am i a good EM candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

please be brutally honest.

Sorry, you don't sound like a very good candidate to me. Try taking a year off for research, and apply next year. :smuggrin:

jk, seriously:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

You will probably get flamed by others, but..

You appear to be a very competitive candidate at almost anyplace you care to go to... California with little problem.

What you need to make sure the deal is sealed is a SLOR (Standard Letter of Rec) from an EM attending associated with an Emergency Medicine Residency Program. If you school DOES NOT have an EM residency, you need to get an away rotation in EM booked right now to be completed within the 2 months. Without this, you probably will match, but this will certainly put the icing on the cake.

Good luck and search the forums or PM me on how to be good at an away rotation...

Members don't see this ad :)
wow.....so although I've been a long time lurker with only a couple of posts, I feel obligated to come out of the woodwork, start paying my dues, and take this one for the regulars.

First off........F_

Second, you acknowledged whether this was an appropriate place to post- thats good, it shows your an outward looking person, acknowledging the customs and practices of others. Unfortunately though its generally frowned upon to list your CV/accomplishments (especially when they're obviously on the upper end of the scale) and then make fretful remarks about your ability to ever match into EM as if Steven Hawking and Mother Teresa's love child was the only person in the world who could ever get into EM residency.

So here's a freebee, future posts will probably be less patient- statistically your probably going to match into EM. If you do well on your EM rotations, get at couple of good letters, are not a complete turd, and don't couples match, your probably going to get into the residency of your choice. I know a couple people who matched into their top 3 with Step I scores just barely above 200 with minor improvement on Step II. That said, there are always situations where people (on this board) have solid cvs and don't match to which I don't have a good answer- but I doubt having done EM research was the thing keeping them out off EM residency. Research is great, especially if you have an interest in it, however, other than maybe giving you a better insight into a particular aspect of the field and showing that you can multi-task while attending med school, I don't think its as big a deal in EM compared to some of the surgical sub-specialties. I did no research- only got one rejection letter for an interview. Concentrate on your EM rotations, take care of your patients, learn from your patients, make some friends, have one of your new friends write you a letter- its not that bad.

best of luck.

wow.....so although I've been a long time lurker with only a couple of posts, I feel obligated to come out of the woodwork, start paying my dues, and take this one for the regulars.

First off........F_

Second, you acknowledged whether this was an appropriate place to post- thats good, it shows your an outward looking person, acknowledging the customs and practices of others. Unfortunately though its generally frowned upon to list your CV/accomplishments (especially when they're obviously on the upper end of the scale) and then make fretful remarks about your ability to ever match into EM as if Steven Hawking and Mother Teresa's love child was the only person in the world who could ever get into EM residency.

So here's a freebee, future posts will probably be less patient- statistically your probably going to match into EM. If you do well on your EM rotations, get at couple of good letters, are not a complete turd, and don't couples match, your probably going to get into the residency of your choice. I know a couple people who matched into their top 3 with Step I scores just barely above 200 with minor improvement on Step II. That said, there are always situations where people (on this board) have solid cvs and don't match to which I don't have a good answer- but I doubt having done EM research was the thing keeping them out off EM residency. Research is great, especially if you have an interest in it, however, other than maybe giving you a better insight into a particular aspect of the field and showing that you can multi-task while attending med school, I don't think its as big a deal in EM compared to some of the surgical sub-specialties. I did no research- only got one rejection letter for an interview. Concentrate on your EM rotations, take care of your patients, learn from your patients, make some friends, have one of your new friends write you a letter- its not that bad.

best of luck.

whoops- shouldn't have walked away from the computer to make dinner, dammit, I so wanted to post to the almighty F_ with appropriate timing.

i deleted it, sorry about that

You guys are really screwing this up - between the sappy kindness/ego stroking and goofed hangman attempts we'll simply never get to the most important point of this thread, which is...

FATTY MCFATTYPANTS!

Sometimes I wonder if you guys will make it in EM. :rolleyes: