Allopaths getting OMM training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpkall

Darwin Award Winner
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I know, I know, "If you want to do OMM, be a DO!" ;)

I was just curious, though, I swear.

I like the osteopathic philosophy and the principles behind a lot of OMM; I applied to osteo schools but on interview day the only osteo school that felt "right" for me was 1000 miles away from home AND twice as expensive than my state allo school (KCOM).

I was wondering if allo physicians can get training in OMM that leads to some kind of certificate or certification. I've heard that Harvard has some kind of extension class for OMM, but I'm not sure if this is treated as true training in a genuine modality for treatment and pain management, or if they teach it more as a "well, this is what them osteopaths do" gag or something. Not that I don't have complete faith in Harvard trained allopaths to treat OMM with the respect it deserves or anything...

Anyone hear about these programs, or talked to allopaths who've gone and completed them? I think OMM is a fantastic thing for ANY primary care physician to know and implement in practice--it can be so important for connecting with patients and helping them to empower themselves beyond the typical pharmaceutical/biomedical model of illness these days.

Thanks, all, for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

rpkall said:
Hey all.

I like the osteopathic philosophy and the principles behind a lot of OMM; I applied to osteo schools but on interview day the only osteo school that felt "right" for me was 1000 miles away from home AND twice as expensive than my state allo school (KCOM).

I was wondering if allo physicians can get training in OMM that leads to some kind of certificate or certification. I've heard that Harvard has some kind of extension class for OMM, but I'm not sure if this is treated as true training in a genuine modality for treatment and pain management, or if they teach it more as a "well, this is what them osteopaths do" gag or something. Not that I don't have complete faith in Harvard trained allopaths to treat OMM with the respect it deserves or anything...

Anyone hear about these programs, or talked to allopaths who've gone and completed them? I think OMM is a fantastic thing for ANY primary care physician to know and implement in practice--it can be so important for connecting with patients and helping them to empower themselves beyond the typical pharmaceutical/biomedical model of illness these days.

there is definitely another posting about MSUCOM's training for MDs. If you do a search, Im sure you can find it

rpkall said:
Hey all.

The harvard course that took place last August was taught by a DO PM&R doc, other attendings, and with help from some DO OMM fellow(s) that are PM&R residents. It appeared from the flyer to cover the major techniques for certain 'major' areas i.e. neck, low back. I did not attend but saw the flyer-anyone who went/taught it could describe it much better.

I personally feel that teaching more MDs OMM is a good thing, then they appreciate what we do and will probably refer more to DOs who use it. DOs also would tend to become the gold standard for manual techniques-for MDs right now that is more likely to be a chiropractor. I also hope more DOs will use it in their practice and not feel a need to be more MD-like.

I agree with you-OMM/OMT is very valuable especially for primary care physicians. Even if you decide not to master the techniques and use them, you will have a much wider perspective on pain, musculoskeletal function, and how to diagnose and treat those problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Harvard seminar was for one-weekend, and would hardly teach physicians enough to be useful in practice.

One of our OMM INSTRUCTORS is an M.D.

She took all of the OMM courses, and did the rotations in real time with a medical school class, while working as a pediatrician in town.

She uses OMM in her practice.

To be honest, if you complete allopathic medical school you will be more than intelligent enough to pick up ANY OMM text and understand the material.

bustbones26 said:
To be honest, if you complete allopathic medical school you will be more than intelligent enough to pick up ANY OMM text and understand the material.

You obviously are unfamiliar with OMM.

The ability to perform OMM with effectivess requires many hours spent practicing the techniques. Reading the text would be of little use without practical experience.

bustbones26 said:

does this same line of thinking hold true for neuro surgery - i could get a book. :laugh:

TUCOM class of 2009

rpkall said:
Hey all.

The founder of Osteopathic Medicine was an allopathic physician himself, and some of his closest disciples were MDs.
OMM is great, and it is a huge benefit to society.
With the political outlook on things, and how our education has
changed over the years, it would seem almost impossible to recieve a diplomate in Osteopathy anymore without going to an accredited
Osteopathic Medical school.
Good Luck! And best success in life.

