Already Submitted App - wondering if I need more target schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflowersmiles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker but first time poster!

I actually already submitted my app and completed secondaries to most of these schools, but I am starting to get worried that I may not have enough targets. Can anyone look over my list and help me think of any other schools? I know I am being neurotic but I see people getting interviews already so it's making me nervous.

Stats

LizzyM ~74

Volunteering

-hospital volunteering (200 hours)
-decent amount of non-clinical volunteering with underserved populations

Research

-2 years of research
-1 publication
-1 abstract/poster presentation

Shadowing

-100 hours (multiple specialties)

Teaching/Mentoring

- TA and other teaching jobs (~300 hrs)

Leadership

-Orientation Leader (170 hrs)
- Other leadership roles in clubs

Misc and Hobbies
- interesting/unique hobbies carried through college

School List (I know it's already a lot, but I don't know if I made good choices)

My State School
Baylor
Boston U
Case Western
Creighton
Duke
Keck
Mayo
Mayo Arizona
Medical College of Wisconsin
Jefferson
Stanford
Ohio State
Tufts
Arizona (both)
Cincinnati
Iowa
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Brown
Uni Virginia
Indiana
Vermont
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Pitt
Penn State

Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you very much!

EDIT for anonymity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several interviews from your list. If you want to add schools consider Einstein, St. Louis, Tulane, Miami.

Unless you live in a really competitive state(ie Utah, Maryland, Colorado, Washington etc) I wouldn't really consider adding more. There a few I probably wouldn't bother filling out a secondary for if anything on here.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha Thank you for your advice, I will look into those schools!

Unless you live in a really competitive state(ie Utah, Maryland, Colorado, Washington etc) I wouldn't really consider adding more. There a few I probably wouldn't bother filling out a secondary for if anything on here.

Unfortunately I do live in one of those competitive states that you mentioned! Does that change anything? Which types of schools would you not fill out secondaries for? I still have a few of the OOS public schools left to do that I saved for last.

In terms of secondaries I'd potentially avoid:
IU gets much of its OOS class from its branch campuses and neighboring states. You can find a better option.
Unless you went to Brown for UG I wouldn't fill out a secondary you dont fit what they look for
Baylor has few OOS spots and Mayo has few spots in general(I'd probably try the new campus though)
Penn St's not a high yield option for you.
You know your reaches(ie top 20's). That's always a place to cut a few secondaries from if you want more targets.

You don't need many more targets. Just go through MSAR and find several more that are OOS friendly get <11k apps and have an MCAT median around roughly 33(ie Miami, Tulane, SLU etc). If you are from a state that bordering state schools are receptive to add those as well. That's all you really need, nothing major.