Allopathic vs Osteopathic residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbaGump187

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that DO's finishing osteopathic residency are not as competative for prestigious positions as DO's finishing allopathic residencies.
I have also heard that when applying for some of those jobs they will look at your board score. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

what's a prestigious position?

I just want a job after residency.

FMcFP

jd

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging by your posts, I would just retake the MCAT or apply to allopathic schools with your current score. I don't think you're going to be happy as a DO since you appear to be mostly concerned about your image.

Not concerned about image but opportunity and hirability at big well known hospitals

Not concerned about image but opportunity and hirability at big well known hospitals

Sure. Whatever you need to tell yourself. Why don't you search the hospital websites and look at their physician directory.

Seems like almost all osteopathic physicians at large non-osteopathic hospitals did their residency in ACGME program. This seems to me as a message? Are you finding something different?

Seems like almost all osteopathic physicians at large non-osteopathic hospitals did their residency in ACGME program. This seems to me as a message? Are you finding something different?

I can neither agree nor disagree with your statement, since there are no data presented for your argument. On the other hand, if it concerns you then apply to an ACGME, or dually accredited, residency when the time comes for you to match. Apply to programs that are good fit for you. You don't have to do an AOA residency if you don't want. Nobody's going to force you to do that; you do have some choice, more or less. My research tells me that board scores and rotating in, and performing well at, the institute/program that you plan on matching will be of significant benefit come match time.

i have heard this as well, and it may be true. i don't know.

what IS true is that osteopathic schools are mostly designed to produce primary care physicians, an occupation which seems to lack the notoriety/prestige/whatever of some other specialties. if you want a non-primary care specialty, you're probably better off going to a school that doesn't put "primary care physicians" in its mission statement... the short of it is: pick a school that fits your career goals.

yes, osteopathic schools are generally less competitive, and that may have some effect on job placement. duh. HOWEVER, i'm willing to bet that your own ability to perform (on, say, the licensing exams) will have a FAR greater effect on you getting a more competitive residency and more competitive job. again, duh. this gets me back to my original point: pick a school that fits your career goals.

and then study your tail off and ace the exams.