Allopathic versus Osteopathic Family Medicine Residency Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residentdoc8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the key differences were between Allopathic and Osteopathic Family Medicine Residency Programs are-- some key features I can think of would be that Allopathic programs would place a greater emphasis on research and academics while Osteopathic programs would geared more towards community/rural training-- is this a correct assumption? Anyone who can comment based on their own experiences?

I'm currently and Osteopathic med student applying for residency programs and am wondering if I should bother applying at allopathic residency programs-- I don't have the best board scores and am not sure if i'd be competitive enough for allopathic programs-- I'm just curious to see what I may be missing out on. My goal is really just to practice-- I don't plan to go onto academics or research.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated- thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Really? I went to an AOA program and we had academic lectures EVERY SINGLE LUNCH HOUR for 3 years and an EKG lecture EVERY FRIDAY for 3 years. Now you tell me how that is less academic than an MD program? And what would you say is rural/community training? Is that supposed to be some specific type of class?

I'm flabbergasted at your questions on this. Be happy you are a doctor. Be happy you are a DO. If your board scores are low be happy that a program will take you.

It's up to you to decide what type of doctor you want to be - and I don't mean by specialty- taking care of patients comes from the heart whether you are in a rural or urban setting.

Quit thinking the grass is greener. Just be grateful.

I was told by a MD physician where I am doing rotations- if you are doing FM, it does not matter AOA/ACGME. Both are great options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I didn't mean to spark any controversy or deep emotions, again, this is WHY family medicine/primary care has a bad rep-- too much automatic defensive attitude when it wasn't necessary to be begin with!

I rotated at an allopathic institution in a specialty outside of FM and it seemed as though there was a greater push for publications/research/speaking at national conferences/poster presentations/evidence based medicine via journal clubs on a regular basis (that's what I meant by more academic). I've rotated through several Osteo FM rotations where it seemed much more laid back- no emphasis on research or publications, more focused on practicing clinical medicine, didactics were less based on a journal article but more based on practical community based practice topics.

Let me clarify-- I'm NOT pushing for one or another, but I don't have time in my schedule to rotate an an allopathic residency program to compare the two so I was seeking advice on SDN (which I wonder if it's a mistake sometimes given the response i've received)-- I have to decide whether I will apply for Allopathic programs or just to put all my eggs in one basket and apply for Osteopathic programs. Let me EMPHASIZE-- I'm interested only in practicing clinical medicine, I will NEVER be teaching at an academic institution, so allopathic FM programs most likely be a poor match, but again-- i'm seeking advice from those who have gone through or are going through MD FM programs....maybe there's a greater benefit that i'm missing?? Again, I will never know until I ask from those who have been there and done it!

this is WHY family medicine/primary care has a bad rep-- too much automatic defensive attitude when it wasn't necessary to be begin with!

Um...no. It's SDN. You know, "Student DOctor Network" (You know what that "DO" part stands for, right? Yes, indeed. That's how it all started.)

Um...no. It's SDN. You know, "Student DOctor Network" (You know what that "DO" part stands for, right? Yes, indeed. That's how it all started.)

I think we need to emphasize the STUDENT part. That's why these incessant irritating questions keep coming up that are irrelevant in the long run and those who perpetuate the stigma are students who don't know any better.

I was wondering what the key differences were between Allopathic and Osteopathic Family Medicine Residency Programs are-- some key features I can think of would be that Allopathic programs would place a greater emphasis on research and academics while Osteopathic programs would geared more towards community/rural training-- is this a correct assumption? Anyone who can comment based on their own experiences?

I'm currently and Osteopathic med student applying for residency programs and am wondering if I should bother applying at allopathic residency programs-- I don't have the best board scores and am not sure if i'd be competitive enough for allopathic programs-- I'm just curious to see what I may be missing out on. My goal is really just to practice-- I don't plan to go onto academics or research.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated- thank you!

1. Residencies are either university or community based. Community programs, osteo or allo are the way to go if you want to do a lot, not compete with other residents and practice elsewhere besides the big city.
2. There are also combined (allo/osteo) residencies (I'm in one). Be aware that if you choose this path, you will soon be required to take the ABFM along with the osteopathic boards. It's stupid but ACGME uses the ABFM to gage how successful combined residencies are, so if 1/2 the class are DOs and don't take the ABFM, there is a 50% fail rate which makes the program look bad.
3. It was said earlier to go where you will be [most] happy. I cannot emphasize this enough. Enjoy your 4th year of medical school, seeing all the programs, and traveling. Best of luck in the match.

How about the consideration for fellowships? Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not double checking this but I'm under the impression that there are more fellowships available from the ACGME which requires a candidate to complete an ACGME residency.

1. Residencies are either university or community based. Community programs, osteo or allo are the way to go if you want to do a lot, not compete with other residents and practice elsewhere besides the big city.
2. There are also combined (allo/osteo) residencies (I'm in one). Be aware that if you choose this path, you will soon be required to take the ABFM along with the osteopathic boards. It's stupid but ACGME uses the ABFM to gage how successful combined residencies are, so if 1/2 the class are DOs and don't take the ABFM, there is a 50% fail rate which makes the program look bad.
3. It was said earlier to go where you will be [most] happy. I cannot emphasize this enough. Enjoy your 4th year of medical school, seeing all the programs, and traveling. Best of luck in the match.
WOW!!!! This is BY FAR the BEST and most INFORMATIVE post so far!!!!- I cannot THANK YOU enough!!! I did not know about being required to the take the ABFM boards too at some point soon-- do you know when this will be in effect? I did not come across this information anywhere. Thank you so much again!

Osteopathic programs have less of an OB component on average because of the residency requirements regarding OB.

Clinic requirements as far as required patient numbers are for the most part the same. When I was looking I wanted a program that had in-house lab and imaging (xray and U/S). Most osteopathic programs I looked at did not have this.

There is also the matter of unopposed residencies and unopposed hospitals. Many people assume the have the opportunity to do more in an unopposed program. This is not always the case. Applicants lose sight of the opposed hospital aspect. At unopposed hospitals you will see more pathology because it is not competing for patients. Larger cities with several hospitals and 1 or 2 tertiary centers may have a residency program then there are several community hospitals in the city that may have a program. You may miss caring for the really sick patients because they were either never transported to your ED, were transferred out of your ED, or they were transferred when they started going down hill.

If the residency is in a city with a children's hospital, many parents will take their sick children to the Peds ED, so it is imperative that the program sends you to the children's hospital for rotations otherwise you miss a god bit of pediatrics.