Allied Health Pre-Meds

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by EMDream, May 16, 2007.

1. EMDream

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, just wondering if there are any other allied health pre meds out there. I'm a PA (just graduating actually), who has after some thought decided to go the long route after all. I'd lvoe to hear from others who were/are NP's/PA's/nurses/PT's/OT's or other "allied" professions before embarking on this. What's your experience so far?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm a respiratory therapist and echocardiographer.

4. EMDream

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :) What stage in teh application process are you? How are you finding it?

5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was a registered respiratory therapist with specialty in Pediatric-Perinatal when I applied to medical school. My background in respiratory therapy was nothing short of helpful both in the application process (had a 4.0 GPA in RT school) and in medical school (physiology, pathology, clinical year). Almost every one of my interviewers for both medical school and residency, commented on my prior work as a respiratory therapist.

Allied health experience is good in terms of having plenty of clinical experience and ease with patient care. It can sometimes be a problem if you believe that you have some superior advantage over your fellow medical school classmates who do not have your clinical exposure. One of my classmates who was a PA was quite obnoxious during class (he always interrupted the professors with some example that he had seen). He actually ended up failing out because sadly, medical education is quite a haul for anyone regardless of prior background.

Use your experience and share your knowledge whenever you can. Realize that nothing you have seen or done is really comparable to what you have to go through to master your medical school coursework. Allied health work is great but taken within the context of how you apply it. Good luck!

6. EMDream

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hmm, that WOULD be obnoxious. Kinda like the paramedic in our PA class who interupted a lot. Obviously there is an advantage in certain aspects, I think for me it would probably be in clinicals and physical diagnosis, luckily I know how to do a complete h&p. I have a nice headstart on the basics of medicine. But I think there are a lot of complex zebras we didn't learn in PA school. That's why I want to goto med school, to narrow that information gap. And to get a stronger foundation on the molecular basis and pathology of disease.(I don't realllly care about embryology :p) The thing I noticed from watching my fiance go through it is there's a LOT more molecular level stuff and biochemistry, and a lot less pharmacology and focus on DDX. I'm really in it to get the residency though. I think residency is really where you pull ahead and learn things because you are THERE so much, and you rotate through the specifics of that field instead of just one broad rotation in one aspect of it.

7. Rocky Balboa

Rocky Balboa The Greatest Underdog
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey mind telling me the process in which you are undergoing to become a Physian's assistant? I am currently a high school senior and plan on getting a license to get into an allied health profession this summer and then work at a hospital aith this license if I get hired during my four years of pre-med as as an undergrad in college. That way I can get clinical experience and help pay for college. A win-win situation.

8. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Be aware that it may be difficult to find a place that is willing to hire you with the kind of schedule that a college student has. Are you planning on going to school part time while you're working?

9. Rocky Balboa

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    no I plan on being a full time student studying pre-med as an undergrad.

10. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Then I would be careful to get licensed as something that is in high enough demand in your area or the area where you'll be going to school that you can work flexible hours. I thought I would be able to work part-time during my freshman year, and I'm glad that I didn't, but you are also in a much different situation as far as family is concerned. In any case, good luck! :luck: It's hard to work and go to school, but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. And bear in mind that this is just my personal opinion, so feel free to ignore it :p

11. EMDream

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think you know what a PA is? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    It's at minimum a four year program to be a Physician Assistant, most are now Masters requiring a Bachelors.

12. imagined space

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Seconded, a PA is not a temp cert that you get in h.s or college to get a P/T job at a clinic. For that you want an EMT-B or other intro grade EMS training. Rocky, if you fancy yourself a future doctor you should acquaint yourself with the various allied health careers. These are the professionals that you will be working with.

13. Glorified

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a brand new EMT-Basic and the only experience I have was with clinicals. Full-time student this fall, hoping to work per-diem as an EMT.

14. Rocky Balboa

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What about becoming a Sugical Technologist. Through research I found out that it is a 11 month course. You think a pre-med would have time to take that kind of a job and still focus on his pre-med studies?

15. slb

slb New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rocky: I think you would be well served in looking at the want ads in your area. See what jobs are out there for part-time allied health careers, during the night shift (since you will be going to school during the day). It's my sense (though I could be wrong) that you'd be better off with an EMT, CNA or medical assistant cert, since I'm guessing that the demand for surgical assistants is higher during the daytime. Keep in mind that most of these careers are just that, careers, and employers might not want a surgical tech who sees it as a one-day-a-week prep for med school. Find a job with high demand that you can get certified in fairly quickly, with limited expense.

I am an ultrasound tech - I work full time and take prereqs at night. I don't think it will help me with my coursework in medical school, but at least I will already be comfortable in a hospital.

16. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Reading back through Rocky's posts, I don't sense that this kid has an entirely realistic view of the way things work in the world. I mean he talked about going to med school just to spite his parents.

17. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm an SLP. Taking the MCAT 5/31 and applying this year.

18. ptdoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a PT practicing for about 5 years now. I took all my pre-reqs in college and then took the MCAT in April. Being from CA, I applied to 30 schools, was offered interviews at 6, and accepted at 2. Not my top choice, but a school I think I will be happy at. I think the hardest thing about applying for me was getting recs from professors. I haven't seen any of them for four years, so I think that hurt my chances a little.