Already doing a formal post-bacc, should I still do DIY this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xDriftAway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Recently I've been accepted into a 2 year formal post-bacc (~30 units)/SMP program this upcoming fall. My cGPA is a 3.0 and my sGPA is a ~2.5. I am aiming to get into DO schools, so I know that retakes would be the best option. However, the local universities / CC closest to my home do not offer any classes I can retake for this summer term. My only option is to take a new upper division science course (which I know isn't as effective in raising my sGPA as retaking for DO). Should I bother taking this class or will the 2 year post-bacc/SMP program be sufficient? The class is also a bit expensive...

At this point you are on the SMP track, so focus on making A's in your SMP! Doing poorly means your chances of med school (like some others posting for help on SDN) are absolutely nil. Poorly can mean below a 3.5-3.7 depending on the program.

There might have been other easier options with retakes and DO before your SMP application/acceptance, but turning them down at this late stage could be even worse for you.

Best of Luck