alternate list nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ithica20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of the month, I got on the alternate list at suny buffalo. they said i was a "high priority" on the alternate list. just wondering if anyone out there ever had this status and got in and what the time frame was like. i am sick of my growing nerosis of mail box checking waiting for a letter of acceptance. good luck to everyone out there. also, i was wondering if anyone knew why they (medical admissions offices) won't release all of your info (you're exact number on their list, what number they are at). any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Acceptance is on a rolling basis; the class is not oversubscribed. Within 4 to 6 weeks of the interview approximately one third are accepted, one half wait-listed, the rest rejected. The wait-list is rank ordered. Offers are made on a rolling basis [someone accepted turns it down, next name on wait-list is made an offer]. Calls are accepted from wait-listed candidates or the advisor. Submission of supplementary materials is discouraged. Greatest movement from the list is MAY 1-JULY 15. As many as 25 have been admitted after JULY 15.

Wait-listed candidates have to be good at living with deferred gratification! Good luck.

thanks gower! Well I guess patients is a virtue after all. I'll just keep waiting patiently and get to know the mail man personally!

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by gower:
Acceptance is on a rolling basis; the class is not oversubscribed. Within 4 to 6 weeks of the interview approximately one third are accepted, one half wait-listed, the rest rejected. The wait-list is rank ordered. Offers are made on a rolling basis [someone accepted turns it down, next name on wait-list is made an offer]. Calls are accepted from wait-listed candidates or the advisor. Submission of supplementary materials is discouraged. Greatest movement from the list is MAY 1-JULY 15. As many as 25 have been admitted after JULY 15.

Wait-listed candidates have to be good at living with deferred gratification! Good luck.

Hi Gower:

Does this apply to all SUNY schools? Do you know anything about Downstate? I am on their waiting list.

Thanks
smile.gif

Eric

An update - I just got an email from one of my friends that was also on the "high priority" waitlist at Buffalo. He got in today. My understanding (from the students there) is that they use most, if not all, of their "high priority" waitlist. Hope this helps.

thanks hope. i just needed to hear that to know it's "really" happening out there.

The UB waitlist is really moving now, lots of my friends have gotten phone calls (not letters of acceptance as they stated they would send before July 1st) One of them was not on the priority list so maybe they've finsihed with that list and are on to the "normal" alternates now!!

yeah as an update . . . i got in about 3 weeks ago. plus from messages on the boards, i think it was on tpr, they are now into the "regular" alternate list and past the "priority" part. i am just thankful i can quit checking the freakin mail every day. being on the alt list sucks. but at least you sleep a lot better when it's over. this is some real movement now on buffalo's lists.

I've been waitlisted at GW and MCP and know what it feels like to be on the alternate list! I spoke to an admissions counselor last week and they told me that they don't rank people on the waitlist. I asked him how they select people off of it and he said that "they have their own internal method of selection" whatever that's supposed to mean. I think GW is a school that encourages updates but I am curious if anyone knows what
this "internal method" of selection is. I mean, does this really translate to "YOU have to know someone in the med school to get in" or what??/ ANy thoughts or advice will be appreciated... :)

i know the dean at the university of colorado is talking about going to a lottery system for the waitlist . . . all of this hard work reduced to a lottery. i bet they'll refer to that as an "internal" way of selecting.
i'd encourage you to submit anything that would show you wanna get in at this point.