alternatives to SMP or 1 year masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i really want to get into medical school but I need to prove that I can handle a year of hard coursework... Would taking extension classes to retake my low grades be good so I can apply to medical school next year?

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to get into an allopathic school, then take upper level courses and ace them. If your goal is to get into osteopathic schools, then retake the classes than you got a C or lower in.

Allopathic schools will average all your grades, including retakes. Osteopathic schools only use your most recent grade in their calculation. So if you made a C the first time, then a B+, it's the B+ that counts. Likewise, if you made a C the first time, then a C- the second time, it's the C- that counts.

I would just take 20+ science credits in the coming year, and bump up your GPA. Or you can do a combination of retaking a few courses and taking upper level courses. It's up to you. But, I don't recommend doing a masters, as none of those grades will change your GPA. They get added into a seperate GPA number.