Allright, lay it on me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rainy Guy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright, give it to me straight, all opinions accepted:

-Started w/ a pathetic undergrad gpa in English: 2.9
-Also have a grad gpa of 3.83 in Education (M.Ed degree, big whoop)
-Taught for 4 years, came back to school. 3 semesters of all science + math. This (post-bacc) gpa: 4.0, includes some retakes.
-This gives me, according to AMCAS,: overall undergrad: 3.1, overall science, 3.39. Will be higher for AACOMAS, b/c of retakes.
-Took the April mcat: 10,11,R,11
-The only major intersting thing about me is that I have spent much of my time (teaching, summer camps, etc) working with underpriveledged populations (inner-city, rural, etc)
-I am white, male, 28

I applied to 6 allopathic and 7 ostepathic schools. They were:
Allo:
Univ. of Washington (my only in-state med school--yikes!), U of Nevada, U of Hawaii, George Washington, Dartmouth, U of Vermont.
Osteo:
UHS, Kirksville, CCOM, UNE-COM, PCOM, AZCOM, and Ohio.

So, what do you think--where will I get interviews? Of those, where do I have the greatest chance?

Members don't see this ad.

RainyGuy......
I couldn't tell you where you might get in or not, but I can share a little info w/ ya. I'm a michigan resident who goes to MSU as an undergraduate and I know that MSUCOM really likes older students who have shown their desire for medicine over a long period of time. As a matter of fact, my old advisor, who was like 33 or something, quit his job last year because he was accepted into the DO program. The guy was a music major who had taken just his pre-recs and then applied to med school and was accepted. Although MSUCOM accepts pretty much only in-state residents, I am sure that there are schools out there that have similiar views regarding older students. (Not that you are that old).
Anyways, your MCATS are excellent but you're grade point is a quite lower than where it should be. In my opinion, though, I think that your non-traditional status will help off-set some of that, but not all of it.
Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by jimmybee (edited 07-17-2000).]

I think you have a great chance, particularly at osteopathic schools. The only problem I have with your story is that I feel given your gpa you did not apply to enough allopathic schools.

You should pick at least ten other schools you think you have a shot at and apply. And don't discount a school just because you think you have no hope. I got interviewed at schools I thought would never look at me -- also, I was rejected by some schools whose avg. entering gpa/mcats were way lower than mine. You have no way of knowing which school will like you or not, so just apply to as many as you can afford.

My hat off to you for doing so well as a post bacc. I too did the postbacc "thang" and got in. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with ana. Apply to more schools! Of the MD schools you've chosen, I'd say you have a good shot at U of Vermont, GWU and Dartmouth (at least for interviews). Your GPA's probably on the low side for UW, and I think Hawaii is pretty harsh on out of staters (OOS). You may have some WICHE help at U Nevada (apply to all your WICHE schools!). Eastern Virginia is a great school for non-trads & for out of staters (it's a great school, period). Case likes non-trads, but they like superstar non-trads. Medical College of Wisconsin takes a fair amount of OOS; Finch/Chicago Med, Temple, MCP Hahnemann, Albany, Univ. of Rochester, USC, Loma Linda, Tufts, BU & Eastern Carolina are some other "mid-tier," OOS-friendly MD schools worth applying to. Go for it! I'm 30 and I start in 6 weeks!

I'd have to agree that you applied to too few allopathic schools, but for all I know osteo is in your heart. I do want to wish you luck and encourage you to get those secondaries in by the end of this month. Good luck.

You're right, RAM#48-- I meant Medical University of South Carolina, which does take some out of staters. NYMC is another good mid-tier choice. Sheon is right: get on those secondaries!

hey, dude.

if you already APPLIED those schools, why do you bother to ask. none of us is working at med. school admission office.

it is just like you already got married, and you are asking everyone what my chances of having a baby?

you will just have to be patient with yourself, and wait and see.

I'm pretty much going to tell you the same thing as everyone else except for youngjock since his advice is useless in this situation [sorry about that youngjock but it had to be said].

