Status
Not open for further replies.

doctaroo

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hey!

I am 1/2 pakistan, 1/2 Swedish, but not a visible minority, being completely caucasian or white-skinned.

I appreciate any feedback.

LikeClockWork

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2007
KY
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I think you could make an argument for it if you want to.

Edit: Yeah, I thought you meant on a PS or something. Not for the AMCAS apparently.

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
Not for the purposes of applying thru AMCAS. Sorry :)

AMCAS clearly defines what constitutes an "under-respresented in medicine" minority, and i believe it is only African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans and ... Puerto Rican-Americans? Perhaps one other Hispanic subgroup.

bootyshaker

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Well, you may consider yourself a minority, but you won't be considered an under-represented minority (ie African-America, Hispanic (of any type, i believe), or Native American (including native Hawaiian, Alaskan, etc)

Actually, being pakistani has a negative effect since asians are typically 'over-represented' minorities meaning that they constitute a greater proportion of medical professionals than thier population density would predict... (ie if there are 3 spots open for 3 identical candidates - white, hispanic, indian - the indian kid is rejected..it's kind of a counter-intuitive effect of affirmative action (ie reverse racism)

bootyshaker

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
although, come to think of it..there's really no need to call it "reverse" racism..it's just purely racist..

hmm.. that's interesting. When 'under-represented' kids get discriminated against it's called racism, but not when 'over-represented' kids do... never thought of it like that before... it's a really messed up system!

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
Hispanic (of any type, i believe)
No, actually there is quite a small population of Hispanics who are considered URMs. I'm pretty sure that no European or South American Hispanics are considered URMs, and neither are most Central American Hispanics, with a few exceptions.

Actually, being pakistani has a negative effect
This is not true. Please do not spread this misinformation.

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
although, come to think of it..there's really no need to call it "reverse" racism..it's just purely racist..

hmm.. that's interesting. When 'under-represented' kids get discriminated against it's called racism, but not when 'over-represented' kids do... never thought of it like that before... it's a really messed up system!
Seriously...

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Forgive me, but I don't understand the point of these threads. Unless you are a foreigner (in which case, you are international anyway and don't get counted in the diversity statistics), then you have probably already interacted with reporting race and affirmative action as you applied to college. The rules are pretty much the same applying to med school (except that among Hispanics, only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are considered underrepresented). So though yes, you are a minority because half of you is not white, no, you are not underrepresented. And since we all know the question you are really asking is, will I have an advantage when applying to med school, the answer is no, you will not.

Frank Hardy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Before the flame war starts I just wanted to add to the chorus of voices that say affirmative action should be income based, not race based. It isn't just to reject the more intelligent applicant for a minority applicant. Despite the putative basis for a.a., minority med students will also be gunning for a best residency and a "ritzy" practice in a nice area. I'm sure there are examples where affirmative action "has worked," but there are many more where it "hasn't."

On the otherhand if I grew up in poverty with family friends who are equally poor I'd be more likely to return to that area to serve because my heart is attached to them and that type of community. That's why rural med schools usually recruit rural students.

But there's lots of URMs that are very intelligent and make me look like an idiot and if they get in on merit their accomplishments shouldn't be diminished because of a.a.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I'm Swedish too (well half-Swedish and half-English)! But I have dark hair and green eyes. My brother is the blonde-hair, blue-eyed one.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status
Let's not derail this thread into an Affirmative Action thread. This board is here for help and support. If you want to debate AA issues, please take them to socio-political forum.

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
Let's not derail this thread into an Affirmative Action thread. This board is here for help and support. If you want to debate AA issues, please take them to socio-political forum.
Please, please just close the thread now. The OP's question has been answered...

:(

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey!

I am 1/2 pakistan, 1/2 Swedish, but not a visible minority, being completely caucasian or white-skinned.

I appreciate any feedback.
yes you're multiracial. you are a minority

Before the flame war starts I just wanted to add to the chorus of voices that say affirmative action should be income based, not race based. It isn't just to reject the more intelligent applicant for a minority applicant. Despite the putative basis for a.a., minority med students will also be gunning for a best residency and a "ritzy" practice in a nice area. I'm sure there are examples where affirmative action "has worked," but there are many more where it "hasn't."

On the otherhand if I grew up in poverty with family friends who are equally poor I'd be more likely to return to that area to serve because my heart is attached to them and that type of community. That's why rural med schools usually recruit rural students.

