Alternatives to Pharmacy, Back up plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shingo123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied only to the university of Pittsburgh, with a 3.89 GPA, 77 PCAT, from the local Community college.

I haven't heard from them yet, and I know they have already done most if not all of the interviews, and I have not received an interview request.

I am starting to think I am not going to get accepted.

Now I am trying to find a major that I can start working on as a backup plan. With the courses i have, what other options are there?

I will be transferring to Pitt regardless of my acceptance into pharm school.

Any suggestions for majors?

As of right now, I am not planning on reapplying to Pitt pharmacy if I don't get accepted, whats the point? I won't be able to improve my application by that much, and I don't feel like wasting time.

Last question: Are there many cases of people getting accepted without an interview?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hmm...time is precious, but time is required to improve your application---don't make it feel like a waste of time, rather make it feel like an investment of time...

try transferring to a university to get an undergraduate degree

hmm...time is precious, but time is required to improve your application---don't make it feel like a waste of time, rather make it feel like an investment of time...

try transferring to a university to get an undergraduate degree
Definitely get your undergrad degree, that will make your app look better.
Whats good about pharm school is that you can major in whatever you want as long as you got the pre-reqs down, but i mean that is time consuming...a science major would be ideal to major in because you will knock out pharmacy pre-reqs and major classes at the same time! and you can always do more volunteering and/or grab some pharmacy experience!
hospitals love free help! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I applied only to the university of Pittsburgh, with a 3.89 GPA, 77 PCAT, from the local Community college.

I haven't heard from them yet, and I know they have already done most if not all of the interviews, and I have not received an interview request.

Now I am trying to find a major that I can start working on as a backup plan. With the courses i have, what other options are there?

As of right now, I am not planning on reapplying to Pitt pharmacy if I don't get accepted, whats the point? I won't be able to improve my application by that much, and I don't feel like wasting time.

Last question: Are there many cases of people getting accepted without an interview?

Thanks!

With that give up sort of attitude we may all be better off not having you as a future colleague.

Don't feel like wasting time? So you will just go to Pitt anyways with nothing in mind. Hmmm, thats not a waste of time now is it?

With that give up sort of attitude we may all be better off not having you as a future colleague.

Don't feel like wasting time? So you will just go to Pitt anyways with nothing in mind. Hmmm, thats not a waste of time now is it?

Haha.

I see what you are saying. However, my point is, I don't want to get a bachelors just to apply to pharmacy school. I personally feel that is a waste of time considering many people get into pharmacy school without one.

I worked hard for the last 2 and half years, as all students must, so not getting in will be bothersome.

Does anyone know other majors that people who don't get accepted into pharmacy take?

Its possible that I may try dental school.

God knows best.

Why are you giving up so quickly?
What made you choose pharmacy in the first place?
And lastly, why did you apply to just one school?

Just about everyone I encountered at interviews, my classmates and fellow SDNers have applied to multiple schools, albeit there are a few that only applied to 1 school (search the 1 school, 1 acceptance thread). I know a few on this site as well as in real life who have reapplied at least once and there is a rare instance of someone reapplying three times.
If you choose pharmacy on a whim you should definitely reevaluate. As far as dental school, I'm thinking they are as competitive (if not more competitive) than pharmacy school.

Last edited:

Thanks!

No, they are not going to accept you without interviewing you first. Improve your leadership roles and pharmacy experience. You have the grades so try again if pharmacy is what you want but that does not sound like the case.

Dental school is a possibility but having a bachelors degree when applying to dental school is a bigger factor in admission than in pharmacy right now. Pharmacy is definitely going that way,requiring bachelor's degree, but with all the private schools popping up like pimples, not needed yet. It would take longer to make a competitive dental school application than a pharmacy school application at this point.

Sounds like you don't know what you want to do, make figuring out what career path you want to go down your priority right now.

No, they are not going to accept you without interviewing you first. Improve your leadership roles and pharmacy experience. You have the grades so try again if pharmacy is what you want but that does not sound like the case.

Dental school is a possibility but having a bachelors degree when applying to dental school is a bigger factor in admission than in pharmacy right now. Pharmacy is definitely going that way,requiring bachelor's degree, but with all the private schools popping up like pimples, not needed yet. It would take longer to make a competitive dental school application than a pharmacy school application at this point.

Sounds like you don't know what you want to do, make figuring out what career path you want to go down your priority right now.