You have an excellent MCAT score and will no doubt get an interview. Even though the GPA is low, you have a lot of life experience especially with a Masters in Education and a good showing with the post-bac program. On your secondaries, focus on the positive experiences in your life and talk about what you've done for education. And get those secondaries in ASAP.

And all will be well.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

actually, i think that most people posting questions like "what are my chances" are simply seeking some understanding.

no one here can tell those truth seekers what their chances are. those messages are merely useful at all other than making the truth seeker feeling better.

yea, i can tell you that you have great chances or no chance at all. but that won't change a thing, what have been done have already been done.

After reading many similar posts, anyone can pretty much figure out what the answers would be.

So for this dude, well, if you want to be more confident, apply as many schools as you can pick and afford, otherwise, you may have to wait another year.

Just like that example I gave in my previous question, if your wife didn't get pregnant this year, (if you did not get accepted at a med school this year), try it another year. Or don't give up, just keep trying. it is truly useless to ask others when you are already married, (already sent out your applicatoins).

actually, it's not useless to ask... because the original poster can *still* apply to additional schools by submitting a form to AMCAS. so he can sorta get an annulment from his hasty union and decided that he needs to marry a spouse with many more different qualities [more med school designations]... of course this means he's gonna have to pay alot more for the wedding, but in the end, it's probably worth it to find a suitable spouse who wants to be with him rather than to repeat wedding after wedding again!
smile.gif

sorry for the long metaphor... just trying to outdo youngjock. rainy guy--take it from somebody who applied to >30 allopathic schools... the med school process really is a crap shoot and it would benefit you to apply to as many schools as you can afford. trust me, rather spend the $$$ now than spend even more next year to reapply. and definitely fill out those secondaries as fast as you can! timing is of essence in this game. GOOD LUCK!

YJ, I know that I previously posted that I was going to act like the other 99% of the people who post here, but I simply can't miss the oportunity to point out how much of an idiot you are. You criticize others for grammatical errors and say there post are childish when your posts are nothing but incorect sentences after incorrect sentences.

yea, i can tell you that you have great chances or no chance at all. but that won't
change a thing, what have been done have already been done. WHAT???????
"what have been done have already been done"
what the hell is this? And your use of "dude" in all your posts is truly a professional use of language skills, you should be so proud...
Oh yeah, I do feel much better now....And I promise this will be my last post about you.

Youngjock,

Seriously, why don't you contribute to the medical world by subjecting your brain to imaging studies. It would be interesting to see what features you have or do not have. I expect your brain to be nice and smooth, like a cherry bouncing around in a beer can.

When away from this site, try using "Jumpstart" for preschoolers.

Your friend,

Bob

Members don't see this ad :)
qb1, it seems to me that you are a true stalker.

you have already posted one message about me, I ignored that one. now you came back, and try to insult me again.

who is ignoring who here? huh.

besides, this is a message board, not mcat writing essays, who cares if i have a few mistakes. everyone makes mistakes.

if you want to be contructive, tell me how you would correct my grammar problems.

Youngjock,

Try the "Jumpstart" program for preschoolers, or maybe watch Sesame Street.

I find YOUR comments stupid, idiotic and insulting. Why can't you take a dose of your own "medicine?"

Advice from your only friend,

Bob

Ok, treq and youngjock, "take it outside" because this arguing isn't going to help rainy day with this questions.

And as for you, youngjock (and for anyone else with his mindset), I have a comment for a quote of yours.

<<no one here can tell those truth seekers what their chances are. those messages are merely useful at all other than making the truth seeker feeling better.>>

There is nothing wrong with a little encouragment from a community that is suppose to benefit the truth seeker.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

I've been trying to post a reply since last night, but my ISP keeps going out! I think they should change their name to "grrr.net", because that's the sound I always seem to be making when I use them.

Anyway--thank you for all of your advice. I considered applying to almost all of the schools mentioned above, but I agonized over two things: 1) I was worried about my mcat scores, and 2) I'm not sure I want to live for 4 years in a major east-coast city (Chi, Philly, NY, Boston). I broke down and applied to one (GW) b/c my parents live nearby, and I think DC is a pretty cool city.

