrong but thats what my research process has led me to. All of you docs out there...u have worked hard to be a physician and I assure you all of us will do just fine :) Wish me luck as I take the plunge into the practical world of medicine as a Rheumatologist.

manahilb
i am glade you are sticking to Rheum , obviousely you dont like all/ imm,
unlike yourself some of us really love all/imm and want to do it regardless of the reimbursement.
if you already turned the offer down stop checking this blog and go enjoy your life as an attending.
reimbursement going to keep changing every year so dont worry about it.
you did the right thing by doing what you like.

manahilb
i am glade you are sticking to Rheum , obviousely you dont like all/ imm,
unlike yourself some of us really love all/imm and want to do it regardless of the reimbursement.
if you already turned the offer down stop checking this blog and go enjoy your life as an attending.
reimbursement going to keep changing every year so dont worry about it.
you did the right thing by doing what you like.

WHOA there I dont think less of AI at all ........Trust me if I didnt like AI , I would have not spent time in research and extra rotations and what not...its just that sometimes there is a lot of confusion in one's mind and you dont want to comit to anything least you regret it later..to me Rheum and AI have a very common background in Immunology and the way research is directed I believe we will be having a whole lot more immune modulators and biologics in Rheum....did you know that the next generation of Osteoarthritis treatment may very well be a biologic/immune moduclator I guess not :)
I am not sure where is the talk about reimbursement coming from :) I mean cmon if you compare Rheum to AI , its pretty obvious AI edges out Rheum by a large margin. I was inquisitive since I can tell my pals in AI where to look for a better option ...I hope you are not opposed to claiming whats rightly yours !
I asked a question of which I have not found the answer as yet so I guess I will follow this until I get a decent answer :)
I am glad I will do what I wana do and yes I agree reimbursemenst are always in a state of flux....for some more then others