I do want to do Pharmacy. I liked that it only needed a 2 year pre-pharm then 4 more years to finish. On top of that I really do like the field, the chemistry, the drugs etc.

I don't mind taking a bachelors for Dentistry cause that is a requirement. For Pharmacy it just bugs to think that it is not required and I will probably never directly use the degree. So I will spend 8 years working torwards Pharmacy, when I could have been done with medical school had I wanted to.

This still may be rather pessimistic or whatever you wish to call it.

As for not getting accepted without an interview, that means I am probably going to recieve a rejection letter soon. :oops:

I do want to do Pharmacy. I liked that it only needed a 2 year pre-pharm then 4 more years to finish. On top of that I really do like the field, the chemistry, the drugs etc.

I don't mind taking a bachelors for Dentistry cause that is a requirement. For Pharmacy it just bugs to think that it is not required and I will probably never directly use the degree. So I will spend 8 years working torwards Pharmacy, when I could have been done with medical school had I wanted to.

This still may be rather pessimistic or whatever you wish to call it.

As for not getting accepted without an interview, that means I am probably going to recieve a rejection letter soon. :oops:

Do you have any extracurricular activity? Pharmacy experience? And is that the only school you plan on going to? Very few people would take the chance of applying to one school and get accepted. If pharmacy is what you really want to do, then whether it's near home or far away, i don't think it would matter that much. That's why people apply everywhere and if they get accepted, then they would have options of staying closer to home or far away.

For me, it just seems like what the other posts have said, you are not sure whether to do Pharmacy or Dentistry because you might have to get a bachelor. It's good to have a backup plan. If you don't get into Pharmacy school, this year, then still go to school, get involve in extracurricular activities, get some pharmacy experience if you don't have any, get a tech license. At least work toward a bachelor and apply again next year. Better than wasting a year not doing anything in my opinion.

Hope that helps. :)

i applied to pitt the first year i applied...i got a rejection e-mail saying they take about 50 students out of the over 1000 applications they receive, you should try other schools, pitt is not an easy school to get into, and your stats are good enough for other schools for sure.

Do you have any extracurricular activity? Pharmacy experience? And is that the only school you plan on going to? Very few people would take the chance of applying to one school and get accepted. If pharmacy is what you really want to do, then whether it's near home or far away, i don't think it would matter that much. That's why people apply everywhere and if they get accepted, then they would have options of staying closer to home or far away.

For me, it just seems like what the other posts have said, you are not sure whether to do Pharmacy or Dentistry because you might have to get a bachelor. It's good to have a backup plan. If you don't get into Pharmacy school, this year, then still go to school, get involve in extracurricular activities, get some pharmacy experience if you don't have any, get a tech license. At least work toward a bachelor and apply again next year. Better than wasting a year not doing anything in my opinion.

Hope that helps. :)

I only applied to Pitt due to it being local. My family would prefer for me to stay close, and for me I would not like to go far away.

I don't have much in the ways of extracurricular activities or pharmacy experience.

I will definitely go to school, and maybe apply for Pitt pharmacy again. Now I am looking at what major should I be working towards, whether I wish to reapply for Pitt Pharmacy in the next year or not.

If I don't get accepted a second time, what will I do with a bachelors in biology or chemistry?

I am thinking about working towards some type of engineering degree, what do you guys think about that?

Btw, I didn't meant to come off as overly negative. I am a little dejected but thats all.

Thanks for all the help.

It doesn't really matter what you get a bachelors in- I have a BA in chemistry and I have worked in both purchasing and finance. Yes, you don't need a bachelors to get into pharm school BUT a bachelors degree is a great thing to have. You can also use this time to get more experience and make sure pharmacy is the thing for you. Nothing would be worse than working your butt off in pharmacy school to find out you hate it.
Keep your chin up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, I didn't meant to come off as overly negative. I am a little dejected but thats all.

Thanks for all the help.

It's ok to feel that way. In fact, it's perfectly normal. It is what you do after that will show how dedicated you are. I understand if you have to stay around the area, because a lot of people I know also feels the same way.

A bachelor is also a great thing to have, it's a must for almost every profession now. You can major in engineering and still apply for Pharmacy school next year if this year doesn't work out. The important thing is that, that is what you want to do.

Think positive, you will succeed if you want it bad enough.

I only applied to Pitt due to it being local. My family would prefer for me to stay close, and for me I would not like to go far away.

I don't have much in the ways of extracurricular activities or pharmacy experience.

