Alpert Medical School (Brown University)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmshstdms5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of the PLME at Brown. I'm interested in surgery as a specialization, and from high school to currently, have been published 3x as an author, and am working in an acclaimed neuroengineering lab at Brown now, as a freshman. Now, I'm well aware Warren Alpert isn't the best medical school in the country ranking-wise, but I don't quite understand why. If I'm correct in understanding that these rankings are best on $ (donors, patrons, etc.) and age to an extent (Alpert is far younger than Harvard and Duke med), going to Alpert won't make me a "bad" doctor with "bad" training, right? As a member of the PLME, I want to know if it's worth it for me to apply out to these better med schools, or even return to my state med school?

Lastly (sorry for the essay), as a freshman, I'm fairly naive about these things, so please forgive my naivete: I want to land a surgical residency in Beth Israel/Mass Gen--one of the big, prestigious kahunas on the east coast. What's the best way for me to go about building the greatest background to be a top contender for such a residency?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Keep on your current pathway. You're building quite the resume, and are already lined up to get into a top-notch program. As you may be aware, AMC is growing extremely quickly right now. The clinical and research opportunities are already excellent and getting better very quickly (particularly research). Applying through AMCAS would be a risky move, unless PLME gives you that freedom without jeopardizing your spot.

As far as the whole rankings thing goes...does it matter? Probably somewhat. When you're applying to residencies, who you know matters. With that said, Brown will leave you about as connected as anywhere else. If you're REALLY worried about getting into a top x residency, then look around at which schools tend to place more people into those programs. Match lists are usually readily available online (and if not I'm sure admissions offices could point you in the right direction). Check out Brown's -- you may be surprised how well they match!

TL;DR -- Go to Brown, keep on your current EC trajectory, ???, profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep on your current pathway. You're building quite the resume, and are already lined up to get into a top-notch program. As you may be aware, AMC is growing extremely quickly right now. The clinical and research opportunities are already excellent and getting better very quickly (particularly research). Applying through AMCAS would be a risky move, unless PLME gives you that freedom without jeopardizing your spot.

As far as the whole rankings thing goes...does it matter? Probably somewhat. When you're applying to residencies, who you know matters. With that said, Brown will leave you about as connected as anywhere else. If you're REALLY worried about getting into a top x residency, then look around at which schools tend to place more people into those programs. Match lists are usually readily available online (and if not I'm sure admissions offices could point you in the right direction). Check out Brown's -- you may be surprised how well they match!

This. Brown is a great undergraduate and medical school. You are extremely lucky to have the opportunity to not have to deal with the stress and anxiety of applying to other schools.

Random question: how did you manage to be a 3x published author before you finished your freshman year? Just curious (and by curious I mean jealous.. haha)

AMS's match list isn't bad either-I'm sure with good boards you'll be able to go to MGH/BDH easy.

That is great advice, autotroph: thank you! And you're right, AMS does have great matches and a solid number go on to MGH/BDH. Just wanted to know if I'm on the right track. Question, though: when you say "who you know matters," whom are you referring to? Would you recommend I contact those individuals as well?

Nuance: yes, it's great having that "backup," as my parents say :D Well, I wasn't first author (though I'm hoping I'm first on the bioinform paper...fingers crossed!), if that clarifies anything. I was fortunate to live near my state med school and I contacted a bunch of researchers in high school and worked for them over the summer. I was kinda pushy, haha!

Question, though: when you say "who you know matters," whom are you referring to? Would you recommend I contact those individuals as well?

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. It's no surprise you're unfamiliar with how applying for residency works, and neither am I, but I have gather a few pieces from various people on the interview trail. When I say, "who you know matters," I mean that its good if your letter writer (IIRC at brown it's the head of the academy) or PI knows people from the residency program(s) you're applying to. It also helps immensely to do an away rotation during your clerkship in the program of the residency that you're interested in, which Brown allows you to do.

You're a freshman UG right now--don't worry too much about getting cozy with residency directors at MGH (or what have you) yet. Once you get to medical school, you will have PLENTY of time and far better resources to start doing that. For now, focus on your UG studies, ECs, enjoy life, etc...You're in a good place right now. Stay focused and motivated, and be proactive, and the sky is the limit for you at this point. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.