But there's lots of URMs that are very intelligent and make me look like an idiot and if they get in on merit their accomplishments shouldn't be diminished because of a.a.
so it's partly to reject more intelligent applicants for minorities:confused:
wow i have so many issues with what you just said in this post
but this is the wrong forum..

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I am half puerto rican (last name Serrano) and half white but i dont really look puerto rican at all.

will being URM really help me?

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
I am half puerto rican (last name Serrano) and half white but i dont really look puerto rican at all.

will being URM really help me?
Yes, dude. Absolutely.

At least your last name is Hispanic. Mine isn't (granted, I'm only a quarter Salvadoran), and my friend who is half Puerto Rican (his mother) has the last name "Fitzgerald."

RySerr21

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yes, dude. Absolutely.

At least your last name is Hispanic. Mine isn't (granted, I'm only a quarter Salvadoran), and my friend who is half Puerto Rican (his mother) has the last name "Fitzgerald."

haha. fitzgerald, thats funny. good thing my dad is the one that is puerto rican or else my last name would be Siegel. i dont speak a bit of spanish tho. whenever i'm with family (on my dads side) i am like the only one speaking englis. it kinda sucks. i blame my highs school for that but its a long story.

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
haha. fitzgerald, thats funny. good thing my dad is the one that is puerto rican or else my last name would be Siegel. i dont speak a bit of spanish tho. whenever i'm with family (on my dads side) i am like the only one speaking englis. it kinda sucks. i blame my highs school for that but its a long story.
yeah my dad never really forgave me i think for resisting Spanish, and now of course i sorely regret it. trying to brush up on my medical Spanish before starting school, but to be fluent would be such an asset...

RySerr21

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yeah my dad never really forgave me i think for resisting Spanish, and now of course i sorely regret it. trying to brush up on my medical Spanish before starting school, but to be fluent would be such an asset...
yea... my parents regret not teaching me while i was young. even then, I was in spanish 5/6 (3rd year) as a freshman in high school... i signed up for 4th year and would have eventually taken AP, but there was a scheduling conflict with 4th year spanish. so in the end, i havent taken spanish since freshman year of high school. needless to say i remember nothing.

i guess it wasnt that long of a story. haha.

superior olive

Likes Brains. Mmm.
10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
San Francisco!
Status
Pre-Medical
... I'm Iranian. And yeah, I know there are a million billion iranians that are doctors I take it, so I've never really thought them to be URM. But when I'm choosing what race I am/what ethnic background I have, I don't know what to ever pick. Both my parents were born in Iran and came to the US in the 1980s. (They pretty much left everything and moved with 4 kids and $200 to the US.) I was born in the US but my first language was farsi and I didn't learn English until I started elementary school. Much of my family still lives in Iran (my brother is there now).... but from what I can tell I am just considered to be "white" because middle easterners are somehow white (?). For now, I've just been not specifying what race or ethnic background I am because I don't know what to choose.

bootyshaker

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
This is not true. Please do not spread this misinformation.
Excuse me??! This is not true?

Now, before I jump into this - I am not trying to start an AA war on this forum or anything, but a direct attack was brought upon me and so I feel obligated to respond.

Let's look at the logic: the logic behind affirmative action is to match the population density in the country with the population density in any particular field (this is the REASON that blacks/hispanics/native americans are put at an advantage.) In an ideal world, yes, affirmitive action would be based on income and not race, but that's not how the system works today.

If you expand that logic, then it MUST BE THE CASE that schools will try to adjust their incoming class such that people who are over-represented in the field will be 'matched' to their population density just like everyone else (again - hence the advantage from URMs).

Disadvantage against over-represented minorities is simply a necessary progression if one is to advantage under-represented minorities. You cannot have the second without the first. The underlying logic necessitates it.

I am certainly not the one spreading misinformation. THINK about the issue before you go accusing people.

John A Zoidberg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Forgive me, but I don't understand the point of these threads. Unless you are a foreigner (in which case, you are international anyway and don't get counted in the diversity statistics), then you have probably already interacted with reporting race and affirmative action as you applied to college. The rules are pretty much the same applying to med school (except that among Hispanics, only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are considered underrepresented). So though yes, you are a minority because half of you is not white, no, you are not underrepresented. And since we all know the question you are really asking is, will I have an advantage when applying to med school, the answer is no, you will not.
The original poster is an ethnic minority due to either ethnic identification (Pakistani or Swedish). Just because a person is of a European ethnicity does not mean that the person is not a minority, so long as the person maintains identification with that ethnicity. I want to point out my disapproval of your improper mixing of the terms 'minority' and 'visible minority'.

Status
Not open for further replies.