Allopathic Interests II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boy, did I open a kettle of fish!!

Well, this list is a continuation of Allopathic Interests...which has gotten too long and therfore too long to D/L.

I think we have an excellent and spirited debate going...let's keep it up!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad.

I think the debate should not be continue because it is meaningless. It seems to be we will never able to change someone's opinion by just words. They have to experience the differences.

Analogy: It is extremely difficult to change one's religious belief.

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited 03-11-99).]

I agree with Henry. Whether we are going to become MDs or DOs, we are both on the same team. We all want to help people recover from illness and keep them healthy. MD or DO, we are the same animal, we just have different philosophies on how to approach patient care. MDs are become more holistic, whereas DOs are finally overcoming discrimination to enter the specialties and subspecialties of medicine. Most likely we will all cross paths whether we are doing our clerkships or our residencies, and so I think it would been the best to address ourselves as future doctors, not allopaths or osteopaths. Good luck to all those starting medical school this year, to all those applying for next year, and to those students who are currently in medical school. I wish you the best.

EDGAR

Members don't see this ad :)
AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! Big Hugs for Everyone!!!

All,

I know that this will also open back up another big can of worms, but....

According to the AMA, an allopathic school confers a degree of Medicine or MD. To see this for yourself, go to the following site: http://www.ama-assn.org/aps/physdcred.htm.

So... When I, or anyone else, compairs MDs and DOs by saying osteopathic versus allopathic, they are quite correct in saying it. Dave, thought this would help your arguement with Prefontaine.

Have a great allopathic or osteopathic day!

Jason

To be totally honest...you are correct in the assumption that we'll probably not convert anyone here. But, I find it interesting to exchange our ideas on the philosophies. As long as it is done in a constructive manner, both DO and MD want-to-be's benefit...However, like you both pointed out, we are, or will be, on the same team. Being on the same team does not mandate every member have the same opinions/mindset on every issue...if that was true, why bother having a team?

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited 03-12-99).]

I disagree with the moot point theory that Henry has presented. While it is unlikely that any minds will be changed by the participants, people like me who read through the debate may be enlightened to the issues being debated.

When I apply to medical schools this summer I would like to know as much as I can about what I am getting into. While allopath and osteopath may be synonymous to me, it appears others have biases that may affect me should I choose to go one way or the other.

Debates aren't to change minds, they are to publicly discuss issues. I learned alot from these discussions and I thank every person that had something to contribute.

Jason28,

If you have a copy of a medical dictionary written by the AMA it defines the term physician by: a holder of a Doctor of Medicine Degree OR a holder of a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree from an accredited school of medicine or osteopathic medicine. Physicians are able to specialize in all forms of surgery or medicine, prescribe medications, order tests, and are licensed by an approved medical board (usually issued by the state of the physician's practice). ALL physicians must complete medical school and complete a residency.

And the Federal Government as well as the AMA recognizes both MDs and DOs as COMPLETE PHYSICIANS. The only thing that separates them is the different ways the professions look at human health. In fact, there are a number of MDs out there that practice osteopathic manipulation, acupuncture, and homeopathy. Again, as MDs or DOs we are just variations of the same theme......

EDGAR
Class of 2003
WesternU/COMP

Hi Sheon,
I am glad that you have learned from the discussions. This shows that you have an open mind and you decideded to learn even before you come into this site. You, and many other like you, will definitley benefit from this site.

Unfortunately, very often people that come into this site are for the sake of challenge and argue, and they already have their mind settled.

I think we, the DO and MD have not learn one thing; actually both professions are learning from each other.

Allopathic medicine is approaching a more holistic medicine and osteopathic medicine are increasing its research to back up the theory.

Knowing the difference is good, but what after that? Should we learn from others in order to improve ourselves? Or should we single out ourselves?

Just imagine, if all the allopathic schools still teach their students in the traditional medicine, who will suffer? Not us but the patients.

On the other hand, if the DO are not learning how to apply the OMT with the conventional medicine, I don't think we are improving ourselves. We need to have more researh to back up our theory. May be by then, OMT will be much more well-known and bering used by more physicians.

I think people are more open-minded than you might suspect. I always had that pre-conceived notion that an MD was better than a DO, until I did a lot of reading on these forums. I actually have a great deal of respect for Osteopathic schools now. It was just ignorance. But maybe I'm an exception.

I am hoping to become a MD...vs. DO simply for the reason that I have worked in a hospital for 14 years and don't remember meeting a DO..... There are only a few in Louisiana

i think Louisiana is the least DO friendly state. they have some different laws regarding licensing DOs or something. not to say theyre "unfriendly" to DOs, just the least friendly.