alternative medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiffany

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Iam new to this forum. I need your help

Iam pre-med student and want to become an alternative doctor such as chiropratic. What do your guys think?

thanks
Tiff.

Tif

Members don't see this ad.

Tiffany, try posting to everyone first, and see what you get with such a general question.

Some people are really biased, and will play with you a little bit about your request. However in the long run you will get really valuable information.
I wouldn't say chiropractic is the best way to go for alternative medicine.
Read around on the posts here, and see which description of medicine fits your personality.

Hope this helps,

Toran

I'm not the biggest fan of alternative medicine, since I think a lot of it is scientifically baseless. The closest to alternative medicine I can think of is osteopathic medicine, but even this has become more mainstream as of late.

If you really want to become a chiropractor, go for it. It's not a horrible profession, but one that currently has an image problem. There are plenty of alternatives to the MD and DO: you can become a naturopathic physician, ND, chiropractor, DC, oriental medical doctor, OMD, acupuncturist, LicAc, etc.

Investing time and money into graduate study is a serious undertaking for anyone. Be sure to research your chosen profession thoroughly to make sure that it's what you want. The situation you wanna avoid is being $100,000 in debt and having an ND that you didn't wnat in the first place.
smile.gif

------------------
Tim Wu.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not a new or unique question, but what exactly does 'alternative medicine' include? By the sound of 'alternative medicine', it seems like it includes any healing treatment that is an "alternative" to the more common healing treatments. But then acupuncture and chiropracters are relataively common, so could they still be considered alternative medicine? And what category does OMM lie? Perhaps alternative medicine implies any form of treatment that can't or hasn't been proven in a double blind study. Also, there seems to be more of a favorable response from the public regarding, say, acupuncture than compared to, say, crystal healing. Yet I hear people often speak of them both as alternative treatments.

The term alternative was used initially to indicate that the treatment was not the standard you word receive from a medical doctor. These days, that term is a bit outdated, because many physicians include some "alternative medicine" techniques in their practice. That is why many people now refer to these treatments as "Complementary Medicine."

Here at UC, we have a Complementary medicine club that has monthly speakers during lunch. I've heard several of these, and found them to be very interesting. One physician in particular, has been trained in acupuncture, massage, herbal therapy, some sort of point injecting thing, as well as Cranial-sacral techniques(?). That's probably why she's the head of the club! Anyway, during the last meeting she told us that she goes to seminars intended to teach these techniques to physicians. She then reads up on them independently, and determines for herself whether she thinks the treatment is valid, helpful, dangerous, etc. If she decides it can possibly help her Pts, she uses it.

I don't know if I will get into those sorts of complementary techniques, but I belive that as physicians its important for us to know about them, because many of our Pts WILL use them. Especially herbals. And if we know nothing about them, then we are missing a piece of the Pts medical "puzzle."

cranial-sacral technique? what's that? cranial is cranial nerves (11 cranial nerves, i believe), sacral=sacrum, Nerves and spine are combined as a technique? strange!, wonder what kind of technic is that?

Tiff

Tiff,

Cranial-sacral therapy has NOTHING to do with cranial nerves (of which there are 12, incidentally). Do a search for it on your favorite search engine -- you'll come up with tons of hits with information.

woops...12, miscount sorry!(i said 11 just because i miscount-if i can say 11 cranial nerves which mean I already know something about it-no need to search-waste time!)

what kind of therapy is that? i am curious!
If that Therapy has nothing to do with cranial nerves why came up with the name cranial-sacral? Please explain, i never know this therapy before..thanks

Tiff

I don't know silver-eyess MEAT. I just found out this forum 2 weeks ago while searching for schools. Don't make mistake between me and silver-eyess because i have no idea who silver-eyess was.

Tiff.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Tiffany:
woops...12, miscount sorry!(i said 11 just because i miscount-if i can say 11 cranial nerves which mean I already know something about it-no need to search-waste time!)

what kind of therapy is that? i am curious!
If that Therapy has nothing to do with cranial nerves why came up with the name cranial-sacral? Please explain, i never know this therapy before..thanks

Tiff

Tiff

Cranial simply refers to the head. It does not specifically refer to the nerves which eminate from any of the cranial foramen and can therefore, be used to describe a number of different things; ie, craniofacial - referring to the skull and facial bones and not related to cranial nerves at all.

Likewise, sacral referring to the sacrum. While there is a sacral nerve plexus, not all references to sacral are referring to this.

You can find much information on cranial-sacral therapy by doing a search as has been previously suggested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kim, i don't think i need to know about your anatomy.

I just want to learn about that cranial-sacral therapy and what's that therapy have to do with cranial and sacral parts.

