Alliant PsyD San Diego (Integrative Psychology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the Alliant PsyD program in San Diego has been covered to some degree. From what I have read, it sounds as if people have nothing postive to say about the program. However, I have been thinking of attending the program. This is mainly because of the integrative psychology emphasis at this campus and only available through the PsyD. So far this is the doctoral program I have found with a integrative emphasis.

http://www.integrativepsychology.net/index.htm

Again still intrigued by the program, but worrisome as to the reputation of the school and future outlook.
:confused:

Any thoughts on this matter is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Pharmdreamer. I'm sorry you've heard bad things about the PsyD program at Alliant! I'd be curious to know more about that, but for now let me tell you a little about my experience in the program so far.

I'm a G3 student in the PsyD program and I chose Alliant in San Diego because of the integrative emphasis. Indeed it is unique to find such an opportunity to study integrative psychology within the context of an APA accredited University. So too is it interesting to learn about the strong Humanistic/Existential tradition at the Alliant campus from back before the USIU and CSPP merger.

That's a tangent however, my main hope here is to "balance the scales" and tell you that my experience in the program has been nothing short of wonderful and enriching. The exposure to contemporary postmodern philosophy alongside a challenging, mainstream academic curriculum creates a unique learning environment which neither ignores major concerns in the evolving field of professional psychology, nor shirks responsibility for finding solutions.

I have been introduced to more diverse thinkers, and more variegated psychologies (critical, integral, and eco-psychologies to name a few) than most other graduate students in psychology can surely say. And this has been along side traditional classes in psychotherapy (CBT, psychodynamic, family systems, existential ect), testing, ethics, and other core competencies.

Finally, there is the Center for Integrative Psychology community who gather the first Friday of every month on campus when they host an educational event open to the school and general communities alike. These people are kind, bright, passionate, and dedicated to helping to build a better world, and it has been a pleasure to know them.

I feel now like these words really haven't done justice to all that I've gotten out of this program and community, but it will have to suffice. I would be happy to answer any other questions that you may have. Just let me know!

Sincerely,
IntegStudent

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on integrative psychology...but in general Counseling Psych program follow a more integrative and humanistic path than do Clinical Psych programs. If you're worried about the Alliant aspect (which I would be if I were you) look in to some Counseling Psych programs. Also, I believe that Duquesne has a humanistic-ish Clinical program.

I understand the Alliant PsyD program in San Diego has been covered to some degree. From what I have read, it sounds as if people have nothing postive to say about the program. However, I have been thinking of attending the program. This is mainly because of the integrative psychology emphasis at this campus and only available through the PsyD. So far this is the doctoral program I have found with a integrative emphasis.

Again still intrigued by the program, but worrisome as to the reputation of the school and future outlook.

I'm glad you can see someone who seems to have benefited in his own right from the Integrative program at Alliant (IntegStudent above).

I'm finished my Ph.D. from Alliant SD, and I must paint you a different picture.

Let's start with the director. Don Eulert, Ph.D. is the head of the Integrative Program. While I find the man mildly interesting with his pipe, ponytail, and affinity for western ties....he has a doctorate in American Studies from Arizona State. That's right...he's never been licensed and has in fact never seen a single client in his earthly life. The reason I bring this up, is that the program is pretty loopy from top to bottom. While it's members seem to have a pretty good review, nobody outside their circle of friends shares the sentiments...even others on the campus.

I like my integrative colleagues from Alliant-don't get me wrong. They are always friendly and generous with their Na mas Dei greetings.

Yet most of the integrative folks seem to have a loose and vague grasp of "main stream" academic and clinical subject areas. They just seem to have this hippie vibe where nothing phases them; the idea that they don't grasp fundamentals of traditional therapies or quantitative sciences makes no impact...there's like this sense that they are shaman healers. Check the link below out.

http://www.integrativepsychology.net/Faculty3.htm

I'm really holding back here, and I truly am not trying to be patronizing or unfounded, but in the integrative tradition...I want to share my experiences with the the seeker of the knowledge (op...that's you).

Look, you don't have to go to an integrative program to pick up some Frankl, Husserl, Ponty, or any other existentialist and phenomenologist. Feel free.Yet I think most people should be trained in the more traditional veins.

You don't want to end up like a fellow intern I once had. She was an integrative track student and she said her theoretical orientation was....mindfulness! Tah- Dah! (btw, that's funny because that is not an orientation...it's a term that has some meaning and is especially in vogue in the integrative crowd).

Seriously though, these are just my experiences and I'm not trying to bash. The program really seems to be the way I describe it.

Edit: I do want to note, for balance, that David Peterzell,Ph.D. is as serious a researcher as any on the globe. He is widely published and works with the VA on phantom limb issues. He is on faculty at the integrative program at Alliant. The problem seems to be that he kinda involves himself in the integ prog for fun, and for some alternative studies (as far as i can see at least). His students don't have a grasp of the sciences to use his inclinations even if he were to embark with them.

Last edited:
Given the emphasis of EBTs in the field (and internship), any prospective student should be asking how each training program meets this need. This program sounds like the kind of program the field doesn't support. The science is weak, the training sounds loose, and the students do not have the same training background. If you wanted to pursue training in a related discipline (that isn't licensable), maybe there would be less of an issue.

*edit*

Btw, I'm not knocking all integrative psychotherapy efforts, but there is a big difference between the above and what Norcross & Beutler have written about. A good example is found here: http://www.larrybeutler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/14-Integrative-Psychotherapies-2010.pdf

Last edited:

From their website

• 12% APA internship match rate

• 60% paid internship match rate

• 100K+ in tuition and fees (more if you don't finish within four years).

• Additional fees: "The program requires students to complete 40 hours of personal psychotherapy. Typically students spend $2,000 - $3,000 to meet this requirement."
Big red flags. Proceed with caution. The negative impact of any of these will not really become apparent until a point in your training or career where it will be very difficult and expensive for you to do anything about them. (yeah, yeah, yeah- I know there are successful graduates of this program, a non-APA internship is not insurmountable, money isn't everything, blah, blah, blah. The fact is, it's a very competitive job market for Doctoral Level Psychologists, and seems to be getting more competitive and there are significant cuts to our funding sources. Limiting your future options, and potentially acquiring 6 figure debt in the process, might not be a very prudent path to go down.)

From their website

• 12% APA internship match rate
  • 60% paid internship match rate
  • 100K+ in tuition and fees (more if you don't finish within four years).
  • Additional fees: "The program requires students to complete 40 hours of personal psychotherapy. Typically students spend $2,000 - $3,000 to meet this requirement."

:eek:

Mercy!

Also from the website:

Year #Students enrolled %Students leaving before graduating
2006 45 29%
2007 47 28%
2008 43 7%
2009 46 4%
2010 43 5%

The smaller attrition rates in more recent years do not represent an improvement- it just shows that something happens around year 4-5 of training (after the investment of not only the time, but the money) that results in almost 1/3 of the students leaving the program). Once again, this data suggest that you proceed cautiously before you sign your contrac....oops, I mean acceptance letter.