Almost going to give UP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamondbot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated 2 years ago with a gpa of 2.56 c. During that summer after graduation I volunteered at a health clinic translating for Hispanic patients. Doing that motivated me to go back to school and raise my gpa. I went to a university in a different state and I retook general chem and general bio and general physiology. I now have a 2.83 c gpa. I don't know if I should apply to a Masters Program such as Exercise science or go to my state university and do more undergrad science courses. I am studying for the MCAT this summer. I was thinking of applying to DO schools this year, given that I get a rockin' MCAT. Any suggestions or advice is greatly needed and appreciated!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best choice would be a SMP. Try to get your gpa up to a 3.0 and 30+ on the mcat. Then apply to SMP's.

Is the updated cGPA using the AACOMAS grade repalcement policy? Or did you include both earned grades for each retake? Why not continue to retake classes you did poorly in to raise your cGPA/sGPA further?

While the AACOMAS application does merge undergrad and grad GPAs, a number of DO schools judge you by the undergrad component only, similiar to the way that AMCAS schools do. So unless you know exactly which DO schools have what policy, getting into a graduate program isn't necessarily a good idea.

Some DO schools will consider cGPAs as low as a 2.5 provided you have an upward grade trend (and you do) and a strong MCAT score (yet to be determined).

If the MCAT goes well, do you have all your LORs and ECs lined up and ready to go, including a DO LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated 2 years ago with a gpa of 2.56 c. During that summer after graduation I volunteered at a health clinic translating for Hispanic patients. Doing that motivated me to go back to school and raise my gpa. I went to a university in a different state and I retook general chem and general bio and general physiology. I now have a 2.83 c gpa. I don't know if I should apply to a Masters Program such as Exercise science or go to my state university and do more undergrad science courses. I am studying for the MCAT this summer. I was thinking of applying to DO schools this year, given that I get a rockin' MCAT. Any suggestions or advice is greatly needed and appreciated!! Thanks.

First of all, Don't give up!!! If you want this then you have to get dedicated to the many years it may take to strengthen your application. Personally, judging by only what you have said, I would recommend not applying this cycle. You need to gain some more experiences (if that was the only health related experience you have had), increase your GPA and maybe find some research to make you stand out as a good applicant. Take the MCAT this summer, and kick ass on it, then start gathering all of the things you need to apply next summer. I have jumped the gun on applying twice before, just to get my application in so that I would have a chance. It was a waste of money, time and energy. This time I really prepared myself well in advance to start this process on a good note. I think you should do the same. Good luck!

What are your separate GPAs for both MD and DO? If your DO GPA is over 3.0 and you get a 30+ on the MCAT, I can see you possibly being able to get into DO schools this year, depending on ECs. MD is going to require a lot more work. If you can get your MD GPA over 3.0, an SMP would be the way to go, along with an excellent MCAT. MD would be a long, hard trail.

Yes, I calculated my gpa by substituting my second grades for the first grade received. It turned out to be 2.88c and 2.65 s. I thought about applying for a masters in medical science program.This program is supposed to be for people wanting to get into professional school. If I do apply I am going to have to hit the GRE hard and not spend as much time on the MCAT. I have had more health care experience volunteering for free medical clinics (mostly translating) and doing data entry at a clinic. In high school I volunteered at a hospital for 97 hours, would that count? I also have an MD who offered to write a letter. Can I use that for DO school too? Thanks for the input.
Noshie- is this your third time applying?

Yes, I calculated my gpa by substituting my second grades for the first grade received. It turned out to be 2.88c and 2.65 s. I thought about applying for a masters in medical science program.This program is supposed to be for people wanting to get into professional school. If I do apply I am going to have to hit the GRE hard and not spend as much time on the MCAT. I have had more health care experience volunteering for free medical clinics (mostly translating) and doing data entry at a clinic. In high school I volunteered at a hospital for 97 hours, would that count? I also have an MD who offered to write a letter. Can I use that for DO school too? Thanks for the input.
Noshie- is this your third time applying?

First, from what I know, most masters of med sci programs don't require a GRE, they will take an MCAT instead. Which one are you thinking of applying to?

Any volunteering you have ever done counts, but you want to show that you are still involved too. MD letters are fine for DO school, however, you should probably get a DO letter as well. Have you shadowed a DO? This is really a must.

