Alternative career paths or job options for MD degrees without residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmt3m4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
While this question has been asked before, ranging from over a decade ago to as recent as within the past months to a year, I hope to obtain a more updated and complete view on the matter. I did review the many similar threads which came before, though a number received little to no replies, some were quite dated, and still others that did receive many replies may have devolved into discussions completely separate from the question. Of the information gleaned from those posts, options include: research, academia, public health, government, insurance, medical writing, pharmaceuticals, consulting, informatics, and other nontraditional clinical options such as sleep medicine and acupuncture.

What I hope to gather here is additional information regarding both possible paths beyond those mentioned, as well as more detailed information regarding these paths. For example, salaries and work-life balance vary greatly depending on residency, so it may be difficult to establish a baseline. Suffice, and hopefully agreeable, to put forth a starting salary range between 40-80k, for an average period between 1-3 years. Hours worked also vary greatly, likely between 30-60 per week. Again these figures are averages, and we're likely all aware that outliers exist. But also please do correct my conceptions if they're amis, because I want as accurate a picture of the truth as possible.

And so with that, what are the comparable statistics of alternative career paths without residency? What are the other benefits, costs, pros, and cons of these career paths? What other career paths still exist that have not been mentioned?

To keep the discussion on-topic, I will refrain from commenting why these career paths may be of interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dropoutclub.com. Interesting job posting site for health care professionals (mostly MD/DO) looking for work outside of traditional clinical settings.

Went to SGU and graduated around late 2016. Working for the state government for that PSLF.

Position Starting Salary: 70k
Position Salary After 5 Year Tenure: 90k
Hours Work: Government employee. At MOST 40 hours. I am salaried, paid the whole day even if I am just there for 4 hours.

Benefits: My 450k in student loans is going to be forgiven tax free. I am home before 4PM most days. With union it's almost impossible to get fired. If I can't finish a task, it's the boss issue, not mine. Health benefits and pension so generous it's bankrupting the state. Get to sit in my cube and listen to music, while drinking coffee.
Cons: 90k salary is still lower the most doctors.

I review data and so on. An example is if someone wants to say they want to do a comparison of COPD of someone in this district vs another, with income as a filter. I just pull the data through a pre-defined query list, or I just alter the lines a bit to fit my needs. Though you don't type COPD into the system and to generate it. You either field a pre-define ICD10 or HCPCS grouper, or you create your own population set. SQL knowledge recommended, but not needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uh....wow. That is such a great gig. That seems much better than being coughed on in a primary care clinic.

Went to SGU and graduated around late 2016. Working for the state government for that PSLF.

Hours Work: Government employee. At MOST 40 hours. I am salaried, paid the whole day even if I am just there for 4 hours.

Benefits: My 450k in student loans is going to be forgiven tax free. I am home before 4PM most days. With union it's almost impossible to get fired. If I can't finish a task, it's the boss issue, not mine. Health benefits and pension so generous it's bankrupting the state. Get to sit in my cube and listen to music, while drinking coffee.

I review data and so on. An example is if someone wants to say they want to do a comparison of COPD of someone in this district vs another, with income as a filter. I just pull the data through a pre-defined query list, or I just alter the lines a bit to fit my needs. Though you don't type COPD into the system and to generate it. You either field a pre-define ICD10 or HCPCS grouper, or you create your own population set. SQL knowledge recommended, but not needed.

Id also like to hear from some US IMG about job prospects for graduates with ECFMG licensure but NO residency

Ive searched and searched and most if not all jobs require a state licensure and doesnt mention anything about a US IMG instead referring to MD/DO from US schools

Anyone please chime in?

Id also like to hear from some US IMG about job prospects for graduates with ECFMG licensure but NO residency

Ive searched and searched and most if not all jobs require a state licensure and doesnt mention anything about a US IMG instead referring to MD/DO from US schools

Anyone please chime in?

You really have to be creative. It’s a fine line since organizations don’t want to be liable with an unlicensed MD. Yet, there is just a very small gap for a MD no license to enter. Since medical appeals, and major population health items involve license.

However insurance separate clinical and benefits division. You have to sell yourself as someone that can bridge those two divisions.

And never stop learnining. Learn programming on side through SQLZoo or web design at freecodecamp to polish skill sets.

If you desperate you can take out MD and put just Student. Write a cover letter and say you were also “traveling”. And you want work life balance.

Indeed.com is a black hole I swear. I found my job through the states job listing. It involves some bureaucracy. The lower the threshold to apply the more competition.

what do you do after 4pm?

Reactions: 1 users

Fellow SGU grad here as well! Any idea where I can look to find a PSLF job as well within the government

Fellow SGU grad here as well! Any idea where I can look to find a PSLF job as well within the government
all Government jobs are PSLF eligible. IIRC.

Reactions: 1 user