Again, i only want to learn about that strange therapy. how does it apply to cranial and sacral part of the body? If it comes from cranial and sacral term, it must have something to do with them.

Tiff.
ps: don't try to pull my legs kim
smile.gif

Kim,

so mean there's no cranial nerves at all? sound interesting
smile.gif

nerves are innervated the skin and muscles
arteries supply blood to all over the body.

I think kim should go back to take Gross Anatomy 2 ( i believe)
smile.gif

Tiff.

Where's Lou "The Silver_Slayer" Kary when you need him? Yes, I know Tiff, you don't understand.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
I know what type of sacral therapy I'd love to give you.
biggrin.gif
Cranial-Sacral Therapy: Attempting to pull Tiff's cranium out of her sacrum.

SEEKING REGENERATION OF CRANIAL NERVES FOR TIFF -- MEAT, M.D.

Kim, i don't think i need to know about your anatomy.

I just want to learn about that cranial-sacral therapy and what's that therapy have to do with cranial and sacral parts.

Again, i only want to learn about that strange therapy. how does it apply to cranial and sacral part of the body? If it comes from cranial and sacral term, it must have something to do with them.

Tiff.
ps: don't try to pull my legs kim
smile.gif

I have no idea what you are talking about Tiff.

My post had nothing to do with my anatomy only simply defining common medical terms for you.

You are right - I'm sure the therapy does have something to do with cranial and sacral areas of the body, hence the name.

I realize you want to know about it. But as we've said before, we know very little about it so are suggesting that you can find plenty of information on the internet which can educate you much more about this therapy than we can.

No pulling of legs here...EXCEPT the ones YOU are pulling my friend.

Kim,

so mean there's no cranial nerves at all? sound interesting
smile.gif

nerves are innervated the skin and muscles
arteries supply blood to all over the body.

I think kim should go back to take Gross Anatomy 2 ( i believe)
smile.gif

Tiff.

You are obviously confused Tiff. On the off chance that your posts are genuine I shall respond. However, I personally am starting to believe that you are just trolling.

I NEVER said there were no cranial nerves. Quite the contrary. What I said was (NOW listen carefully):

Simply using the term "cranial" does not mean cranial nerves are involved, as you keep suggesting.

Cranial refers to the SKULL, the "case" for the brain and its nerves, if you will.

If I refer to a patient as having a cranial fracture (ie, skull fracture) this onlr refers to the bones - it has NOTHING to do with cranial nerves. Get it?

If I refer to a cranial nerve lesion, then it DOES have something to do with Nerves. Get it?

Frankly this is irritating the heck out of me and I shan't respond anymore - it is plain to see that either:

1) you are a troll looking for trouble
or
2) you refuse to see that you are wrong and accept the advice and information as it is given. Someday the depth of your ignorance and arrogance will hopefully become readily apparent to you (as it is to everyone else here). I am sorry for the insults, but I've really had enough of this kind of posting.

It is obvious here who is the one who needs to go back to Gross Anatomy. And it ain't me.

Take a deep breath, kimberlicox, and just ignore it. As tempting as this is, let's take the high road.

Your sister,
Al

My gosh. Read this, for Tim's sake. I got this off http://www.craniosacraltherapy.org/.

What is Craniosacral Therapy?

Craniosacral Therapy is a subtle and profound healing form which assists the bodily intelligence (the body's knowing) on its journey back to health.

The cerebrospinal fluid is in tide-like motion. Craniosacral therapists assist in facilitating change in areas of restriction, areas where the tide-like motion is limited, confined, immobilized.

This restriction of movement corresponds to a lack of the capacity of the life force to express its self-healing. This absence of health may result in disease and/or a sense of something amiss.
The work between therapist and client is confidential and paced at the clients level. In other words, therapists meet the client where they are. It is a non-directive, non-invasive approach - essentially the art of listening and enabling the body to heal itself.

Our physical bodies hold the legacy of our life experience. A craniosacral therapist facilitates the resolution of partially told stories. The therapist provides a window for the client to witness physical, emotional, psychological and or spiritual restrictions, the resolution of which, will enhance the individual's overall vitality and well being.

------------------
Tim Wu.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by alshepard:
Take a deep breath, kimberlicox, and just ignore it. As tempting as this is, let's take the high road.

Your sister,
Al

You're right - I lost it. I'm sorry to everyone and to Tiffany for what I've written above, at least the anger behind it. I'll try not let it happen again. Can I edit it to take out the mean parts or shall I leave it as it? Poll answers will determine my actions.

That doesn't usually happen to me; guess I"m just over medicated and under fed on Diet Pepsi's and carrot sticks (trying to lose some weight before residency). Can someone pass me the Ho-Hos please?!
wink.gif

I'll be alright.

