alternative med school options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tijames

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering what one does if they do premed but don't get into med school. Is it common to apply the following year to orthodonture/dental schools after med school refusals? Also, what is the difference(coursewise) between premed, predental, preorthodonture, and prevet?

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably not uncommon, but on SDN at least most people will do a postbacc or special masters program and reapply.

And veterinary school is harder to get into than med schools I think.

Are you wanting to settle or what? Those four careers are so different! If you don't get into medical school on your first shot, I would suggest doing graduate work and reapplying. Don't just immediately move on and try to apply to dental or vet school. Nothing against dentites, but if you want to be an MD, try to become an MD. I would honestly question your intentions if you are just applying to different professional schools--I would think you are just trying to get 'Dr.' in front of your name!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well put, baker!

I'm a future dental student and occasionally we all get labeled as "med-school rejects" here. Why? Because of people like you. We're talking about most of the rest of your life here - you owe it to yourself to shadow each of the four professionals you've mentioned and decide what you want to do, then do everything you can to get there, even if you have to apply 3 or 4 times! It's worth it.

Oh, and there's no such thing as pre-orthodonture. Orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry (and a highly competetive one at that). To become an orthodontist you go to dental school and get awesome grades and board scores and then a couple years of ortho specialty training.

USUaggie said:
Well put, baker!

I'm a future dental student and occasionally we all get labeled as "med-school rejects" here. Why? Because of people like you. We're talking about most of the rest of your life here - you owe it to yourself to shadow each of the four professionals you've mentioned and decide what you want to do, then do everything you can to get there, even if you have to apply 3 or 4 times! It's worth it.

Oh, and there's no such thing as pre-orthodonture. Orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry (and a highly competetive one at that). To become an orthodontist you go to dental school and get awesome grades and board scores and then a couple years of ortho specialty training.

Yeah, I was a pre-heartology major in college. Now I'm in school to become a heartologist.

tijames said:
just wondering what one does if they do premed but don't get into med school. Is it common to apply the following year to orthodonture/dental schools after med school refusals? Also, what is the difference(coursewise) between premed, predental, preorthodonture, and prevet?

They apply to work as CNA's at a nursing home :rolleyes:

I'm definetly gonna go full strength towards med school, I was just curious what one does if they don't get in to med school repeatedly. Whats special masters and postbeacculate?

tijames said:
Whats special masters and postbeacculate?

a way to boost a bad undergrad gpa.

Vet school has more pre-reqs than med school (in addition to being harder to get into). Plus you need hundreds of hours of animal experience, plus clinical experience.

Vet school's harder to get into than Med-school? How so? Higher average GPAs or just a lot more requirements? I would hope the guy working on my heart has to do a little more to get in than the guy working on my turtle's heart, but that's just me.

USUaggie said:
Vet school's harder to get into than Med-school? How so? Higher average GPAs or just a lot more requirements? I would hope the guy working on my heart has to do a little more to get in than the guy working on my turtle's heart, but that's just me.

I imagine it has something to do with the fact that where physicians have to master the human anatomy, vets have to learn the anatomy and physiology of cats, dogs, turtles, snakes, lizards, monkeys, horses, etc etc etc.

USUaggie said:

Avg vet school matriculant GPA is about the same as for med school (just over 3.5). However, there are only 28 accredited US vet schools and something like 125 accredited US allopathic schools. Also, most vet schools require more Bio classes. No MCAT for vet school though :)

ursulamajor said:
Avg vet school matriculant GPA is about the same as for med school (just over 3.5). However, there are only 28 accredited US vet schools and something like 125 accredited US allopathic schools. Also, most vet schools require more Bio classes. No MCAT for vet school though :)

I have a lot of admiration for vet docs. Those people are truly dedicated. Equal or tougher requirements as human med, and they make half the money if they are lucky. That is true dedication to a profession there.

ursulamajor said:

Don't most of them require the MCAT, or at least the GRE? I know MSU does.

medic170 said:
Don't most of them require the MCAT, or at least the GRE? I know MSU does.

GRE is standard. A few will accept MCAT in its place (Cornell and MSU, I know for sure).

<---New (sorry if the question is lame)

What are other options if you don't get accepted?

tijames said:

Another good reason to major in something besides pre-med. Maybe major in something that would make a good 2nd option. A buddy of mine had a Liberal Studies major and he got in.

JPINFV said:

What are your priorities? If you want to help sick people, try a DO school. If you want to work in a hospital, be a nurse. If you want to operate on anything, try vet school. If you want to fix teeth and be your own boss, come to D-school with me. If you want lots of money, go into business. If you want to help people, go into business and get rich and do good things with your money. The options are endless, you've just got to ask yourself why you wanted to do medicine and find the back up plan that matches your reasons.

Oh, and I'm also a lib. arts major. It's fun, I'd recommend it.

JPINFV said:

I am confused by your question. I mean, your options would be to do anything else from astrophysics to pizza delivery.

JPINFV said:

Most people that I know that didn't get into medical school on their first try did something medical-related before reapplying. You could go to graduate school and get a master's degree, volunteer at a hospital, work in a hospital or medical office, do research (which is always a safe bet), etc. This tells the admissions committees the second time around that you are serious about going to medical school and becoming a doctor, and that this is truly what you want to do with your life. You are even at an advantage, because you have been doing medical-related work and still enjoy it. You can enter medical school confident that you have chosen the right career path. But, as I said before, the differences between medicine, dentistry, veterinarian medicine are pretty substantial. Don't flip-flop, but rather work toward one goal. If it is truly what you want, it will happen for you. Just keep working and improving your application!!!