Alternating Currents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerpunk60

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is this/what do we need to to know?
Obviously DC curcuits are important and that stuff is on the mcat a lot, but what about AC stuff? If there are things we need to know, what equations? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How important is this/what do we need to to know?
Obviously DC curcuits are important and that stuff is on the mcat a lot, but what about AC stuff? If there are things we need to know, what equations? Thanks

Alternating current isn't a major topic tested on the MCAT. You should be aware that the expression for the current is of some sinusoid wave with some phase and that it has many real world application like transformers. Also, you should be aware of the power equations for alternating current circuits--the circuits ill not be tested on the MCAT. The root mean square of the current is I/square root of 2, power is equal to I(rms)^2*R and V(rms) equal to V/square root of 2. Those are the major points for alternating current. Best of :luck:.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that Alternating Currents follow simple harmonic motion. So, since it follows simple harmonic motion, the voltage or current can be described by a sine wave. Maximum current occurs when electrons are at maximum velocity. So maybe the MCAT could ask something in relation to the simple harmonic motion in relation to AC, since that's a more widely tested topic.