Allopathic match and failed comlex step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetlenovo88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got devastating news that I failed step II comlex CE. This is my only black mark on my record. I am scheduled to go through the allopathic match in March. Rank lists close in about 8 days.

I am thinking I just quietly retake the exam and pass it without saying anything?

I am so upset right now

Members don't see this ad.

I just got devastating news that I failed step II comlex CE. This is my only black mark on my record. I am scheduled to go through the allopathic match in March. Rank lists close in about 8 days.

I am thinking I just quietly retake the exam and pass it without saying anything?

I am so upset right now
I wouldn't say anything. Most programs only require that you pass step 2 prior to the start of residency. I would retake it as soon as possible as you're cutting it close to graduation. Good luck.

I wouldn't say anything. Most programs only require that you pass step 2 prior to the start of residency. I would retake it as soon as possible as you're cutting it close to graduation. Good luck.

thanks for the support, I wonder if I will be able to sign the residency contract when I match without problem?

thanks for the support, I wonder if I will be able to sign the residency contract when I match without problem?

It's a question of whether the programs know that you took step 2, and whether they have access to your results - if you checked the 'automatic' send of scores.

Wait you're saying that we don't get our contracts until all exams are taken and passed? In the DO world I thought the rules are that we our contracts within 10 days or so post match and have to send it back signed within another 30 days. Are there exceptions to this?

And to the op - I'm sorry about your situation - I hope it isn't an issue... Good luck.

Last edited:
hmm interesting

It's a question of whether the programs know that you took step 2, and whether they have access to your results - if you checked the 'automatic' send of scores.

I do not think I checked automatic, as there is a button there for me to resubmit my scores, is there another way to check?

Wait you're saying that we don't get our contracts until all exams are taken and passed? In the DO world I thought the rules are that we our contracts within 10 days or so post match and have to send it back signed within another 30 days. Are there exceptions to this?

I am doing an allopathic match, not the DO world. Also, my question was concerning whether I can truthfully sign the contract and not have to inform the program of my failed score.

I am doing an allopathic match, not the DO world. Also, my question was concerning whether I can truthfully sign the contract and not have to inform the program of my failed score.

Sorry I misunderstood and got sidetracked...

Last edited:
Doubt theyd require your comlex 2 score. At this point many have probably nearly finalized their rank lists with or without your level 2 scores (or even step 2 scores for many programs).

You do need it to graduate however. Better get going. Good luck on the Match and the CE.

I do not think I checked automatic, as there is a button there for me to resubmit my scores, is there another way to check?

For comlex, there was no automatic button that I recall. I only saw it for the usmle. Good luck!

Also, as I'm sure you are aware, if they require passing the usmle step 2 then you will have to pass the comlex step 2 before starting. Mostly that's all they require as far as getting started. Also, I don't know if you are at one of the schools, but many require passing of step 2 before graduation / getting a diploma, so that may also be slowed by the process.

Again, good luck with everything!

Hi,

I am in the same boat, have a great record, never failed anything before, and just found out I failed COMLEX level 2 by 2 points. I am scheduled for the MD match in March.

Did you end up matching? What should I do?

Hi,

I am in the same boat, have a great record, never failed anything before, and just found out I failed COMLEX level 2 by 2 points. I am scheduled for the MD match in March.

Did you end up matching? What should I do?
Don't tell anyone unless you're asked.

If asked, tell the truth.

Take it again and pass it ASAP.

Passing before you start is going to be a condition of the contract, as is completing your remaining med school course work. You can sign the contract, but if you don't pass, the program has an "out", and you may not end up with a residency.