Alternative postgraduation/preresidency plans. Bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk2005

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All.
I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone who has taken one or more years "off" between med school and beginning a residency. For example doing research, volunteer public health type work, or having a child. Would program directors look at you suspiciously? I imagine it would depend on speciality but does anyone have any opinions in general?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who just matched at a great IM program after taking a year off to go work in a clinic in india. he had to go through the whole application/interview process while abroad though... makes it a little hard to go far away for a long time...

I actually am seriously considering taking a year off to do some kind of clinical research and/or international health work (if I can afford it) b/c I think it would improve my residency app.. I'm applying in IM, but am not the best applicant.. I just want to go to a program where there are decent facilities and the residents speak fluent English. any opinions on whether or not the year off would help me to attain this goal?