Yes, this is my third time applying... But to be honest, I really wish I had just waited and not applied the last two times. I wasn't ready, it's so much better going in with everything already completed (like MCAT, letters of rec, personal statement, out of school). Applying takes so long that just wanting to hit the window of opportunity in time is preferred by many people, instead of the better route of waiting to fix the gaps in your application. Taking a year or two off to do this really helped me. I gained some really great experiences that reflect my dedication in many ways. Sure, I'm going to be around 29 when I go to med school, but how many people get to say they have done some of the things I have... Plus I will never wonder about all of the experience I would have missed by getting into med school at 23. Becoming a physician is a marathon, not a sprint. Either way, I'm going to be a good doctor, whether I'm in my 20's or 30's, I will still be doing what I love. Point is, if you have to slow down to appreciate everything you have and strengthen yourself for this hard journey, then do it or you may regret it later when you don't get in and have to settle for a profession that you won't enjoy as much.

Last edited:
I was going to apply to a Med Sci program at Mississippi College. I don't have an MCAT score yet so I thought of taking the GRE and trying to get in with that score. They also accept an MCAT score of at least 20. I haven't shadowed a DO, I plan to do it next month. If I don't get in to the Med Sci program, any suggestions on what to do next? I think that applying next cycle might be my best option too. I am aiming to take the MCAT in late July or early August. How would the AAMCAS and the ACOMAS view my with a low undergrad gpa and a high grad gpa? Thanks for the comments and suggestions!!!

Thanks Catalystik for the links!!! They are very helpful.

From personal experience I have found that after studying for the MCAT the GRE is a complete breeze (actually somewhat enjoyable). I also think that doing a Masters program will greatly increase your chances of getting accepted.

I was going to apply to a Med Sci program at Mississippi College. I don't have an MCAT score yet so I thought of taking the GRE and trying to get in with that score. They also accept an MCAT score of at least 20. I haven't shadowed a DO, I plan to do it next month. If I don't get in to the Med Sci program, any suggestions on what to do next? I think that applying next cycle might be my best option too. I am aiming to take the MCAT in late July or early August. How would the AAMCAS and the ACOMAS view my with a low undergrad gpa and a high grad gpa? Thanks for the comments and suggestions!!!

I looked up this program, and you are correct, they will take a GRE instead of the MCAT. However, do you know how competitive this program is? I would bet that most applicants will have MCAT scores, do you think that not having one may put you at a disadvantage? I think that this will likely hold you back from getting into a program like this if there are more applicants than seats, which is very likely.

I applied for a med sci program at TCOM. Because of the highly competitive nature of this program I decided to apply for a 2 year masters at the same school as my back up. I did not get into the medical science program, but I did get into the traditional masters program. I am very happy that I did the 2 year masters instead. It gave me extensive research experience, allowed me to become involved with the school as a class officer, and I was able to socialize with many of the TCOM faculty and staff. I really think that getting the 1 year masters is worthless, except they let in a certain percentage of these students to their med school. But not everyone gets in because it's a very difficult program. I took all of my classes with the med sci students, and half of the class struggled. Many of them didn't even make it past the second semester, and probably a third did not get accepted to med school anywhere. So what would I have done after getting a worthless masters degree and not getting into med school?

My advice is to apply to the 1 year masters program if you really have your heart set on it, but definitely apply to a 2 year program also (do this program at a well established health science center, preferably one with a med school on campus). If you don't have research and leadership yet, a real science based masters can give you something unique. Pretty much all of the adcoms at TCOM were PhDs and were active in research. The PhDs are the ones that basically do all of the interviews and acceptances. You can appeal to them with your research based experience.

As for how you will be viewed with a low undergrad and a high grad GPA, it all depends on what you get that high grad GPA in. I mean if you do a really hard program then it will be viewed as beneficial. But if you go in and take some non science based program (like MBA or something) it may not be weighed as high because grad GPAs are inflated in most programs. I have a less than 3.0 undergrad GPA, but with my high grad GPA most professors and physicians have told me that I will most likely get in because I have proved that I can be academically successful. You may need to get enough unique experiences to make yourself stand out as more than just your GPA. You need some hardcore clinical experience. And please, get that shadowing in!!!

Last edited:
What do you think about Masters in Public Health? I spoke with someone at Charles Drew University today and they said that if accepted, I could also do some research. There is also a medical school there, I believe. Would a MPH be a good program that will lead me to med school? It sounds like a good bet to me right now. It's a two year program and if am able to do two years of research that would strengthen my app.Thank you for all your advice!
Noshie: Are you only applying to DO schools? Thanks man for your advice and your powerful insight!!

What do you think about Masters in Public Health? I spoke with someone at Charles Drew University today and they said that if accepted, I could also do some research. There is also a medical school there, I believe. Would a MPH be a good program that will lead me to med school? It sounds like a good bet to me right now. It's a two year program and if am able to do two years of research that would strengthen my app. Thank you for all your advice!

Noshie: Are you only applying to DO schools? Thanks man for your advice and your powerful insight!!

