Almost graduate planning to apply to a pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsal714

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to graduate this upcoming year and I'm looking into applying for Pharmacy school. I meet the requirements but I know that's not enough to get in. I mostly get B's and A's with 2 C's throughout my time at university. I'm not the most confident person so I'm holding back from even applying in the first place since I feel like I wouldn't get in. I'd like to hear from current pharmacy students regarding what I should know/consider before going into the program? How's pharmacy school so far compared to university? I'd assume it is much more difficult but I'd like to hear similarities and differences and what you enjoy/don't enjoy. If there was an advice/suggestion you wish you were told before going into pharmacy school what would it be? Were you involved in any extracurricular activities you believe have helped you to get in pharmacy school?

Also, if anyone could clarify this that would be great. I noticed that UBC does not require a student to take PCAT. I'm a bit confused because I thought all applicants must take this to apply? I'm guessing some universities require PCAT while others don't?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Not all schools require a PCAT, but I would recommend taking the PCAT anyway so that you have more options.

People are a bit down on pharmacy job prospects at the moment. There are a lot of schools on the east coast and in the Midwest so it’s easier to get into those schools and there are a lot of new graduates coming from those schools. It’s also harder to find a job as a pharmacist. Especially if you live on the east coast, you may have to move to find work after graduation.

You’ll have to hunt for a job at graduation (or prior to graduation). I’m told that is a change from 10 years ago. Despite this, my personal experience is graduating from pharmacy school and stepping straight into a clinical position that was desperately looking for a pharmacist. I did have a job hunt, but I either got really lucky or there is still a huge need for pharmacists in some areas (or both).

If your interest is mostly based on easy job prospects, it’s not a great time to enter the profession; however, if you like pharmacy and don’t mind retail (since most jobs are in retail) I highly recommend pharmacy.

Just a quick case for retail since a lot of people bash it:
Part of the reason I wanted to be a pharmacist was because pharmacists are so accessible to the public. Pharmacists are what I think of when I think of front line healthcare workers. Retail pharmacy is a lot of what drives that. If you like interacting with people more than computer screens, ambulatory care (including retail pharmacy) is probably for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Feel like some people went to pharmacy school for the wrong reason (money) and is salty their below average application isn't getting the job they want.

Working as a pharmacy tech before pharmacy school really feels like a big advantage for me right now compared to some of my peers with no experience.
I work in the admission committee and what we look for in extracurricular is pharmacy experience, research experience, and leadership experience. You don't need all 3 but you need at least 1.

Most people probably spend about 20 hours a week studying which isn't too hard.

Make sure you are ok with working retail. There just isn't enough spots at hospitals.

Reactions: 1 user
Feel like some people went to pharmacy school for the wrong reason (money) and is salty their below average application isn't getting the job they want.

Working as a pharmacy tech before pharmacy school really feels like a big advantage for me right now compared to some of my peers with no experience.
I work in the admission committee and what we look for in extracurricular is pharmacy experience, research experience, and leadership experience. You don't need all 3 but you need at least 1.

Most people probably spend about 20 hours a week studying which isn't too hard.

Make sure you are ok with working retail. There just isn't enough spots at hospitals.
Thanks for the feedback. Only 20 hours a week studying? I feel like it should be more than that but everyone's different so it may work out for some people.