History of Osteopathic Medicine:
(http://history.aoa-net.org/Osteopathy/osteopathy.htm)

Three years later, Still opened the American School of Osteopathy. Early students learned anatomy from William Smith, M.D., a Scotsman who had studied medicine in Edinburgh and had become interested in osteopathy while traveling in the United States. He was the first to receive a D.O. degree. Still taught osteopathic medical practice by lecture and demonstration and through practice with his own patients. The ASO awarded 18 diplomas in March, 1894. More schools opened after the ASO, and graduates spread around the country in private practices.

rpkall- I was in the very same situation several years ago. Identical actually. I ended up opting to go to KCOM, as you can see.

bustbones26 said:

This is bunk. Previous posters summed it up. logical understanding of techniques isn't the issue- what needs to be learned is skill with the hands- and the philosophy.

The philosophy can start to be understood by picking up AT Still's "Philosophy and Mechanical Principles of Osteopathy" which is out of print but may be ordered through various museums such as the one at KCOM (and occasionally on ebay). Runs for about $40. Try to read this first year in med school- it will change the way you study anatomy and it will change the way you think about medicine. You will be more osteopathic than most DO's.

Skill with the hands takes a lot of work with skilled supervision- I would try shadowing a specialst (as much as possible) first and second year, and pick up OMM rotations for electives 3rd and 4th. If you really apply yourself you can become quite good.

I would also attend the yearly AAO convocation if you can- you will meet many contacts there that will be helpful to your education.

good luck,
michael

Pick up any OMM textbook.

What is in the text that we learn that allopaths do not learn?

DO not allopaths learn anatomy?
Neurology?
Orthopaedics?
Musculoskeletal testing?

The ONLY thing in the books that they do not teach in allopaths schools is somatic dysfunction, and yes, the techniques.

So the science of OMM can be EASILY understood by ANY medical professional. Its philosophy and history can be understood by anybody with a 10th grade education.

Now practicing the techniques. I agree, this is something that does take practice. But be honest, how many DO students do you know that are "experts" in these techniques?

I am a DO, and I guarantee that there are many of my colleagues that can perform OMM much more proficient than I can. Why, because they take the time to practice it more than I. But the basics, the history, the Science, the philosophy, this if stuff I will not forget. This is stuff that an interested MD can learn!!!

Now if this guy wants to be an MD and take the time to become proficient in the techniques, then yes, he would have to practice, he would need a DO to preceptor him to ensure that he is performing the techniques proficiently. This I do agree.

But hey, that it is just my opinion that OMM is not rocket science, it is not some secret code. It is very selfish for any of us to believe that OMM is something that no other person deserves to learn.

Thanks, all of you, for your honest replies.

I think I may order a copy of Still's old book, and try to look at healing through a different looking glass while I learn; I think it would enrich my experience at allo school.

Regarding the hands-on skill of manipulation: is it something that you must be certified to do through an osteopathic licensing board? Is there an exam/practical you must pass? I know DOs take the COMLEX, which is the USMLE+OMM, but in order to do OMM in practice as one who only took the USMLE, what kind of licensure is there?

I appreciate everyone's help. Best of luck to you all in your respective programs. :)

rpkall said:

I think I may order a copy of Still's old book, and try to look at healing through a different looking glass while I learn; I think it would enrich my experience at allo school.

Regarding the hands-on skill of manipulation: is it something that you must be certified to do through an osteopathic licensing board? Is there an exam/practical you must pass? I know DOs take the COMLEX, which is the USMLE+OMM, but in order to do OMM in practice as one who only took the USMLE, what kind of licensure is there?

I appreciate everyone's help. Best of luck to you all in your respective programs. :)

You have to be a DO if you want to bill specifically for OMM I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the DO side of things.

There are a some states where if you want a medical lisence, and are a DO, you must perform an AOA internship (or ACGME transitional year that is approved as AOA internship equivalent) and yes, pass an OMT practical after your COMLEX III exam.

Those states are: MI,PA,OH, WV, FL, and probably a few others that I am forgetting, so others can fill in the blanks here.

And yes if you want to bill for OMT you do have to be a DO. But don't let this stop you from learning OMT or the osteopathic philosophy.

In the past, DO's were very open to learning complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in addition to OMT. For this reason we were most likely viewed as quacks by the MD's. However, today, many MD's are very open to CAM: accupunture, biofeedback, herbals, massage therapy, etc. Unfortuantely, a great deal of this CAM is not paid for by health insurance and many MD/DO docs are making a nice "cash" practice from this. Perhaps this is something you should consider.

per our OMM chair, if you are an MD, and take the appropriate CME course you can bill for OMM.

bustbones26 said:
From the DO side of things.

