allopathic versus osteopathic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpvm99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question regarding going to medical school versus osteopathic school. Is there really a difference?? I have heard from a few individuals in the medical field that being a DO isn't as respectable as the "time-honored" venerable MD. DO you have any suggestions/advice? Is there an advantage to choosing one tract over the other?? Thanks, Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Bill, many posts and replies have been written about this topic, and most of them can be found under the "Osteopathic Bound" and "Osteopathic" categories. Peruse the archives and you're sure to find the answers to your questions. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's with all the necrobumping lately? Can we get a mod to clean this up?

Reactions: 1 users
Wait a minute this thread is from 2000. Why would that kid (@Jack91 )bump this? Hasn't he seen MD vs. DO wars before?

Both are physicians with the same privileges but arguments can be made with regards to being competitive for certain specialties come residency time. Honestly, Jack91, you're new so it's understandable why you did this but understand that starting a DO vs. MD thread is literally the epitome of trolling on SDN regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Why can't we just make a sticky with the official statistics of "DO v MD" with all the objective data and then the next posts of that sticky can be of links to previous threads. I too have had others eyeroll at me and tell me to use the search function but I have to admit that that function doesn't neatly sort things out by reputability and it requires some digging. It would be much easier if we just had a sticky, right? I'm sure someone would be willing to take on this task.

Edit: See The Buff OP's link to Lee's (SDN mod's) post. It's effective but I still think a neutral account should be brought forth. I mean, Lee (being a physician) is 100% correct. A fully realized M.D. physician is the same thing as a fully realized D.O. physician. At the same time, (I don't want to start anything here) but there are some neutral statistics that show a preference for M.D. students for M.D. residencies...which I guess makes sense.

Last edited: