Almost December and haven't heard back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmpathMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's near the end of November and I haven't heard back from around 20 schools still, but 5 interviews so far from other places... Does this mean low chances of getting interviews from the ones who still haven't responded? :(

Members don't see this ad.

1. 5 IIs = good spot.
2. Interview season's not over
3. Eat Turkey

Reactions: 1 users
1. 5 IIs = good spot.
3. Eat Turkey

Agreed.

5 IIs means you application is kicking ass. While interviews are dwindling at this point, there are still chances you will be reviewed for more. Some schools interview into April. Try not to worry too much, this is a point in the cycle where you have done your job, now just put it in the back of your mind and hope for a wonderful surprise to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. 5 IIs = good spot.
3. Eat Turkey

Best SDN post in a while.

OP, I'm in a similar boat as you are. I am still waiting to hear from > 15 schools one way or the other. Burla is spot on, but if you really want to assess your chances there is always the school-specific threads. Using this year's and last year's threads you can get a sense of which schools reject quickly and which do silent rejections. If a school you're still waiting to hear from is known to reject quickly and you see that others are being rejected who were complete around the same time you were, its reasonable that you still have a chance to get an II. If the school does silent rejections or doesn't start really rejecting people till the spring, and you can see that people who were complete long after you are getting interviews, you know your chances for an interview are probably pretty small.

Hope this helps, but the best advice is to go for a run/workout/burn off stress some how and hang out with your family!

I have 2 IIs coming up and I haven't heard back from 30+ schools still!!! lol I think you're in a much better position than me and many others. Enjoy the holidays and just relax. I'm sure you'll get into a school even if you don't get anymore IIs.

At this point if you have been complete for a few months and haven't heard anything you shot at getting an interview is low. But you have 5 II's so just roll with it.

In a relatively similar position (4 interviews) but still waiting from 15 schools! From the 4 schools, I have heard nothing!!!!

I don't think we're going to be able to tell you anything you don't already know. We've all played that waiting game, and we all know it sucks. :(

Wish I could help ya, man.

At this point if you have been complete for a few months and haven't heard anything you shot at getting an interview is low. But you have 5 II's so just roll with it.
Are you saying the shot for any interview invite for the rest of the cycle is low? If thats the case might as well give up now as I haven't heard from any schools.

Are you saying the shot for any interview invite for the rest of the cycle is low? If thats the case might as well give up now as I haven't heard from any schools.

Chances are decreasing by the day, yes, but I wouldn't give up hope. I've spoken with a lot of docs who said they interviewed in January or February. You only need one!

Chances are decreasing by the day, yes, but I wouldn't give up hope. I've spoken with a lot of docs who said they interviewed in January or February. You only need one!
I won't and rik if you don't mind me asking, if you don't have a clear idea I understand, but would you say most schools have filled up the majority of their interview dates? Also don't alot of people who get accepted end up withdrawing so wouldn't there be some late II's?

I won't and rik if you don't mind me asking, if you don't have a clear idea I understand, but would you say most schools have filled up the majority of their interview dates? Also don't alot of people who get accepted end up withdrawing so wouldn't there be some late II's?

As I understand it, it doesn't work quite that way. I believe that schools only fill up interview days a certain length of time away. So there's probably no spots in the next 2 weeks at most places, but the slots for February are totally open. Unfortunately, more and more applications are coming in, decreasing your chances.

Some schools "small pool," which means making a smaller group of what they think are better potential interviewees. There is no guarantee you'll be drawn from this pool, but you won't be interviewed unless you make it there. As the year goes on, the total applicant pool gets bigger, so your chance of being small-pooled is decreased just by sheer numbers. Also, spending a lot of time in the small pool probably isn't a great sign, either.

In the end, though, nobody really knows. There's so much variability in different schools' processes. I wish you and the OP the best of luck! Everyone on this board knows how much the application process sucks monkey genitalia. We're all pulling for you! :)

As I understand it, it doesn't work quite that way. I believe that schools only fill up interview days a certain length of time away. So there's probably no spots in the next 2 weeks at most places, but the slots for February are totally open. Unfortunately, more and more applications are coming in, decreasing your chances.

Some schools "small pool," which means making a smaller group of what they think are better potential interviewees. There is no guarantee you'll be drawn from this pool, but you won't be interviewed unless you make it there. As the year goes on, the total applicant pool gets bigger, so your chance of being small-pooled is decreased just by sheer numbers. Also, spending a lot of time in the small pool probably isn't a great sign, either.

In the end, though, nobody really knows. There's so much variability in different schools' processes. I wish you and the OP the best of luck! Everyone on this board knows how much the application process sucks monkey genitalia. We're all pulling for you! :)
Thanks alot for your input! I would just feel so much better if I at least got one invitation for interview, it would at least send a message that one school recognizes the many years of work and $$ I have put in preparing for medical school. Maybe ill get a surprise before thanksgiving that way I have something to be thankful for.:arghh:

Reactions: 1 user
I was also complete at all my schools early, in August. Most of my interviews were before much, but I have had a couple trickle in, even have one in January. My guess is if you do get interviews they wont be as many as you had before but there is always hope :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the words and support everyone, I appreciate it! For everyone else in the same position, best we can do is just stay strong and keep hope alive. May the odds be ever in our favor! (just watched Catching Fire :p)