Almost non-trad? sGPA: 3.7, cGPA: 2.5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raf1ki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any other students in my situation. Texas schools Canadian grade policy information most welcome! :dead:

When I apply, I will be 24, have a cGPA and sGPA both in the ballpark of a 3.7 at my current Texas institution, BUT! I went to Canada for the first two years of my undergrad, and accumulated a 1.08 over 60 credits. Most of these are F's, and it is apparent that I did not even try. I can't see this reflecting negatively on my academic abilities as much as my motivation, and I think that spending 4 years productively and competitively from there could help mitigate my circumstances. To my credit, only one of these Canadian F's could be considered a science course (Calculus, an F), and TMDSAS does not weigh Canadian GPA automatically - it's up to the individual Texas medical schools to do so. Flunking out of school in Canada was a life-changing experience. I was aimless and unmotivated because I was an English major with no desire to teach or struggle for a mediocre job. I became acutely aware of my mental health, the mental health of society in general, and realized that I wanted to become a medical doctor, a "first responder" to those with mental health issues. Psychiatry is most interesting, but GP's or ER doctors are also in unique positions to recognize mental health issues. I am not interested in clinical psychology.

I came back to Texas, changed majors, and started making good grades. I have a strong upward trend. I have strong research involvement. I volunteered in a Criminal Health and Mental Justice psychology lab for a year, and then volunteered/recieved scholarship to work in a neuroscience lab, which I have done for a year, and have poster presentations out of. I am working on getting more clinical involvement and shadowing in the year I have left before I apply. I recently completed an EMT course, and just need to pass the national registry exam to start working as an EMT on a weekly basis.

What are my chances with those first two years hanging over my head? Are there any Texas schools that might be willing to look past them? I will have a full degree's worth of credits at my current institution. My science GPA will be very high compared to my cumulative, if they decide to include my Canadian GPA. I am now a Biology major, so my sGPA will have a large number of credits backing it up. I will have strong letters of recommendation, and I have fully moved on from my past. I can write thoughtfully about what I have learned and about the values I have thanks to it.

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, kudos to you for turning your life around! You've clearly done some great work since coming back to TX. I honestly can't comment on how schools will view your situation since I am not an adcom, but I can guess:
Worst case scenario they average your Canadian credits and GPA into your current GPA. How much does that bring you cGPA down?
Even if schools do this, you have a strong case for reinvention. Your grades have been great since switching institutions, you've found causes you're passionate about and pursued them, and you've begun the steps to get real patient contact. Usually the concern with low GPAs is an inability to succeed in medical school, but I think it's unlikely a school will look at your application and think that. It will be very important for you to do well on the MCAT, to show that your current success can also translate to a national exam. If you can get a good MCAT score and keep up the good work you've been doing, I think you will receive a lot of IIs during your application cycle. Good luck!! :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I overstated how many Canadian hours I have, but it's still quite a lot. 48 credits x 1.08 cumulative GPA. My cGPA with my old transcripts included will be under 3.0. When I apply, my cGPA will probably be right at a 3.0.

Texas cGPA will be around a 3.7 x 130.
Texas sGPA around a 3.7 x 80.
Factoring the one F I made in Calculus in Canada would only bring my sGPA down to a 3.6.

Like you've said, I think I have a strong case for reinvention! I have never heard of anyone else in my position, but if adcoms are looking as holistically at candidates as they claim, the only thing I have to be afraid of is automatic GPA cutoffs, so I'm hoping that I can get human eyes on my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it that the schools dont factor your canadian GPA? I thought they all had to be reported.

All of my transcripts have to be forwarded, but I believe TMDSAS says not to include my Canadian coursework in the credit hour breakdown. It's been a while since I've checked and I'm on mobile right now. I know that they are definitely not included the the GPA calculation that TMDSAS forwards out to schools. They ask each school to calculate that for themselves. Lucky me. I hope it means I can slip past automatic cutoffs. If I do, I feel confident about my application. I'm wondering if letters of interest or letters of intent might boost my chances there too.

I'm bumping this thread in anticipating of applying to all TMDSAS medical schools in a month. I'm taking the MCAT in June and crossing my fingers for a 515. I'll have 250 hours as a mental health technician and 50 hours shadowing, plus 100 hours of patient contact in the ER and ambulance from EMT training.

My GPA is a 3.6 :mad:

To add on to what I said about TMDSAS not reporting Canadian GPA, I got them to confirm it by email - it's against Texas law. But I still have to report all of the classes/grades/send official transcript, and it is not prohibited for the individual schools to assess my GPA however they please.

Any words of encouragement please?+pity+Should I apply anywhere outside of Texas? I understand it is very hard for Texas students to get OOS interviews, so I wasn't planning on it. Also taking feedback on my personal statement. Thanks!