I will definitely go to school, and maybe apply for Pitt pharmacy again. Now I am looking at what major should I be working towards, whether I wish to reapply for Pitt Pharmacy in the next year or not.

If I don't get accepted a second time, what will I do with a bachelors in biology or chemistry?

I am thinking about working towards some type of engineering degree, what do you guys think about that?
Why Not try a Bachelors in Health Science, It fills in all pre-req's of pharmacy, and very lineant on other required science electives either Bio, Chem, Phys, whatever (at least in my school). Also it is a good way to see other options within healthcare. You can go on in Pharmacy, Or Medical, Or Dentistry

Why Not try a Bachelors in Health Science, It fills in all pre-req's of pharmacy, and very lineant on other required science electives either Bio, Chem, Phys, whatever (at least in my school). Also it is a good way to see other options within healthcare. You can go on in Pharmacy, Or Medical, Or Dentistry

Thanks for that suggestion, I will look into that!

I just recieved my rejection letter.

Good timing for the suggestions.

I am to late to apply for health sciences, so I will just apply to the school of general studies or whatever.

Not exactly sure how that works though.

Quick question, even if I am not in the pharmacy program can I take some of the courses like A&P 1 and 2 and Biochemistry?

Thanks

Biochem ans Anatomy/physiology classes are usually opent o anyoen who meets the prereq requirements.

Biochem ans Anatomy/physiology classes are usually opent o anyoen who meets the prereq requirements.

Yeah, they are, what I meant to say was, will it count torwards a pharm degree should i get accepted?

Those are required classes for the PharmD at pitt.

If you mean that it would exempt you from taking them while attending pharmacy school, probably NOT. From what I understand most pharmacy schools require you to take the full curriculum, even if you've had the equivalent class before. My brother got accepted to UT. While he was a TA at UT a few years ago he taught some classes that had pharmacy students, and he took some of the same courses as the pharmacy students as well. They've told him he will have to retake them while in the pharmacy program. He actually ended up writing some of the tests for med chem too!!!

If you mean that it would exempt you from taking them while attending pharmacy school, probably NOT. From what I understand most pharmacy schools require you to take the full curriculum, even if you've had the equivalent class before. My brother got accepted to UT. While he was a TA at UT a few years ago he taught some classes that had pharmacy students, and he took some of the same courses as the pharmacy students as well. They've told him he will have to retake them while in the pharmacy program. He actually ended up writing some of the tests for med chem too!!!

Yeah, thats what I meant. Thanks.

Turns out I am too late to apply to most of the health science majors that I would actually like.

I wanted to apply to Rehab Science but the deadline was today and they need a rec-letter and what not to be mailed. They have sports science on a rolling admission, but I am not interested in that in the slightest.

As of right now I am just waiting to talk to a counselor, I have applied to the school of general studies.

My back-up plan was to apply for PhD programs since I have an interest in research.

Hi Shingo,

My mindset was just like yours last summer. This was my plan:
I'm going to go to community college for 2 years and apply to pharmacy school.
If I don't make it, I will transfer to a university and apply to a medical school after my BS.

Just like you, I don't think it's worth wasting four years of tuition as well as TIME just to apply to pharmacy school. That's not to say that I'm not dedicated to pharmacy. I've been working in a outpatient hospital pharmacy for 3 years; I have a ton of extra curricular activities. I just don't want to HAVE to complete my BS is if pharmacy school doesn't MAKE ME.

Here's my situation now...I will finish up my classes and apply to 12 school of pharmacies this fall for admission in 2010. I have given up medicine because I realized that I want to start a family and will not be able to if I continue medical education until I'm 30+. Plus, I want to have a normal 9-5 life without being on call 24/7. If I don't make it to any pharmacy schools this year, I will NOT transfer to a 4 year university but will rather find ways to buff up my grades/EC (even though my grades are already high) and find a job to PAY for my future loans.

So Good luck! I advise you to apply to MANY schools if you're that interested in pharmacy. I am confident that both you and I will make it this time around.

I am glad to hear someone completely understands what I mean about a bachelors.

I will probably apply at least 1 more time for Pharmacy, possibly go for dental, not sure.

I am going to talk to a counselor to get some ideas.

Thanks for the comments people!

I am going to post the rejection letter, hehe.

Thank you for your interest and application to the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission to our PharmD program for the fall 2009 semester. Applications to our school have increased dramatically in the last few years and consequently competition for the admission has become intense. This year we received over 800 applications for 58 available open admission seats. The remaining 50 positions in a class of 108 were previously reserved for our conditionally admitted students enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh.