I'll think hard about sending in the additional schools form to AMCAS. Meantime, I've gotten two secondaries on the way (GW, Dartmouth), and a 3rd one is going out on Monday (Hawaii--that was just kind of a hopeful long shot
smile.gif
)

And your advice was NOT wasted! I appreciate it!

Oh, by the way...I just got a letter from U of Illinois that was trying to recruit me for their MD/Phd program based on my mcat scores. That really surprised me! They must not have seen the rest of my application (and the scores aren't really all *that* great!)

What do you think? Should I add that one too? I found the whole thing very flattering.
smile.gif

I find rainyguy's attitude revolting.
Why does he feel a 32 on the MCAT is not
high enough? What are you trying to say to
the other people who haven't gotten higher
than 30? Don't make posts asking questions
and then brag about your scores. It is
petty actually, and condescending.

I didn't mean to sound arrogant, although upon a second reading, I can see how the above post sort of sounds that way.

All I meant that was that although a 32 is good, it generally isn't considered MD/Phd material.

And by the "flattering" part, I just meant that I was not expecting to get recruitment letters from med schools when I wasn't sure if I could get in in the first place.

And "beyonder", I suggest you stiffen your upper lip a bit. If you become a physician, you will see things much more "revolting" than a poorly phrased post.

I thought you only applied to the schools you listed above. I too would be surprised to receive a recruitment letter from a school that I did not apply to.

Plenty of compassionate and caring individuals in here, no doubt.

sheesh.

-raindodger

Oh, come on guys. Every good movie has its comic relief character...we have youngjock. His patheticness is almost endearing. And it's always the character you least expect who comes up with the killer line that makes the movie make sense. We can all keep hoping youngjock finds his soon. In the mean time, try to remember that he could be the guy next to you in class or on the floor.

Oh, and while, as usual, his comparisons are lacking, I would agree with yj that "do I have a chance" post translate into "make me feel better". Rub your Buddah, roll the dice and, yes, we will give you empathy by telling you about our sister's friend's uncle twice removed who has stats. like yours and got in, but no one here that I know of has ESP.

And Flipper, if I remember correctly youngjock wasn't the poster of that thread. In fact he got blasted in that post for being as offended at the childishness as you. Pretty ironic, huh?

mj

mj:

I stand (sit) completely ashamed at the dumbsh*t that I am with both feet (hands) in my mouth.

Youngjock, I offer up my sincerest apology for my unwarranted attack against your posts on this thread.

With this stated, I will now remove the afore mentioned attack.

Rainyguy,
I have a stiff upper lip. I remain true
to myself and call situations as I interpret
them. I suggest you accept constructive
criticism and allow others their own
assertiveness.
I agree with no one. The only exception
being the truth.

------------------
tb

RainyGuy- You do have a legitimate question. I enjoyed myself a little too much in college, and posted a 3.2 with a strong smattering of C's, D's and F's in my transcript. Despite a mid 30's MCAT, guess what? I didn't get accepted to medical school when I applied the first time. So now, I'm trying again, with a few years working, plus a 3.75 in a Master's program. The basic question you and I share is "How long does it take AdComs to 'forgive' previous transgressions?" Hopefully, they will realized that you and I have grown up and matured, but there is the distinct chance that they never will overlook our undegraduate mistakes. I wish you (and me) the best of luck!

PS - I don't know why TheBeyonder is in such a huff. Your posts aren't arrogant, they're just facts. TB, the only person who many any mention of people with sub-30 scores was YOU. Nobody is claiming that higher or lower MCAT scores have anything to do with what kind of doctor a person will be, but yes, they are one strongly considered part of your application. If your grades are poor, your scores need to be better. If your scores are poor, your grades need to be better. If both are poor, you need some additional strengths in you application to stand a chance. THAT is the "truth" that you claim to be looking for!

