Alzheimer's masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimbr19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get my masters before getting my PhD, does anyone know of good schools to do that with an interest specifically in Alzheimer's? My top choice for my PhD is George Washington University but I don't think I'll get in just yet so I want to get my masters elsewhere first.
Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is the Ph.D., getting job as an Research Assistant for a couples years is your best bet. Having a masters generally doesnt increase competitivness unless you have to offset a low undegrad GPA. If your GPA is solid and you are confident you want the Ph.D, dont waste the time or tuition money on a masters program. You will get alot more research experience and possible publications working as a research assistant for a couple years. This is what increases competitivness.

If you still deciede to do a masters, simply look for a faculty member who has some kind of interest in AD. You didnt say what about AD you're interested in (ie., neuropsych and diagnositic issues/assessment, caregiving, quality of life, genetic risk factors?), so I cant direct you to anyone in particular.

Last edited:
Well I have already graduated with my B.A. which is why I feel I need to get a masters first because I don't have that research experience that I need. My GPA is alright but not amazing, also why I'm thinking masters first.
As far as my interest in Alzheimer's goes, I am more interested in neuropsych than anything but am still willing to do something less scientific based if that's what it comes to. Really I am pretty open.

I think that your idea to obtain a MA first is wise. That way you can gain research experience while working on an advanced degree. I would make sure, however, that you would be able to gain adequate research experience in the MA program or else you may be stuck with the same problem when you decide to apply to PhD programs. I know of an excellent MA program in TN that is an absolute gem for those wishing to pursue a career in clinical neuropsychology. It is a 2-year MA program in Clinical Psychology with a Health/Neuropsychology track. The focus of the program is in assessment, not therapy. You also will have an opportunity to complete your practicum at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in the neuropsychology division where you will be exposed to a diverse patient population, including those with AZ. Check it out: Middle Tennessee State University