The application process is a formidable undertaking by the Admissions Committee considering the number of applications and the limited number of spaces. The committee devotes an enormous amount of time to carefully evaluate the application and employs a holistic approach to rank candidates whose academic record demonstrates the ability to succeed in the program. Factors evaluated in the decision-making process include overall academic history, consistency of the academic performance, PCAT scores and performance in the required mathematics and science courses. Evidence that the applicant functions well in the community, is involved in extracurricular activities, possesses excellent communications skill, demonstrates leadership, and is motivated to pursue a career as a pharmacist are also important components of the evaluation.

We truly regret that we are unable to admit all who are interested in a pharmacy career. On behalf of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, the Admissions Committee, and myself, I want to wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Borrelli_Sig1.jpg

People still think go to pharmacy to save time than go to medical because medical school requires B.S. That's why people still think pharmacists like lower level than doctors even though these are two different fields. I love pharmacy and wanna be a pharmacist regardless any things; even a medical school accepts me, I still say No. Come on guys. Don't think pharmacy as a easy way to back up for medical.

People still think go to pharmacy to save time than go to medical because medical school requires B.S. That's why people still think pharmacists like lower level than doctors even though these are two different fields. I love pharmacy and wanna be a pharmacist regardless any things; even a medical school accepts me, I still say No. Come on guys. Don't think pharmacy as a easy way to back up for medical.

You are right about that. However, a doctor is always going to be a higher prestige career.

More years, more money, etc.

Time was only a small reason I chose Pharmacy. I really like the pharmaceutical field much better than the medical field. I don't feel like devoting that much of my life to my school and then that much more to my work.

PharmD is a great field with many great programs around the nation, I guess I will certainly have to try to apply one more time.

Pharmaceutical science? I will look into that as well, thanks!

Thanks!

First, You cant get into the school without being interviewed. Second, you have a good GPA and Pretty good PCAT, why did you only apply to ONE SCHOOL!!! There are a plethora of Pharmacy Schools in PA! Temple, Thomas Jefferson, LECOM, USP, just to name a few! If you really want to do pharmacy i would say reapply next cycle and work in a pharmacy over the summer and do some volunteer work, you will SURELY get into a school in PA, if you dont want to leave PA. I think Pharmacy is great and should not change your major because of getting rejected to the one and only school you applied to. If your GPA and PCAT are what you say they are than you should have NO PROBLEM getting in!:)

Outside of CA (where pharmacy seems to be an extremely popular and competitive profession to get into) I can see how pharmacy is perceived as a back-up career to medicine.

In general physicians outnumber us (there are many more allopathic schools than pharm schools and med schools are often associated with highly ranked research universities). The number of years of education and training are much more extensive than that of a pharmacist's. Historically medicine has been viewed as a prestigious profession due to the selectivity of getting into med school, rigorous training involved, and financial rewards.

The general public is largely unaware of what it takes to be a pharmacist. It alarms me how many people have asked me, "So how many years is pharmacy school?" These questions are coming from lawyers and people who have master's and PhD's. They are also unaware how much a pharmacist makes and think all we do is count pills all day. When I try to educate them about the profession they seem really amazed, "You get that much money for doing nothing?" :rolleyes:

Outside of CA (where pharmacy seems to be an extremely popular and competitive profession to get into) I can see how pharmacy is perceived as a back-up career to medicine.

The posters above did not mention pharmacy as a backup to medicine but rather an alternative route. Technically, medicine was actually my backup if I didn't make it to pharmacy school without a BS. In any case, we're all here to make it to Pharmacy school so let's all lighten up and get in. Good luck all.

The posters above did not mention pharmacy as a backup to medicine but rather an alternative route. Technically, medicine was actually my backup if I didn't make it to pharmacy school without a BS. In any case, we're all here to make it to Pharmacy school so let's all lighten up and get in. Good luck all.

:confused: The title of the post says "back up plans" which I believe the OP used synonymously with alternative careers. The post I directly replied to suggests not to think of pharmacy as a "back up to medical". I was just pointing out the reasons why pharmacy can be perceived in a certain light and it does not necessarily mean I believe one profession is superior over the other. ;)

you know what? I got into pharm school after 3 years of undergrad. I'm actually a little bit sad that I won't be getting my bachelors since it would just be one more year. I worked hard for 3 years and wont be getting an official degree until at least another 4 years. Don't feel bad, bachelors can be a good thing :)

Pharmacy school is getting more competitive. More and more people who are entering have degrees. If it is something you want badly enough, you will do whatever it takes, waiting or degree or both, to get it. If you don't want it that badly, then you won't. I would recommend working or volunteering prn at a pharmacy for experience in the meantime if not already. They will ask why pharmacy during interviews and there is no better way to back that up than w/ experience.