It appears to me that everytime YJ makes a stupid comment, MJ seems to always back him up. Could MJ perhaps be YJ? If not, why does mj always back him up to some degree?

[This message has been edited by Pikevillemedstudent (edited 08-16-2000).]

RainyGuy:

Re the U-Illinois MD-PhD thing: not to rain on your parade (ha, ha), but it feels like just about everyone I know (including myself) got that recruiting mail. The program there is not what people usually think of as a standard MD-PhD program. You can do your PhD in any field you choose (doesn't have to be a science at all), and there's no financial support attached. I don't imagine it's aimed at the same target group as the better-known, MSTP-funded MD-PhD programs. I think it's a very new program and they're trying to let people know about it. Of course you should apply if you're interested - but find out a little about the program first.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by Pikevillemedstudent:
It appears to me that everytime YJ makes a stupid comment, MJ seems to always back him up. Could MJ perhaps be YJ? If not, why does mj always back him up to some degree?

Couldn't just be that I don't enjoy watching the runt of the litter get pecked to death by a bunch of bullies. I must have multiple personalities, right.

I don't always agree with yj. I think his opinion on abortion is ill conceived and I think he is short sighted for not re-taking the MCAT knowing how the system works.

However, I got sick of seeing the easy target get picked on all the time. I posted many viable arguments in the "big conspiracy" thread on why we should abolish admission standards for med school. I only received responses from three posters and only one of those posters made a decent counter argument. Everybody else was too busy insulting yj. Despite his delivery yj often makes points that at least have some merit. When presented in a more acceptable form, surprisingly they tend to hold up. For a long time he took A LOT of abuse on this board without ever throwing any back. Regardless of any other opinion I have of him I respect him for that.

I simply don't agree in dismissing someone continually because of their appearance or their delivery. I don't think that's a quality of a good future physician. Nor is throwing insults when you don't like what someone says. If a patient presents to you in a fashion you don't particularly like are you going to not listen to them because of it? No. That's the guy you?re working the hardest to understand. Granted yj isn't a patient, but it doesn't mean he is any less deserving of that respect. The forum you are in doesn?t get you off the hook for having personal integrity.

As for me being yj, well that's pretty funny. I don't have that much time on my hands and I think if I WAS going to come up with a side character I would be more creative than inventing yj. I would be a disgruntled fourth year or an obnoxious DO bashing MD student, heck even yourworstwhoever is more interesting than yj.

Alas, no, you will all have to deal with the cold reality that somewhere in the world there really is a YJ, applying for med school, potentially sitting next to you in class next year. Sorry guys.

mj

[This message has been edited by mj (edited 08-17-2000).]

Whew...I thought this post was long since dead. Little did I know! Most of these "what are my chances" posts last less than 5 replies.

Thank you to Dave for the encouraging words. I also wish you luck in this year's process.

I wrestled hard with the idea of applying to more schools, but I just couldn't do it. The reason for this was the location of most mid-tier schools--in large, East-Coast inner city areas. My wife and daughter (and another on the way!) have never lived on the East coast or in a large city (other than Seattle, for a little while), so four years spent in one of these places would be too much stress on all of us.

Thank you, though, to those who posted advice. I do appreciate it.

And as for yj and mj being the same person, it is an intriguing idea, but I don't think it's so. mj's grammar is much better. I do believe, however, that some people on this board have at least two personalities (and screen names to go with them)!

Originally posted by Rainy Guy:
I do believe, however, that some people on this board have at least two personalities (and screen names to go with them)!

well I think we should start a betting pool. Post you contestants -- who do you think's gone Cybil?

And Rainy Guy, I noticed you applied to some mid west osteo schools, have you considered some of the mid west allo schools that aren't in bigger cities but might like your stats? Maybe Creighton, SLU, Wis Med, U of Mich, U of IO, Ohio State, Mich State, U of Wis, U of KS. Some of them are more friendly to out of staters than others. The stats. I have show they all accept at least 10% from out of state, most were above 20%. Good luck.

mj