already know what your specialty will be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pwrpfgrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious - how many here already are pretty sure about the specialty they want? how did you decide on it?

I have some general ideas for myself, but nothing very concrete and just wanted to see how typical that is.

Thanks for the input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi pwrpfgrl,

I want to be a neurologist because I've been doing clinical research on multiple sclerosis for the last two years. But some people say you get into med school and have lots of great experiences and end up in something completely different from what you expected. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up in derm.

I'm pretty set on surgery. I love the quick results you get from this line of work and working with my hands is something I like to do. As of yet, I'm unsure as to which surgical field, but I'm leading towards general or reconstructive/plastics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really love ortho because way back when I was a pre-vet I got to see tons of veterinary orthopedic surgeries, and I thought they were so interesting. But I'm not sure if that's what I want to do since I'm interested in almost every other specialty. I figure that it will come to me sometime within the next three years :wink:

Thanks everyone! I guess my problem is that I think everything sounds like I would enjoy it. This was also my problem as an undergrad - it took me so long to narrow down what I wanted to do that I lost time in preparing myself for applying to med school. i'm worried that the same type of thing may happen once i get into med school and I'll be hopelessly behind again! :( that would stink. i hate playing catch-up but i'm worried that if i decide on something too soon, i may miss out on others!

I'm going in with an open mind, but I really feel like neonatology is what I would like to do.