There are a some states where if you want a medical lisence, and are a DO, you must perform an AOA internship (or ACGME transitional year that is approved as AOA internship equivalent) and yes, pass an OMT practical after your COMLEX III exam.

Those states are: MI,PA,OH, WV, FL, and probably a few others that I am forgetting, so others can fill in the blanks here.

And yes if you want to bill for OMT you do have to be a DO. But don't let this stop you from learning OMT or the osteopathic philosophy.

In the past, DO's were very open to learning complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in addition to OMT. For this reason we were most likely viewed as quacks by the MD's. However, today, many MD's are very open to CAM: accupunture, biofeedback, herbals, massage therapy, etc. Unfortuantely, a great deal of this CAM is not paid for by health insurance and many MD/DO docs are making a nice "cash" practice from this. Perhaps this is something you should consider.

Don't forget Oklahoma

Docgeorge said:
per our OMM chair, if you are an MD, and take the appropriate CME course you can bill for OMM.

Yup, we have an MD that is actually an OMM instructor at our school.

She is a pediatrician, and bills for OMM in her practice. After she completed her MD at Baylor, she discovered OMM, and took the OMM classes in real time with medical students at OSU-COM, while working as a pediatrician in town.

bustbones26 said:

Neurology?
Orthopaedics?
Musculoskeletal testing?

The ONLY thing in the books that they do not teach in allopaths schools is somatic dysfunction, and yes, the techniques.

So the science of OMM can be EASILY understood by ANY medical professional. Its philosophy and history can be understood by anybody with a 10th grade education.

Now practicing the techniques. I agree, this is something that does take practice. But be honest, how many DO students do you know that are "experts" in these techniques?

I am a DO, and I guarantee that there are many of my colleagues that can perform OMM much more proficient than I can. Why, because they take the time to practice it more than I. But the basics, the history, the Science, the philosophy, this if stuff I will not forget. This is stuff that an interested MD can learn!!!

Now if this guy wants to be an MD and take the time to become proficient in the techniques, then yes, he would have to practice, he would need a DO to preceptor him to ensure that he is performing the techniques proficiently. This I do agree.

But hey, that it is just my opinion that OMM is not rocket science, it is not some secret code. It is very selfish for any of us to believe that OMM is something that no other person deserves to learn.

Allopaths may learn that information, but show me one fourth year allopathic student that can diagnose musculoskeletal injuries as well as an osteopathic student. Yes, you get experience in an orthopedic surgery residency or physical therapy/rehab residency, but not as a student.

Yes, all osteopathic students learn techniques that they will use, at least on their family, friends, and coworkers (i.e. HVLA.) When staff at hospitals finds out that DO's are around, they request the techniques. In fact, there are allopaths that I have seen approach osteopaths to treat their somatic dysfunction while in the hospital.

Lets not make this an "MD vs. DO" thread, or a "real DO vs wanna-be MD" thread. Like i said before, I do believe anyone with sufficient motivation can learn to be good at this stuff with proper supervision and hard work, but you CANNOT master osteopathy from a book- and it DOES take months and years to refine your sensory perception.

Bustbones- I can’t blame you for confusing the AOA propaganda of ‘body-mind-spirit’ and holistic medicine with osteopathic philosophy- since this is really all the “philosophy” most schools teach. Think about it- those touchy-feely concepts are not unique to osteopathy at all- in fact, they are common sense to just about anyone who’s popped a book on alternative medicine. And yes a 10th grader could understand these, and yes, AT talked about them- but...

Osteopathic philosophy is MUCH deeper than this, and actually VERY difficult to fully grasp, which is perhaps why it is skimmed over in such a superficial way at many schools. I would assert that even many who specialize in OMM never fully understand.

So, lets give the example of an asthma case- 8 y.o. presents with an acute asthma exacerbation.

What do you do in the allopathic model? If you are smart- you look up UptoDate online and see that:

Measuring changes in PFR is critical for diagnosis as well as follow-up.
Patient education is crucial to prevent reoccurrence.

