1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Alternatives to Kaplan tutors/online tests?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by movemntofja, Jan 6, 2009.

1. movemntofja

Pre-Medical
    I need to retake the MCAT and am pretty sure the best way for me to approach it is with a general tutor and lots of practice tests. I've already taken most of the online tests offered by AAMC in the past and the only unlimited source of exams and questions I know of being offered is by Kaplan. However, I really dont want to have to pay $2700 for a tutor and access to tests. Anyone know of any other alternatives??

#1 movemntofja, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Vendor 10+ Year Member

Gold Standard and Berkeley Review sell access to on-line exams. Between the two of them, there are 17 CBTs and it will cost you $350. You might be able to hire a private tutor through SDN, depending on yoru area.

If you were near Vihsidhas (sorry for butchering the spelling), you'd get a tutor far better than anything Kaplan has to offer and likely pay a lot less than $125 and hour (or whatever it works out to be).

At UCLA I know there are plenty of excellent tutors. There are flyers all around campus for them.

3. movemntofja

Pre-Medical

Thanks a lot of the advice! I noticed that the Gold Standard tests are GS1-GS10 - dyou know what this means? Is there any way of knowing whether these tests and those being offered by Berkeley Review are the same or different than the ones being offered by AAMC?

4. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    GS1-GS10 stands for GS CBT #1, GS CBT #2, etc. These tests are made by Gold Standard. Thus, they different from those made by BR and the AAMC.