"Alternate List" at Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else?

By the way, for those of you wondering - the letter was mailed to my apartment (not my parent's... as some people said their acceptance packets were) in NYC. It was postmarked Dec 8.

Members don't see this ad.

hmmmm very interesting. I interviewed in early october and I haven't heard anything from them thus far. I wonder if I'll get that same letter sometime this week

I am waitlisted too. I wonder what are our chances of getting in. Does anybody know when they send the next batch of acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am waitlisted too. I wonder what are our chances of getting in. Does anybody know when they send the next batch of acceptances?
I don't think there's a "next batch of acceptances." Isn't it just rolling post Dec 1?

I don't think there's a "next batch of acceptances." Isn't it just rolling post Dec 1?

I do not know. By the way, when was your interview?

hmmmm very interesting. I interviewed in early october and I haven't heard anything from them thus far. I wonder if I'll get that same letter sometime this week

Same with me. This is the only/last school I haven't heard from yet. I have a feeling I'm in the same place. According to predents.com, people have been accepted on dec 1 and 3rd... which makes me nervous.

I guess, its rolling from here on out. good luck everyone!
Also, if you got into Columbia, would you go??

that depends. I would take it over Tufts and BU... but if VCU or UW end up accepting me, its a tough decision. I would certainly like to go to Columbia since its a great school though.

interviewed in september but haven't heard anything since. when i called earlier this week, i was told i would hear by the end of this week? i'm not sure if this is for everyone who interviewed pre-december 1st, but they definitely did not ask for my name.

Did anyone hear from Columbia this week?

also i have a question for other people who have been placed on the alternate list. The letter (postmarked Dec. 4th) seemed pretty abysmal. To me it seemed like the only way we were getting in the class is after May, if somebody dies or freaks out and decides not to attend. Is our "alternate list" any different from a "waitlist" that would allow us to take the spots of people that decline offers in January? I'm so confused here. I'm going to call Dr. McManus on Monday and see what the deal is.
Can someone please elaborate if they know?

I haven't heard back from them since I was interviewed in October. I'd call and ask what my status is but they're kind of useless over the phone.

I haven't heard back from them since I was interviewed in October. I'd call and ask what my status is but they're kind of useless over the phone.

Same for me. I'm planning to call them if I don't hear anything by the end of this coming week. Yes, still a long wait, but I figured maybe something got lost in the mail.

also i have a question for other people who have been placed on the alternate list. The letter (postmarked Dec. 4th) seemed pretty abysmal. To me it seemed like the only way we were getting in the class is after May, if somebody dies or freaks out and decides not to attend. Is our "alternate list" any different from a "waitlist" that would allow us to take the spots of people that decline offers in January? I'm so confused here. I'm going to call Dr. McManus on Monday and see what the deal is.
Can someone please elaborate if they know?

Can you let us know what they say? I'm interested in how the alternate list works as well. THANKS in advance.

Same for me. I'm planning to call them if I don't hear anything by the end of this coming week. Yes, still a long wait, but I figured maybe something got lost in the mail.

Can you let us know what they say? I'm interested in how the alternate list works as well. THANKS in advance.

I called twice this week and all they told me was they couldn't share anything over the phone, not even if something had been mailed. They also said that I would hear by the end of last week, which I didn't. Meh.

Alright so here is the official deal:

I called Dr. McManus and he said that the "alternate list" and the "wait list" are the same thing. You can be accepted off the wait/alternate list anytime from January 15th to July and it is not some emergency valve of applicants to fill the class in the event of an accepted student dropping their spot in the summer. In fact, it is a very good place to be. The list is unranked and you can decide to sign up for it by signing the paper and mailing it back in. Overall, I got a good impression about it.

Thanks for sharing!! That all sounds like good news.

I just was at columbia for the interview this past friday.

Dr. Davis, did not really specifically tell us how many they are planning to interview this year.

tho i heard one post saying someone hearing that columbia is interview only 150.

i think this is false.

i did a calculation on my own this is what i ended up.

so far i think there were around 160 people interview.

i know it is not true for every interview, but at mine there were 14 people.

i do not think however they will invite more than 14 people, cuz all of the chair in the room we

were in was filled.

so far there were around 12- 13 interview session.

doing simple math, you end up with 160- 170 people.

quite a few people for 75 spots.

also gotta think there are already interviews scheduled till end of feburary.

i think 300 will be a fairly accurate estimation.

hey so what do you think of chances getting off the wait list in jan/feb? i mean the people wait listed aren't exactly being compared any more... so how can they say we aren't the left-over fillers that get in if they can't fill the class? i'm a little confused :S