Almost ten years ago I spoke of the biggest problem facing us psychiatrists.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting. THe Florida ACN(area critical need is an option. I have a similar history myself....
Interesting. What is your story? Do you have the ACN license? I know someone who had the ACN license and now has an unrestricted license in FL without doing an ACGME residency... I am not sure how he was able to get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've a serious question. Can I do online nursing school and PHMNP course all online on my weeks off as hospitalist? That way in 4 years I can be dual boarded in IM and Psych (nursing board). Outpatient psych private practice is making lot of $$$ these days. If I choose psych residency it's the same BS with getting LORs, match process, working long hrs for 50k, conference, research, presentation and ****. I will still be a doctor and can still be called a psychiatrist. I wish I can be shameless enough to do this to make mockery of this system.

Another advantage of PMHNP pathway for MD is the lifespan crap where I can treat mental health problems from birth to death without any BS child psych or geri psych fellowships.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Just open a cash practice and say you are IM focused on Psych.

But if you want money, a cash only DPC practice in primary care is far superior to Psychiatry for earning potential.

And if you are IM who is willing to handle/tolerate Psych, you are meant for primary care, and could have the resiliency for DPC, too.

*DPC = Direct Primary Care other monikers are retainer practice, cash practice, micro practice, etc

Whatever you do won't come quick, nor easy and will require notable time investment and energy to get there. So choose wisely, [insert indiana jones clip here]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've a serious question. Can I do online nursing school and PHMNP course all online on my weeks off as hospitalist? That way in 4 years I can be dual boarded in IM and Psych (nursing board). Outpatient psych private practice is making lot of $$$ these days. If I choose psych residency it's the same BS with getting LORs, match process, working long hrs for 50k, conference, research, presentation and ****. I will still be a doctor and can still be called a psychiatrist. I wish I can be shameless enough to do this to make mockery of this system.

Another advantage of PMHNP pathway for MD is the lifespan crap where I can treat mental health problems from birth to death without any BS child psych or geri psych fellowships.
I don’t think you could be called a psychiatrist unless you do residency and are boarded

Reactions: 1 users
Just open a cash practice and say you are IM focused on Psych.

But if you want money, a cash only DPC practice in primary care is far superior to Psychiatry for earning potential.

And if you are IM who is willing to handle/tolerate Psych, you are meant for primary care, and could have the resiliency for DPC, too.

*DPC = Direct Primary Care other monikers are retainer practice, cash practice, micro practice, etc

Whatever you do won't come quick, nor easy and will require notable time investment and energy to get there. So choose wisely, [insert indiana jones clip here]
I always thought a cash psych practice made way more than DPC

I think there is a wider bell curve for greater standard deviations for DPC.

$125/month per patient, x 12 months, x 600 patients in DPC = $900K
Subtract overhead, and at most need one stellar RN for procedures, call backs, PAs etc. At most 2nd staff who is maybe MA.
So overhead of at most 200K just being very broad with supplies, office, insurance. Scratch that, do quality benefits, so 260K.
That leaves 640K for the Doc.

Will it build up overnight? Nope, but the potential for DPC to exceed Psych, I do believe so.

I don’t think you could be called a psychiatrist unless you do residency and are boarded
What I am trying to say is, psychiatry deals with a very vulnerable patient population. Most patients considered their NPs as psychiatrist. It's not going to be hard for a MD to masquerade as psychiatrist if NPs can do that. It just shows how much midlevels are controlling the health system and the bastardization of our GME training.

Reactions: 3 users
A general psychiatrist can do this just as easily as a psych np. The real issue is who wants to work with these populations. Psych nps get pushed into those roles because their lobby has claimed they can do it, but general psychiatrists just don't want to do it.

What I am trying to say is, psychiatry deals with a very vulnerable patient population. Most patients considered their NPs as psychiatrist. It's not going to be hard for a MD to masquerade as psychiatrist if NPs can do that. It just shows how much midlevels are controlling the health system and the bastardization of our GME training.
They have alot more lobbying power

A general psychiatrist can do this just as easily as a psych np. The real issue is who wants to work with these populations. Psych nps get pushed into those roles because their lobby has claimed they can do it, but general psychiatrists just don't want to do it.
Gen psych doesn't want the liability.

Reactions: 3 users
There's an NP I know in FM who calls herself a doctor. Everyone in the office calls her a doctor when they introduce her to patients. It's pretty much a scam at this point. I wonder where this lies in terms of liability.

There's an NP I know in FM who calls herself a doctor. Everyone in the office calls her a doctor when they introduce her to patients. It's pretty much a scam at this point. I wonder where this lies in terms of liability.

NP, or DNP? If the latter, nothing really go be done. If the former, depends on your local statutes. Doctor is not a protected title. And, if the person is practicing in their scope as defined by local statutes, may be little that boards will do. At least in our state health boards, scope is the issue for most complaints.

NP, or DNP? If the latter, nothing really go be done. If the former, depends on your local statutes. Doctor is not a protected title. And, if the person is practicing in their scope as defined by local statutes, may be little that boards will do. At least in our state health boards, scope is the issue for most complaints.
Psych np has wider berth than Physician's do

A pa was cited by our board for calling himself doctor

If they are doing it in media and you have a local statute about it, it can be done. If there is no statute and/or they haven't done it in some verifiable format, harder to make a case.
Dont know the circumstances. State board didnt like it. And it must have been proveable.