[This message has been edited by kimberlicox (edited April 07, 2001).]

Don't worry kimberli, it happens to the best of us. I wigged out yesterday when I believed I was lumped in under the term "PC Nazi." Probably shouldn't read the boards on an empty stomach.
wink.gif

Lilycat, maybe you should make a stop at Roth's Dining Hall for some free food.
wink.gif
I know someone who can let you into the House.
Stay hungry! The food will taste better tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
Stinky ? Copyright 2001 Stinky Tofu & Co, Inc.

Kimberli, I don't think you were at all inapproprate. I was just trying to be supportive...(and maybe any hint of admonition was as much for me as it was for you.) You don't need to edit anything.

Gezz,kim, why didn't you tell me at begining that you don't know much about cranial-sacral therapy? instead of saying that you started showing off your knowledge which had nonsens to me.

My question was "what's cranial-sacral therapy has to do with cranial and sacral part? (which already answered by turtleboard)
because i understand that all medical terminology all related to each other for instance: brachial plexus-which innervate the upper extremity such as arm (brachial) and pectoral parts.

Anyway, i guess we miss understood each other. If you really want to know more about anatomy look for the book call atlas anatomy by Frank Netter, MD.
smile.gif
-JUST A SUGGESTION DON'T GET MAD-if you don't know you can always learn, rite ?

thanks turtleboard-you had answered my question..thanks a lot

Tiff.

...If you really want to know more about anatomy look for the book call atlas anatomy by Frank Netter, MD.
smile.gif
-JUST A SUGGESTION DON'T GET MAD-if you don't know you can always learn, rite ?
Tiff.

Aaaaa....I'm gonna LOSE it again!!!

Hey Kim
relaaax
are you really going to listen to somebody who purposely mispells things (check out her "technique" in one line and "technic" in another) in order to seem more "innocent" than she actually is?
Breathe in
Breathe out
smile.gif

PS: You were totally right in what you said earlier...don't listen to her now....she's trying to get to you.

[This message has been edited by caffeinegirl (edited April 07, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by caffeinegirl:
Hey Kim
relaaax
are you really going to listen to somebody who purposely mispells things (check out her "technique" in one line and "technic" in another) in order to seem more "innocent" than she actually is?
Breathe in
Breathe out
smile.gif

PS: You were totally right in what you said earlier...don't listen to her now....she's trying to get to you.

[This message has been edited by caffeinegirl (edited April 07, 2001).]

Relax. Funny coming from one so caffeinated as yourself!
wink.gif

I know, I know. I actually think the mere thought of losing it makes me madder.

Not sure why...normally I am mild mannered and don't let things bother me, including such obvious trolling.

Maybe its because I ordinarily don't get singled out for such behavior on this forum. I've been babied by you guys. Now I've gone soft, plush about the middle with weak knees and a lily-liver (its right there, on page 301 in Netter).

In with the good air, out with the bad. Maybe some cranial-sacral therapy will help me. Good air in the top, bad air out the...well, ya know!
wink.gif

D... if you found out about this site while surfing for schools, how hard can it be for you to look up some of your own info on the web? Yeesh! Rather than ripping people apart, how about some autonomy and doing some work for yourself?

A large pat on the back to you, Ms. Cox.

Adrian--
Why did you delete my post?

------------------
"No one can bring you peace but yourself"
-Thoreau

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MEAT:
Where's Lou "The Silver_Slayer" Kary when you need him? Yes, I know Tiff, you don't understand.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
I know what type of sacral therapy I'd love to give you.
biggrin.gif
Cranial-Sacral Therapy: Attempting to pull Tiff's cranium out of her sacrum.

SEEKING REGENERATION OF CRANIAL NERVES FOR TIFF -- MEAT, M.D.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by caffeinegirl:
Where did my kick in the sacrum post go? I thought long and hard for it and now MEAT is using it in the other thread!

Such a waste of craneal energy

Hey...... I kicked her in the sacrum first!!! Wait your turn.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
Everyone is a NorCal Wannabe.
biggrin.gif
Good luck at UCSF.
smile.gif

SEEKING NATIVE CALIFORNIA MEAT

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by EricCSU:
Adrian--
Why did you delete my post?

The bulletin board was recently upgraded by the website administrator... I think that some posts may have been lost during the upgrade...

Sorry about that.

------------------
Adrian Zai
Scutwork.com

[This message has been edited by SW-Adrian (edited April 11, 2001).]

Not a problem.

Ahem, that's DOCTOR Cox to you, Djanaba.
wink.gif

------------------
Tim Wu.

Well, technically 12 cranial nerves, if you count the spinal accessory nerve.

But, is it REALLY a CRANIAL nerve?

Anatomists and Surgeons: I envoke your powers to help settle this issue.