Alternatives to residency?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Obob, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Obob

Obob New Member

As I approach the end of medical school, I find myself very reluctant to start a residency program. I have been told that a good job market exists for M.D.s who choose not to pursue a residency (obviously not in direct patient care) in consultant or liason type positions. Can anyone provide me with additional information about this? Thanks.

Bob
    [email protected]

2. Dr Sardonicus

Dr Sardonicus Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't have first hand experience, but there are if you look hard enough.

Before medical school I worked at an investment bank on Wall Street. Our biotechnology analyst was an MD. I imagine he was making significantly more money than he could have dreamed of practicing medicine.

3. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't get me wrong, I want you to do what is best for you...but why did you enter the field of medicine in the first place?? Do you hesitate to enter residency because you feel ill prepared or have you lost all desire? This must be a tough time for you.
    As far as a "biotech" analyst, well, I wonder how much he actually made and how many are actually needed. Personally, I don't think $$ should drive ones goals in medicine.

4. nyskindr

nyskindr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There are some positions in health care administration or industry which may be available to individuals who have only an MD degree however other skills are needed,and may require additional degrees such as MPH or a Phd for research.
    It will be a big negative for you to look for a job and have no training beyond the basic 4 years of med school.You will not even have a license.If an intense residency experience is not for you look into a residency in Preventative Medicine,Occupational Med,Public Health or a low key program in Psychiatry these can be very benign progrmas and will give you marketable skills.

5. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

6. bear

bear Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi obob--

I'm looking at alternatives, too. I really wanted to practice clinical medicine, but the brutality of the training just doesn't seem worth it anymore. I feel really disappointed, but I'm convinced there will be rewarding things to do with this degree in science journalism, liason work with policymakers, teaching...Also, I'm sure there are med schools that have resources for this (although mine doesn't). What areas are you interested in?

7. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher Señor Member
    10+ Year Member

I worked for a pharmaceutical company in a clinical research division. Here physicians participated in the research design and administration process, for the purpose of evaluating new medications in phase III and IV trials.
    For example, they would design research to evaluate saftey/efficacy of a new med, and then supervise as this research was carried out at 10-20 locations around the US. Imagine, there were 500 patients enrolled in YOUR prospective, double-blind, placebo controlled, etc., study that was funded to the tune of MILLIONS of dollars. And you might have 2-3 of these protocols running at the same time. This was like prescribing a med to 1000 people at once, and looking for results.
    Pretty powerful stuff; some travel involved as you go to investigators meetings and to conferences to present your data.
    As a physician, you are very high up in the food chain at a pharmaceutical company. Of course, you are working for a pharmaceutical company, which has its own stigma of questionable credibility.

Just a different perspective.

Chris_Topher

8. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

9. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher Señor Member
    10+ Year Member

An on-topic addendum to my original post, I should say that most docs employed by this pharmaceutical company were residency trained, with only a few exceptions.

To reply to Annette, yes, I am going to practice medicine without drugs.

Now, back to reality, that was quite a leap from my statement that working for a pharmaceutical company carried a certain stigma.

Pharmaceutical companies spend invest VERY large amounts of money for initial saftey and efficacy trials required for drug approved by the FDA, and more still for saftey surveillance, marketing and new indications. Research is designed to obtain specific information, and as such takes on an inherant bias. I am sure that it is not news to you that data presented to the practicing physician by pharmaceutical companies should be interperted with that in mind.

Do you plan to practice medicine believing everything the drug companies tell you with their free pen?

10. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

check <a href="http://www.monster.com" target="_blank">www.monster.com</a> for a list of job that ask for a M.D. degree. This might help point you in the right direction.