For treatment:
Standard of care in ER: albuterol 2.5mg continuous flow nebulization every 20 minutes for 3 doses- or maybe 10mg continuous over one hour for critical patients.

Metered dose inhailers (MDI’s) with lower dosing, however, are far more efficient- and are now recommended by the research literature.

Ipatroprium bromide is recommended for patients not responsive to albuterol. The studies have shown variable results with ipatroprium, and they’ve shown no benefit to co-administering it with albuterol, since most respond to albuterol alone.

Of course over the long run you may need daily albuterol- with underuse of meds leading to increased exacerbations and increased mortality, and overuse causing risks of increased asthma mortality as well as beta agonist tolerance and worsened airway hyper-reactivity.

Sounds good?
What does an osteopath contribute? Touch their shoulder as you talk to make them feel more comfortable with you? Ask another 20 minutes more history? Maybe crack their back to make them ache less? Rib raising? Or perhaps we have nothing to offer because this isn’t a musculoskeletal disease? Ha. If this is the way you think- you’ve missed the point of osteopathic philosophy by a mile.

Note that thus far- we have treated the disease (Asthma) and nothing unique about the patient. State of the art medicine can treat diseases very well, and manage symptoms very well. CURES however come from the host side. Allopathic treatment, unfortunatly, has few tools to directly target the host, and the host is as important as the pathogen/disease process in recovery of disease.

In Research and Practice- AT Still claimed that in 30 years of practice he only encountered one or two cases of asthma he didn’t “cure”- and those were cases suffering with tuberculosis as well. How is this possible? Was he lying? Let me walk you through the osteopathic approach.

DIAGNOSIS: Is there a history of physical or emotional trauma at the time of onset of the first asthma symptoms? If physical- what was the exact mechanism of injury?

Watch the patient- are they using secondary respiratory musculature? What parts of their rib cage aren’t moving? Is there thus a mechanical restriction from a particular rib (especially first rib) that could be decreasing PFR’s?

What is the condition of the jugular foramen and surrounding fascia where the vagus nerve leaves the skull? Could the patient have chronic vagal nerve irritation and thus tonic parasympathetic overstimulation of the lung tissue?

What is the condition of T1-T6? Are any of these facilitated, restricted in motion, type 2 dysfunction, or otherwise abnormal? You know that sympathetics to the lung exit here, and disturbance here secondary to trauma may impact resting sympathetic tone in the lungs.

Physical trauma- treat mechanical findings secondary to injury at time of asthma onset + any other obvious findings that my contribute to symptoms.
Emotional trauma/triggers- treat mechanical findings plus seek counseling for patient.
Postural strain- Patients with postural strain causing upper thoracic/OA dysfunction need the source of the postural concerns addressed as well as mechanical findings likely associated with symptoms.

You should also medicate these patients to relieve them of acute symptoms until the autonomic changes can fully take effect. They may be coughing out ropey tissue from the autonomic imbalance for several days or even weeks. Also- you might expect those with upper thoracic disturbance to respond well with albuterol, and those with more OA dysfunction to respond better with ipatropium.

These patients clearly need to be closely monitored and seen for follow-ups regularly to observe progress (and if no progress is seen you clearly haven’t found the cause- keep looking). This is an osteopathic approach to asthma.

Don’t take a word I say on faith- be critical. Please review the anatomy yourself, and shadow enough so you can see that osteopaths (at least those that practice this way) get “miracle cures” in their business as usual. It only seems like a miracle to those who don’t understand the functional anatomy behind it. It takes some mental work- every patient is a unique puzzle to figure out. But the patients get better.

Don’t just copy AT either. Use our modern medical understanding to compliment the old-timer’s philosophy. He didn’t know everything back then. Our science has grown in leaps and bounds, and to ignore our advances in our knowledge of pathophysiology or our tools for treatment is to seriously limit your ability to help patients.

You can apply this osteopathic philosophy to every patient you see for the entirety of your career- or you can turn your brain off and do whatever is the standard of care for patients with X or Y condition. This is your choice. Not all DO’s can be osteopaths, but I encourage any physician (MD or DO) that has the motivation to learn these tools to do so. It just so happens that we get hands-on time in DO schools, but this counts for little if you never really learn why you do it.

rpkall said:

I’m glad for your interest. Best of luck in your studies as well- but suspect from your professionalism and enthusiasm you will be a great physician regardless of luck.

