Already have PhD, will that make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychinterestwoman

Reaction score
I am contemplating going part-time to an online or a hybrid PhD doctoral psychology program like Fielding Graduate or Alliant. I am worried about the APA-accreditation and know that Fielding is on probation, but I do see some Fielding graduates working for large medical groups like Kaiser and Magellan.

My question is whether my earlier PhD in education and high-ranked universities degrees will mitigate the problems that come with attending a lower-ranked doctoral psychology program like an online or a hybrid one like Fielding? Will this earlier work make me marketable if there are doubts about my academic pedigree?

My other concern is whether this type of program is doable while working full-time as a secondary teacher? I cannot stop working since I need my income, so can I finish this type of program which requires internship hours while I am working as a high school teacher? I do have summers free.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is whether my earlier PhD in education and high-ranked universities degrees will mitigate the problems that come with attending a lower-ranked doctoral psychology program like an online or a hybrid one like Fielding? Will this earlier work make me marketable if there are doubts about my academic pedigree?

No. If you want a clinical job, hiring managers and committees will be evaluating you based on your clinically related training.

My other concern is whether this type of program is doable while working full-time as a secondary teacher? I cannot stop working since I need my income, so can I finish this type of program which requires internship hours while I am working as a high school teacher? I do have summers free.

Not full-time. I know of doc students who were able to work part-time side gigs with flexible hours while in graduate training (adjunct teaching, private practice). You could likely make substitute teaching work, but full-time work with the hours of a teacher is not possible. Do know that if you attend a better graduate program you will likely have an income through a stipend and tuition remission.

If you want to work for a medical center like the ones you listed you really cannot cut corners. You would make it extremely difficult on yourself in the hiring process, in addition to receiving what is likely to be sub-par training.

Given your education and work history have you considered school psychology?

Agreed with above. I would also add that you might find it difficult to do substitute teaching through programs with good reputations as most have full time expectations and pressing pause for 8 hours a week may be difficult.

School psych application committees and future jobs would also be more likely to see utility in your other degree as it relates and likely strengthens your knowledge of the school context.

What are your career goals that inspire this interest in change?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I see an application with one of the above institutions on it, it goes right into the "no consideration" pile. This goes for internship, postdoc, and hiring decisions. We get enough applications for things, that there is zero reason for me to even look at these.

Reactions: 1 users
It's unlikely you can attend either of the named universities and work full-time. As others mentioned, you can work as an adjunct or in private practice; however, managing full-time work in either program will be impossible. Many graduates from both programs go on to have flourishing careers. Also, if attending either of the mentioned universities ensures that you won't find yourself working under a sanctimonious supervisor, it sounds like a win-win to me. Best of luck whatever you decide!

Reactions: 1 user
It's unlikely you can attend either of the named universities and work full-time. As others mentioned, you can work as an adjunct or in private practice; however, managing full-time work in either program will be impossible. Many graduates from both programs go on to have flourishing careers. Also, if attending either of the mentioned universities ensures that you won't find yourself working under a sanctimonious supervisor, it sounds like a win-win to me. Best of luck whatever you decide!

5129607997_660a65a1fc_b.jpg

Attrition rates and licensure rates of those programs do not support your opinion.

Also, if attending either of the mentioned universities ensures that you won't find yourself working under a sanctimonious supervisor, it sounds like a win-win to me.
I don't understand what you mean here.

Ime:

1) No, your first doctorate will not improve your career prospects. Hiring managers want psychologists with good training who have a demonstrated history of successful work. Online programs are not regarded as good training. Showing a history of trying to work a side business is not consistent with the job requirements of being at work 40hrs/week.

I know a few psychologists with two doctorates. No one cares about the first doctorate at all. None that I know actually list their first doctorate.

2) there is a near zero chance that you could work of sufficient hours to support yourself in a reputable clinical psychology program. If there was a way for this to happen, you wouldn’t hear all the stories of poor graduate students and students loan debts.

Think of it this way: you want to hire an attorney. You get 50 applications. You can get your pick. There do you go with the ivy grad or the grad from an online school? Exactly. Now say everyone graduated from the same school. Do you hire the attorney that took 7 years to graduate, and gives you this king story about why; or do you go with the straight shooter who showed zero problems?

I am contemplating going part-time to an online or a hybrid PhD doctoral psychology program like Fielding Graduate or Alliant. I am worried about the APA-accreditation and know that Fielding is on probation, but I do see some Fielding graduates working for large medical groups like Kaiser and Magellan.

Unless your first PhD is in a very closely related field I’d be surprised if it factored into your marketability in this field. That doesn’t mean that you don’t have applicable skills that wouldn’t help you, just that potential employers may or may not care.

I think you should consider getting the doctorate to be a full-time job. It is, even at professional schools. Now, some people can successfully work 2 full time jobs. 60-80+ hours a week are not unheard of in some industries. Only you can know if that is doable with any other obligations/responsibilities. I think for most it is a recipe for burnout.

ETA: talking to current students in programs you are considering may help you decide if the expectations of the program can fit around your current job. I think it’s doubtful that you would never have a school obligation that conflicts with your work hours. I’m also not sure how “part-time” you can attend either of those schools.

... Will this earlier work make me marketable if there are doubts about my academic pedigree?...
While it may not make you more marketable when combined with clinical training from a program with a poor reputation, it may make you more marketable to a graduate program with a good reputation, particularly if you can show a history of academic achievement and research participation in a rigorous training environment. Have you looked into options for university-based clinical programs? When I was in your shoes, I remember thinking that only rich people went to graduate school. After some investigation, I found this wasn't the case. With tuition waivers and funded TA/RA/Practicum positions (plus some modest loans), I was able to attend graduate school and not suffer too much.

I'd really suggest that you do some numbers crunching. The programs you mention are quite expensive. I'm guessing that given you expressed a need to maintain an income, you would not be paying out of pocket for such programs, and thus would be financing a substantial portion. End result is that keeping your day job and attending such programs will likely cost you a great deal of money relative to other options (e.g., spending some time beefing up any areas of your application that might be hurting your chances of attending a program with a better reputation that also offers funding). Completing an online/hybrid doctorate from such programs is quite likely to result in you owing quite a bit of money (with $1000+ monthly loan payments) that would end up costing you more in the long run that if you just kept your teaching gig. Objectively speaking, these programs' published outcomes are not very good (in some cases 50%+ of students who start are not able to finish with an apa approved internship). We all like to see ourselves as the outlier, when it's probably more financially prudent to make important life and financial decision assuming we're the mode.

Reactions: 1 user