Shingo,

I know I am late to this party, and I see you already got your rejection letter (and posted it on here, a move requiring much applause).

I think you should have been prepared to be rejected, only because, despite your excellent academic stats, you did not have any pharmacy experience listed, either in a paid position or in a volunteer capacity.

Why do Pharmacy schools care about that SO much? Simply because, if there are 2,000 applicants for 104 seats (Like at UoP TJL), why would they want to give a seat to someone with sterling academics who ends up hating pharmacy in their second year? Along the same lines as shadowing a physician to be a strong candidate for med school, you must at least get your feet wet in a pharmacy to be competitive for pharmacy school.

Maybe the game is different in Pittsburgh or elsewhere, but in California I am shocked to hear when people get admitted to pharmacy schools with little to zero experience in a pharmacy and have nothing else "going for them" (e.g., conditional acceptance, URM).

That said, use this year to better your ECs. Your GPA is excellent. Why not take the PTCE exam and work as a CphT for a year?

Here's my two cents:

Apply to Pitt again next year. Do they have an early decision option? I would do that. If you don't get in there (and you probably won't), apply to a select few others. You don't have to spend this year working on a bachelor's degree. If you're pretty certain pharmacy is what you want to do, I would recommend you not do that. Instead, get a job as a pharm tech or volunteer in a pharmacy/hosptial setting, or whatever, to get pharmacy experience. This will also help you make sure that pharmacy is the right career for you. Better to know that now than during your P3 year!

If you can fit in some upper-level science courses around your pharmacy experience (at CC, or night classes at the local college or whatever), take some A&P and Biochem. If you don't get in on the second try (hopefully you can raise that PCAT score a bit, too), then maybe you need to look at some bachelor's degree programs, but it's too early to punt on pharmacy like that.

Husson strengths: www.husson.edu/pharmacy Take a look!
·. .Small class size (65) at small private university (2500)
·. .A nationally renowned "pharmacy" education faculty
·. .Competitive pricing for a private university ($25,380 for 2009-2010)
·. .Teaching intensive not research intensive university
·. .Integrative pharmacy education model
·. .Smaller didactic credit load (15-16 credits)
·. .More time/credits spent in experiential (introductory, advanced and longitudinal) learning – we exceed the minimum requirements to meet accreditation standards
·. .Utilize an inter-disciplinary model where our students work with nursing students in an experiential setting

If you want to stay near Pittsburgh, you may also want to consider applying to West Virginia University. I know it's just an hour from Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Shingo123, don't give up!

I was in the same situation back in 2006. I applied to Pitt and only Pitt - got the same ugly rejection letter (it gave me flashbacks reading yours). I had about the same stats as you (although my gpa is only a 3.5). I got hired at a Rite Aid soon after my rejection. I took a couple of classes - Physics and A&P II while I worked two jobs and aced both classes.

I reapplied for the c/o 2013 and got an interview...rocked it out and got accepted. I showed them that I was determined to get in - that I was not going to take "no" for an answer. I did apply to 6 schools this time and managed to get accepted to 3 of them (I even turned down an interview at Temple).

I say go for it. Volunteer or land a job doing something pharmacy related and you should be posting your ACCEPTANCE letter next year on SDN :)

Being a pharmaceutial sales rep would be just as nice as being a pharmacist. Except with no loans. Good back up plan. ;)

Except the whole part about selling your soul to Pfizer, Merck, CypressLabs and the rest of those goons.

Thats true...however retail pharmacists also sell their soul to Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart, etc...

If only its easier to open your own pharmacy...I think that would be the best job...(assuming I have the money to open up one! :laugh:)

Thats true...however retail pharmacists also sell their soul to Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart, etc...

If only its easier to open your own pharmacy...I think that would be the best job...(assuming I have the money to open up one! :laugh:)

I don't agree that working for a retail chain is a completely soul-selling venture. Why? Well, you're still providing a service to citizens, and without your name on a piece of paper on the wall, the pill room wouldn't open.

Pharm. sales reps are scum who provide a service to no one. They are Pharmacy's version of ambulance chasing PI attorneys.