I am applying to both MD and DO schools this time around. In the past I have only applied to DO schools, but I figure I should give it all I have this cycle. Plus my research may appeal more to MD schools...

My opinion on public health is very harsh. I will first explain why and then I will give you advice... My graduate school had a public health degree, and I know A LOT of people that went this route in order to get into med school. Sure, they do research, and usually even write what they call a "thesis" (but what I would call a lengthy, albeit in-depth book report)... Most of them have already applied once or twice, but none of them have been accepted yet. I think the reason for this is because the research is just not strong enough to appeal to the adcoms. The degree is not really even science based. One of my friends once told me he didn’t take a single science course during the two years he did his MPh. At best it will be a somewhat unique EC. The GPA will not really rectify your undergrad GPA because you will not be taking science courses. The whole point of getting a masters for you is to get into med school, so you need to get into a program where you can prove that you can do well in tough classes.

I’m sure my advice is clear by now… I hear people say time and time again that getting a masters will not get you into med school. I absolutely believe this. However, it all depends on what you make of your time in a master’s program. Getting a MPh will likely not get you the things that you need to get into med school. I’m sure that some people with this degree have gotten in, but they may not have had such a low undergrad GPA like we do. First and foremost you need to prove that you can do well in a very difficult science program/classes (either in a post bac or with a hard science masters), then you need to get basic science research, and lastly you need to beef up your EC’s… I truly think that doing these things will give you a shot. Overcoming a low GPA like this is not going to be easy… In fact, I think that you will not even be ready to apply next summer. You have to realize that you need to prove yourself to the adcoms more so than anyone else applying. It takes a ton of dedication and hard work. Just showing a year of dedication and solid work will not be enough…

Lastly... I'm a girl! WTH... Everyone calls me dude and man on here. Seriously changing my picture today... Do you think that you would get such great lengthy advice from a guy. Really? Well, maybe from Catalystik... ;)

Noshie! Sorry about judging you as a dude. Thanks for the lengthy advice. Your so helpful and fully of great advice!! I have been out of town, but now I'm back. What do you guys think of Caribbean Medical Schools such as: Ross or St. Georges? Would you go to one over a DO school? I was looking into them for next year.

Do you think that you would get such great lengthy advice from a guy. Really? Well, maybe from Catalystik... ;)
Made me LOL, noshie, as I'm an XX also.

IMO, DO>>>>Caribbean. High chance of graduating and matching into a US residency vs high attrition rate and much lower chance of matching into a US residency in the Caribbean. If the latter is the case, how would you plan to pay off your educational loans?

You can get detailed perspectives on Caribbean schools in the International medicine Forum

Made me LOL, noshie, as I'm an XX also.

IMO, DO>>>>Caribbean. High chance of graduating and matching into a US residency vs high attrition rate and much lower chance of matching into a US residency in the Caribbean. If the latter is the case, how would you plan to pay off your educational loans?

You can get detailed perspectives on Caribbean schools in the International medicine Forum

Haha, that explains it all then!!! I actually figured that with your cat pic...

100% agree with the DO being better than Caribbean for all of the reasons listed by Catalystik. Staying in the states is always the best bet.

Thanks for the advice and information ladies (Noshie and Catalystik). I have been applying to masters programs. I only need my GRE score to make my apps complete. I have a friend who is going to Ross this year and she was trying to convince me to apply for the January cycle. I talked with an admissions adviser at Oklahoma State and she told me to raise my undergrad gpa to at least 3.0 before going into a masters program. Did anybody go straight to a Masters Program or did you raise you undergrad gpa first?

I'm under the impression that many of those programs have a GPA cut off of 3.0, so more of them would be available to you with a higher GPA, but there are some that take lower GPAs. You have to figure out which ones there are. I think you'll find more folks who can give some some perspectives on this in the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum. There's a list of all the different available programs there too.

Thanks for the advice and information ladies (Noshie and Catalystik). I have been applying to masters programs. I only need my GRE score to make my apps complete. I have a friend who is going to Ross this year and she was trying to convince me to apply for the January cycle. I talked with an admissions adviser at Oklahoma State and she told me to raise my undergrad gpa to at least 3.0 before going into a masters program. Did anybody go straight to a Masters Program or did you raise you undergrad gpa first?

Well, I had a 2.9ish GPA when I applied to my Masters program and I got in... With a 3.0 usually you have a way better chance of getting in. One of my LORs for grad school was from a professor at my undergrad university that had worked at my graduate school prior to coming there. So that may have been what got me in. There’s no harm in applying, it’s cheap, and if you don’t get in then you can do postbac and bring up your GPA.