Alternative energy (business role) after MD/PhD (physical chemistry)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmj11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a double major in chemistry and physics applying to MD/PhD programs, and would like to earn my PhD in basic physical chemistry, polymer chemistry, or materials research. I suppose I'm interested in the double degree for very different reasons than most others. The two big fields that I'm passionate about are international health and alternative energy.

I really want to earn the MD partly because after taking four years of physical science, I really miss studying physiology and anatomy (which are my favorite subjects). I thought I'd get the MD/PhD and then do an internal medicine residency, because I want to be able to spend some time practicing in developing countries (say, a month a year), as well as do some shifts in clinics for the uninsured in the US perhaps one or two nights a week. And I think I would legitimately love the academic experience of medical school.

But as for a full-time career, I don't see myself practicing. I'd like to work as sort of a link between the science and business worlds at a company like a consulting firm that deals with new technologies. I know the MD would be an asset for biotech issues, but I don't want to pigeon-hole myself into just that and would still like to do be able to get involved with areas like fuel cell development and photovoltaics, where a physical chemistry or materials PhD would be useful.

I enjoy learning new languages (French, Chinese, Spanish, working on Arabic and Russian), my favorite books are about economics, and I want a job with alot of travel. So private, NGO, or govt consulting seems like a good fit.

Is this practical or feasible? I know getting an MD to do part-time community work and occasional work abroad is a pretty big investment of time, but at least I can financially justify only partly using it if I get the MSTP scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a double major in chemistry and physics applying to MD/PhD programs, and would like to earn my PhD in basic physical chemistry, polymer chemistry, or materials research. I suppose I'm interested in the double degree for very different reasons than most others. The two big fields that I'm passionate about are international health and alternative energy.

I really want to earn the MD partly because after taking four years of physical science, I really miss studying physiology and anatomy (which are my favorite subjects). I thought I'd get the MD/PhD and then do an internal medicine residency, because I want to be able to spend some time practicing in developing countries (say, a month a year), as well as do some shifts in clinics for the uninsured in the US perhaps one or two nights a week. And I think I would legitimately love the academic experience of medical school.

But as for a full-time career, I don't see myself practicing. I'd like to work as sort of a link between the science and business worlds at a company like a consulting firm that deals with new technologies. I know the MD would be an asset for biotech issues, but I don't want to pigeon-hole myself into just that and would still like to do be able to get involved with areas like fuel cell development and photovoltaics, where a physical chemistry or materials PhD would be useful.

I enjoy learning new languages (French, Chinese, Spanish, working on Arabic and Russian), my favorite books are about economics, and I want a job with alot of travel. So private, NGO, or govt consulting seems like a good fit.

Is this practical or feasible? I know getting an MD to do part-time community work and occasional work abroad is a pretty big investment of time, but at least I can financially justify only partly using it if I get the MSTP scholarship.

There's only so many hours in a day; stick with one thing. You can't do both well at the same time.

Alternative energy is a very exciting area. IMO, an expert in energy, alternative fuels, etc., has the potential to make an even bigger impact on society than anyone involved in healthcare, especially when considering the biggest problems facing the world today.

That said, I agree with the above post. There really isn't a practical way I can see to do both and get the most out of your abilities. Pick one and become really good at it.

most md/phds dont practice much anyway, so it sounds ok to me...