Am I a Disservice to the Osteopathic Profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pags

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently on an interview at an allopathic radiology program, I was asked how I came about choosing to attend an osteopathic school. I told the program director my story, the honest truth. I applied to allopathic schools my first year out of undergrad with no success. Then, the following year, I applied to both allopathic and osteopathic schools with no acceptances. Then, the third year, I applied to only osteopathic schools with my subsequent acceptance. According to this program director, and she made it clear, what I did was sort of a disservice to the osteopathic profession, because osteopathy was not my first choice, and I settled with going DO because of my rejection from MD schools. So, fellow osteopathic students and DO's, I'm sure this story is not too unfamiliar, but is what I did a disservice to the Osteopathic profession?

Members don't see this ad.

Pags,

Let me ask, Are you happy with your education? Are you happy that you are to become a physician?
Do you regret the D.O. letters that will follow your name?

I don't think you are doing anyone a disservice. You couldn't get your first choice schools and so you went to your backup schools. You recognized that it was your chance to live your dream, and you realized the end goals were the same.

The only disservice you could do the D.O. community would be to reflect negatively upon it by being a poor physician or by badmouthing the profession. It sounds to me like you've done neither.

(That's my humble opinion)

Originally posted by pags:
•Recently on an interview at an allopathic radiology program, I was asked how I came about choosing to attend an osteopathic school. I told the program director my story, the honest truth. I applied to allopathic schools my first year out of undergrad with no success. Then, the following year, I applied to both allopathic and osteopathic schools with no acceptances. Then, the third year, I applied to only osteopathic schools with my subsequent acceptance. According to this program director, and she made it clear, what I did was sort of a disservice to the osteopathic profession, because osteopathy was not my first choice, and I settled with going DO because of my rejection from MD schools. So, fellow osteopathic students and DO's, I'm sure this story is not too unfamiliar, but is what I did a disservice to the Osteopathic profession?•••

Hey pags...

I think its all in the way you said it! I understand the persons reaction, but I think it was the wrong one...

I was in a similar situation.... not exactly... but, I applied to allo schools twice, then I applied to only osteo.... I found osteo fit more with my beliefs and I liked the overall philosophy better.... See I didn't know about osteomed that is why I never applied, I was ignorant to the whole D.O. deal, I never heard of one... when I learned what the deal was I loved it!!!

As long as you didn't deceive anyone, you did not to a disservice... don't feel guilty...

Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you didn't do a disservice. Just make sure when you become a program director you'll help open up more doors for qualified DO's such as yourself.

Pags,

Buck-er-up buckeroo!!

You'll get into a radiology program.

As for this residency director, well everyone has an opinion. Don't let it bother you because it just feeds the insecurities felt by our profession.

Be proud of that DO behind your name and you won't be a disservice to the Osteopathic profession.

Hey, Pags,

Being as we are classmates, I know you somewhat better than that idiot of a residency director. I can say with certainty that you did not do a disservice to the osteopathic profession. If anything, you are a credit to the medical profession in general. You are one of the brightest and most dedicated med students I have ever seen and I think that any radiology program should feel privileged to have you in their program. So there! :p

I think most osteopathic students initially applied to MD schools, and not necessarily because they felt osteopathy was second rate. For example, I had hoped to attend one of the NY state allopathic schools because the tuition was so much cheaper than the private schools. But when push came to shove, I wanted to be a physician and I didn't care if the initials after my name were MD, DO, or FU. ;)

Anyway, don't let 'em get you down. Good luck and happy holidays to you.

Thanks, Stace. I appreciate your comments. I'm just very frustrated with this competitive environment.

That's ridiculous. Are MD students paying disservice to their med schools because they were rejected by Harvard? Get real... great people compromise to achieve their dreams. Weak people change their dreams to suit the circumstances (ie. 'hmm didn't get into MD, think I'll be a lawyer' :) .

Amen ...

You're a doctor, and it sounds like you will make a pretty good one, too. Screw anyone who tries to make you feel different or a 'disservice'. What a crock!

I hope you get into a program that is a little bit more respectful of the person rather than the insignificant letters after their name. I too, would take, FU, if I still got to learn this stuff and practice medicine later.

Simul

I went to UC Berkeley, had a 3.53 undergrad GPA, and scored a 34Q on my MCAT. I applied to schools in California only. I did not get into any of the allopathic schools and decided to attend TUCOM. Could I have gotten into an out-of-state school? I probably could have, especially if I had been a resident in another state. Attending TUCOM gave the opportunity to be a physician and the opportunity to practice what I love: Emergency Medicine. I matched into a competitive residency at a top program in California. I would like to think that having a DO there and working with allopathic medical students, I would be a service to the profession.

Stacey knows you better than I do. From what I have seen on these threads, I would say that you are a service to the profession because you are bright and talented. I have noticed that you have become somewhat cynical about osteopathic medicine and perhaps the program director got that impression too. I am grateful for the opportunities that my degree afforded. Do I enjoy the fact that many people do not know what a DO is? Not really, but because I have the opportunity to practice medicine, I do not mind explaining. Plus, it does not really affect my ability to practice medicine. If you never applied to NYCOM (excellent school, by the way), you would not even be in a position to apply for Radiology now. Even if you do not match this year (I am sure you will with seven interviews), at least you were given the opportunity to apply and interview.