Already have a masters degree should I apply for a SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fete

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a URM who is about to graduate with a degree in the hard sciences, my grad gpa is a 3.5. My my overall undergraduate gpa was a 3.0.

I am trying to increase my chances in getting into a MD school, and before I started my masters, I did not know that a graduate GPA would not offset my low undergraduate gpa.

I have taken all of the pre-reqs and Most BCPM courses

I was thinking of doing a SMP after I am done with my masters.

Professional Advice needed please

Members don't see this ad.

Not a professional here, but will give some advice.

1.What is your MCAT?
a lot depends on your mcat. Good test taker?

2.What is your sGPA?

3. Adcoms do not care about graduate gpa.

DO you have a trend in your UG gpa?

What type of URM are you ?

Not a professional here, but will give some advice.

1.What is your MCAT?
a lot depends on your mcat. Good test taker?

2.What is your sGPA?

3. Adcoms do not care about graduate gpa.

DO you have a trend in your UG gpa?

What type of URM are you ?

1. My MCAT is low 501, I am planning on retaking it, I did not study the first time around.

2. My undergrad sGPA is 2.9 - mostly due to upper level MAT courses,

3. Yes I have an increasing GPA trend

Members don't see this ad :)
1. My MCAT is low 501, I am planning on retaking it, I did not study the first time around.

2.My undergrad sGPA is 2.9 - mostly due to upper level MAT courses,

3. Yes I have an increasing GPA trend

4. African american

Last edited:
Historically speaking only 37% of AA applicants get accepted with your scores. If you are willing to take the time, I believe a post bac and then an MCAT retake would be your best shot. You may have a better shot at DO schools at this time.

The quickest way to get into medical school for you at this point would be an MCAT retake with a score of 505 and above. That is easier said than done though.

Reactions: 2 users
You seem like a better candidate for DO school.

Is there a specific reason you're pressed for MD school? DO schools factor graduate GPA into overall GPA, and that 501 MCAT can get you into some schools including new ones.

Consider it!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

Is there a specific reason you're pressed for MD school? DO schools factor graduate GPA into overall GPA, and that 501 MCAT can get you into some schools including new ones.

Consider it!

This is news to me. Could you tell me what schools do that? Since AACOMAS separates Grad GPA and UG gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
I tend to lean towards postbacc over SMP due to time and expense. Lets examine this

1) While DO no longer has the grade replacement policy, I would say the schools cultures still look favorably upon improved grades. So a repeat of the prereqs and a good MCAT could be a reasonable path.

2) MD schools arent that impressed with improved repeated grades. This would be especially unimpressive with your already having a hard science grad degree; you would simply be expected to do well. And if you do less than "A" work, it could hurt badly. So SMP would be the path

3) So SMP would be good for both DO and MD, Postbacc less so for MD. Improved MCAT is needed. And lets be very, very clear. Study, prep, get ready to the point of way overkill. A really great MCAT will do alot for your acceptance chances. Taking that into account, if you do postbacc repeating prereqs and do well, which will help you prep for MCAT, and you do solid on a repeated MCAT, using a narrative of repeating classes as a sign of your motivation, commitment to overcome your lack of serious, work ethic, etc as UG, , you would probably be a decent candidate for both.

I am not sure which way would best fit you SMP or postbacc but I see paths in both
How good of an MCAT score do you think I'll need to get a chance at an MD school?

Consider it!

late reply, but I dont know too much about DO schools, and I think the community that I plan on serving would trust me more if I received an MD, so I will be doing all that I can to get into a US MD school.

late reply, but I dont know too much about DO schools, and I think the community that I plan on serving would trust me more if I received an MD, so I will be doing all that I can to get into a US MD school.
Which community do you speak of?

Reactions: 1 user

That is a very silly assumption. The only differences between a DO and MD are OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine) and the letters. People don't trust a doctor based on the letters behind their name.

Reactions: 1 users