To answer your question- you do not need to be certified. So far as I know- an MD or DO (for right or wrong) gives you full practice rights to do anything within your competency to perform. Remember that competency is a VERY subjective term. I suspect MD’s can get reimbursed for OMM and acupuncture just by taking weekend courses and having very little to no skill. If you have skill though, all the better. Regardless of whether you can code specifically for OMM though- you get paid well for being a physician, and any tool to make your patients better- you may want to consider (and it seems to be a huge draw for a practice).

Michael

P.S. I am not a physician yet- do not go by anything I have said to diagnose or treat diseases without physician supervision- at this point simply add them to your academic thought process.

bustbones26 said:

Neurology?
Orthopaedics?
Musculoskeletal testing?

I would add that the books cannot effectively teach you to diagnose with your hands somatic dysfunctions and that can be only learned through many hours of hands-on directed learning. I would argue that learning to diagnose is more important than learning the 'techniques'.

bustbones26 said:

I would say no DO student is an expert, but those who apply themselves can be quite good. Than again how many allopathic students could run a code or perform solo surgery. DOs lack reinforcement of OMT in our rotations and residency training. Most of us will become worse at it rather than better as we progress beyond second year. It is sad really.

bustbones26 said:

I would say its a lot more impressive than rocket science. It is a bit of a secret code in that the more you learn about it-you realize how little is understood about the human body. ;)

Just an interesting note about my intro-to-DOs, since a few posters on here go to DMU.

My family physician was an osteopath who graduated DMU way back in the 80's. She wound up practicing in an urban underserved community in NYC. She was one of the best providers I've personally ever had OR seen in practice (I shadowed her before my applications went out). The way she engendered trust and openness in all her relationships with patients really tipped me off about DOs, and made me realize what awesome training DO students really get (both in psychosocial applications of medicine and in an understanding of functional [and dysfunctional] anatomy).

So in any case, just a post to illustrate that it really is possible for one DO to make a difference just by being a good physician--raising awareness about a profession isn't always about "DO's on TV" and other organized, orchestrated events and political pushes. More often than not, it's a very personal thing. And it spreads, one person at a time.

So.

Kudos to DMU, anyway. ;)

Bones, thank you very much for that post detailing a practical application of osteopathic principles. I'm starting my DO education next fall and info like that makes me thrilled to become an Osteopath.

Taus said:
Bones, thank you very much for that post detailing a practical application of osteopathic principles. I'm starting my DO education next fall and info like that makes me thrilled to become an Osteopath.

Thats why i love it too- dont forget that feeling during the hard times.

At many schools (unfortunately) techniques are emphasized over the principles, the functional anatomy, and the philosophy- and this is frustrating for those who love osteopathy as well as those who dont know quite why they went to a DO school. Keep in mind Dr. Still didnt want OMT taught to students in class- he emphasized the philosophy, the physiology, and the functional anatomy and let the students pick up the rest in clinic. If you study the techniques carefully though- your manual and palpatory skills will become quite good- just dont forget the really important stuff.

In my experience osteopathy is best taught by preceptors who live this art in their practice- though reading AT Still's personal books help tremendously (that is, if you can pull out the philosophy and apply it to what we know in modern medicine).

congrats on your acceptance.
michael

Which book would you consider the "best" for this purpose? I saw that you mentioned Stills' "Philosophy and Mechanical Principles of Osteopathy", but wanted to see if you know of any others that better serve your purpose stated above. Thanks

Taus said:
Which book would you consider the "best" for this purpose? I saw that you mentioned Stills' "Philosophy and Mechanical Principles of Osteopathy", but wanted to see if you know of any others that better serve your purpose stated above. Thanks

Philosophy and Mechanical Principles is probably the best for this purpose- but it is out of print. It is also not copyrighted- so...

http://www.interlinea.org/index.php?name=atstill
Here is a link gives full text online of all 4 of his out of print books (including mechanical principles). I opted to buy it anyway so i had it for reference. You can still buy prints at several osteopathic museums such as ours at KCOM (http://www.kcom.edu/ -click on museum link).

Another good book by AT Still is
Osteopathy: Research and Practice
Not as much of his thought process, and more to-the-point tutorials for diseases.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-1688191-3785411?v=glance&s=books (cheaper than museum price).

Hope that helps

michael