Alternate List Limbo(2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oman313

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to my fellow residents of the Netherworld known as the Alternate List,

Has anyone heard from UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Wayne State University, or the University of Cincinnati?
Aside from my question regarding these schools, has anyone heard anything good, or at least hopeful from any school that they would like to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I was pulled off the waitlist at Albert Einstein a couple of weeks ago! Hang in there. Your time will come. There's still at least a month of pulling people off of waitlists before school starts. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello..Does anyone know if Indiana U alternate list has moved?? Anyone have any info on their alternate list?? thanks for replies.

re: Wayne's waitlist, I've heard that there is some movement, but it's relatively minor compared to most years where its significantly more brisk. From al the schools I've spoken with, waitlist activity is unordinarily slow this year.

Anyone know anything about Loyola? Anyone going to give up a seat there (PLEASE!)

Thanks to all of you that have replied so far. Congrats to Dr'04 and Mango. As for the rest of us, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My conversations with admissions at the schools that I'm alt' listed on have not given me any specific info regarding my file. All they say is to please be patient and that I will be contacted if such a need arises. Unfortunately, I can confirm the sluggish movement of the lists too. Here's hoping that the pace picks up soon.

P.S. to Meghan:I went through the Cincy enevelope emotion roller coaster as well. I thought, mmm fat enevelope...d'oh! I'm glad it worked out for you
smile.gif

Oman, Thank you for your kind words, I've got my fingers crossed for you!
smile.gif
Good Luck

Is there anyone still holding multiple seats? If it's because people are waiting until their financial aid package comes in to make a final decision, that's understandable, but otherwise, PLEASE decide on a school.

Today, I called the admissions offices of the schools that I've been wait-listed on. UMDNJ-Newark has "cut off" their list, so letters of regret have been sent and I should be receiving mine soon. Wayne State doesn't look good either because this list hasn't been moving. Finally, the University of Cincinnati refuses to divulge any information whatsoever, except to say that if I am to be accepted it will be by August 15th. Sadly, unless some great miracle takes place, I think this does it for me and the class of 2004.

GOOD LUCK to those of you who have been accepted. The journey will be long and diffucult, but for those of you who are in it for the right reasons it will be a rewarding one.

Take care,
Mario

I just got pulled off the waitlist for Buffalo. Hang in there everyone! Schools should be opening up more spaces now because the grace period that they allow people with multiple acceptances to get their financial aid packages together (i.e. making the choice bet. public or private schools) is coming to a close. My financial aid was taken care of way back in May, because I'm Army HPSP. My parents called me half way across the world to tell me. I guess I'm coming back a little earlier than expected. I wish everyone still waiting on a list the best of luck. Keep the faith!

Congrats Wiggy
smile.gif

Just curious, are you a New York state resident?

Unfortunately for me, I am a resident of NJ so the rejection by NJMS is diasappointing. As an OSS(Out of State Student) I am not very hopeful for the other two schools comming through for me. Oh well.

This self-pity stuff from me is getting old, isn't it.

oman313, I know how you feel. Keep the faith, At worst, you'll have another year to improve on your file. I worked as a lab tech for a year in NYC (I'm an NY resident, btw) I didn't get in the first time, but this time I got in to 3 schools. Applying to medical school is a game sometimes. Hang in there, and you'll make it.

wiggy

[This message has been edited by wiggy (edited 07-21-2000).]

I'm in the process of making a NJMS voo doo doll. A curse over that FU$#@%^ school.

No seriously, congrats to all who will enroll there. Good Luck this fall. (Enjoy lovely Newark.)

I don't know how you all feel about this, but I have a friend who was applying to med school. He had received rejections and was wait-listed at one school...and it was getting close to the beginning of the school year. He took a risk and called the secretary tro ask on his status...careful to be friendly, brown-nosing and chatty...and called back every few days professing his interest. He received an acceptance and was later told that his motivation played a large role...any thoughts?

Kristen
http://www.medicalspouse.com http://www.survivingresidency.com

I got off the wait list yesterday at USC. So it does happen. I guess that opens up my old spot at Indiana. Good luck all, don't lose faith.
Vanessa

Hey, wiggy. So has anything else changed in your life during the last year? Or you think that you are admitted simply because you worked as a lab tech?

Also it seems that most med. schools start in august instead of middle of the June, is it right? Otherwise, you guys won't be still waiting for admission, right.

Originally posted by wiggy:
I worked as a lab tech for a year in NYC (I'm an NY resident, btw) I didn't get in the first time, but this time I got in to 3 schools.

Wiggy
[This message has been edited by wiggy (edited 07-21-2000).]

I see that you are dropping Indiana for USC....Is this correct vnacyd?? IF so, then i have a chance to get in at IU...YEs!! There is still hope!

Yes, miracles really do happen!

I want to thank all of you who have looked at what I've had to say, especially to those of you who have written replies. They have really been helpful to me while I've been in "limbo". I am pleased to report that I have been accepted to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. To those of you who are still waiting, make sure that the admissions office has not only your home phone number, but your work or cell phone number too(I was contacted this afternoon at work). Also, get anyone who you think has written you a really good recommendation letter to call the admissions office on your behalf.

Good Luck!

Oman313(ODoc313)

P.S. to Mango: I'll see you in the fall.