Always in the Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ydtiyupi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people! I was wondering if it would be weird to send an "I'm always in the area" email. I want to let a school know that it would be really easy for me to come interview with very little notice because I live so close and have flexible vacation time. Does that sound strange or too desperate? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

lol that's a good one

Hey people! I was wondering if it would be weird to send an "I'm always in the area" email. I want to let a school know that it would be really easy for me to come interview with very little notice because I live so close and have flexible vacation time. Does that sound strange or too desperate? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Lol, I was wondering if someone would ask this question. I don't think I've ever seen it b/c it would probably seem a little too eager and/or desperate. Instead of saying you're always in the area, I think you're better off sending a letter of interest or letter of intent, basically why you want to attend X medical school so badly if there is a specific reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: I think schools assume you'll drop everything to interview, so the fact you can because you live there probably isn't a selling point. The point of 'in the area' emails is to say that it would be very expensive for you to come back out and interview with them, so if they are ready to make a decision could they consider that and maybe speed it up a little? I know where you're coming from. I've actually wondered how I could pull something like that off for some NY schools I haven't heard from. I wouldn't try it. I agree go for a letter of interest/update if you're really desperate, although this is a controversial subject since it may screw you if you're waitlisted and have nothing else to add. Generally, letters of interest won't make the difference between an interview and rejection, but they just might help push you off a waitlist. Just sit on it I guess. Nice try though! :thumbup::laugh:

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother...it seems like schools (especially the NYC ones) have a pretty consistent pool of "in the areas" to pull from if someone drops out (Almost every interview I've been on there's been someone who was called in at the last minute). In a bind, given the choice between someone who may or may not be willing to come back, and someone who'll always be there....they'll go for the former.

:laugh: I think schools assume you'll drop everything to interview, so the fact you can because you live there probably isn't a selling point.

Precise.

Do it. There is little to lose, and at some schools a notice like that triggers an automatic review anyway.

this sounds wayyyy too desperate. don't do it. please don't do it.

pretty sure admission committees would view your request as an act of desperation. :shifty:

:whistle:

they would then take all the time in the world to call you for an interview because you are available any time and all the time...

I've heard of people who already have an interview at a school in a certain area contacting other schools nearby and letting those schools know they will be in town. I don't think I'd do it myself, but it seems like similar tactics have been tried before.

First of all, for everyone who thinks that this would look "desperate" to medical schools - this isn't dating. It's applying to professional school. I doubt they'd see the OP as desperate - they are much more likely to think "wow, this kid obviously really wants to come here for an interview". Now, if an interview is not forthcoming, is a letter stating that you're always in the area going to help? Probably not. Additionally, medical schools are aware of who on their "potential interview" list is in the area, and will call them in at the last minute if needed, so I don't really think there's any need to point this out to them, unless you have moved since your initial application. You'd be better off writing a letter of interest explaining why you like the school, and stating that you live in the area and really like it there (or have family there, or whatever your connection is) and therefore you'd really like to stay for medical school, which is only #210 why you LOVE their school.

Also, to whoever said that they're more likely to invite someone to interview if they're only in the area for a short time, versus someone who's always in the area - also not true. They're going to invite whoever is next on their list of people they want to interview.

Be sure to include an audio CD of Clay Aiken's "Invisible" in the envelope.

In all honesty, the letter would probably have no affect at worse, and might get you another look. But I do not think that it will get you an interview.

I actually sent a letter that said something like that. I think it can help because sometimes they have applicants that cancel kind of last minute, so if they know you can definitely be there at a drop of a dime without needing to book flights etc, they may be more inclined to call you earlier when they try to fill the spot (assuming they were intending to interview you in the first place of course, heh).

I'd say if you're on the waitlist to interview, it wouldn't hurt to include it in an LOInterest.

IMO it can never hurt. I've asked all the med schools I applied to and almost all (at least 80%) of the schools have been very very accommodating. That said I currently live almost 9k miles from the schools i'm applying to :D.

Somewhere an ADCOM member is reading this and praying it never catches on.

15000347.jpg