Alternative careers in healthcare for IMGs in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

what is the scope?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. I'm an IMG from Pakistan (graduated from medical school last year and completed my internship a week ago) and I am planning to move to Canada next year. It seems like it's becoming next to impossible for IMG's to land a residency in Canada and the picture looks rather bleak (there are articles in The Star about increasing numbers of CMG's going unmatched and slashing of residency spots due to saturation) so wanted to know what other options are there for IMG's to pursue a relevant career in healthcare?

I haven't given the MCCEE and MCCQE yet, but I have considered taking the public health route (MPH, hospital admin) down the road. Which alternative/allied health careers have good job opportunities/outlook in major cities in Canada?

By the way I'm a Canadian citizen (lived in Toronto when I was younger) and have completed a 1-month elective in Canada in my final year of medical school, if that helps at all. Thanks.

Public health probably sounds good. Another possibility is the big pharma route.

I know this is an old thread but could someone explain to me what the "big pharma" route is. I assume its something along the lines of getting a job at apotex. Do they hire IMGs? what would the job entail?

Status
Not open for further replies.