Although it's early, anybody not leaning towards primary care???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by titan, Oct 31, 2001.

1. titan

titan Senior Member

Just wondering. I know it's early in the game, but as for me I know that I want to be a DO, not an MD. I really think I will get better/more comprehensive training in DO school. I think OMT is something that all physicians should be trained in. This is why I have chosen DO school. But, I have always been fascinated with surgery and, as of right now, I am leaning away from primary care. I know my mind will change a few 100 times, especially during my 3rd and 4th years, but my preliminary ambition is to not go into primary care. Are any of you thinking the same as me????? If so, what school(s) are you leaning towards? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

HI,

I just wanted to give you my story, which turned out to be different than what everyone says will happen. Before I even got into med school, I wanted to do emergency med. But I too had heard that you will change your mind several times during your rotation years. So every rotation I started with an open mind, wondering if this would catch me, would this be the one that I love, would this sway me away from EM. Yet here I am, in the middle of my 4th year, and I still want to do emer med. Oh, I found specialties that I liked, for example I am in my third surgery rotation and have bounced around the idea of going into general surg, but I really don't think it will happen. I just love emer med too much.

Anyway, I know you wanted to hear from other pre-med and MS-1's, but just wanted to give you another perspective. Sometimes what you want in the beginning stays with you. :)

4. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

Billie, what school are you at?

5. titan

titan Senior Member

Thanks Billie! I definitely appreciate your perspective.