Allopathic Residency without AOA approval

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xp2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical question: What would happen if a DO gets an allopathic pgy1 residency position in one of those 5 states where you have to complete your osteopathic internship to practice, however they never get approval of their internship year by the AOA. I would assume they could still complete the residency program, but would have to move out of state when finished to practice?

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a hypothetical question: What would happen if a DO gets an allopathic pgy1 residency position in one of those 5 states where you have to complete your osteopathic internship to practice, however they never get approval of their internship year by the AOA. I would assume they could still complete the residency program, but would have to move out of state when finished to practice?

What do you all think?

That's exactly what would happen - you'd finish residency and leave the state to practice. That having been said, those 5 states aren't that great (from a malpractice, etc viewpoint) to set up shop anyway so moving out may be for the best.

What do you all think?

You need the internship to practice, not to train in residency or fellowship.
On paper, you wouldn't be able to practice there, but nothing is absolutely set in stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not so fast my friends. Yes, you could use the Residency Trainee Permit to train at a particular hospital, but some programs REQUIRE their residents to be licensed by their second or third year of residency. You would have to check with the particular program that you want to do your residency with. Some programs require you pass step III of USMLE or DO boards before they will let you start your PGY-2. I have seen a few residents suspended or let go because they didn't pass step III. When you sign your contract, some of these places will let you know, and have you sign that you agree to it. Never listen to other medical students or even residents like me. Check with the programs you are interested in, especially in those 5 states. Don't trust the program coordinators either. Get the info straight from the residency director.

Not so fast my friends. Yes, you could use the Residency Trainee Permit to train at a particular hospital, but some programs REQUIRE their residents to be licensed by their second or third year of residency. You would have to check with the particular program that you want to do your residency with. Some programs require you pass step III of USMLE or DO boards before they will let you start your PGY-2. I have seen a few residents suspended or let go because they didn't pass step III. When you sign your contract, some of these places will let you know, and have you sign that you agree to it. Never listen to other medical students or even residents like me. Check with the programs you are interested in, especially in those 5 states. Don't trust the program coordinators either. Get the info straight from the residency director.

I quite agree...do not end up like one person applying for path residency in , was accepte dan dmade all arrangemtns ot move when program called and said unless you alreayd have internship we cannot accept you.. the resident had to change plans in mid course and go to a place he did not want to go...

I quite agree...do not end up like one person applying for path residency in , was accepte dan dmade all arrangemtns ot move when program called and said unless you alreayd have internship we cannot accept you.. the resident had to change plans in mid course and go to a place he did not want to go...
path is for the most part an exception. i did a rotation at UF and one of their 1st yr path residents is a DO, according to whom it's not a big deal. it if was, she wouldn't be 4 months into her PGY1 yr already.
as for other specialties, may be a problem.

What do you all think?

Considering that it's not that hard to get your first year approved by the AOA, this doesn't happen in actual practice. You can apply to have your internship retroactively approved as well, if you for some reason fail to do it at the time.

They recently loosened the requirements on all this, to let more people get AOA approval from their training without a hassle. (Here's the current rules.) They had little choice but to loosen them, since upwards of two thirds of DO's are now doing ACGME residency training.(link) I think the success rate for those who applied to the AOA to have their training approved was something like 97% approval.

bth