1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

am I a PA resident

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Matrix, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Matrix

Matrix Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Everyone!!!
    Ok, Here's my situation,
    My permanent address (where my parents live + where all my mails go to) is in Pennsylvania but I go to a school in New Jersey. My permanent address has been in Pennsylvania for over 2 years now and even my drivers license is a PA license. I recieved my Green Card (permanent residency) on 7/30/00 and the address that is printed in the card is in Pennsylvania. Now here's my question, if I apply to Med school before 7/30/01, will I be considered a PA resident or not??
    I've heard that if you've been living in a certain state for less than a year, or recieved your green card less than a year ago, that means you're not considered a resident of that state. Is this true?? or am I considered a PA resident because i have a green card which indicates that i live in PA and because of the fact that I've been living here for over a year??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. iamlost

iamlost Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do you go to a college in NJ? What state do they(your college) think you're resident of?
    Here's what I think, but I am not sure 100% if this is right: If you don't have green card, you're not a resident of U.S. (The real name for green card is Resident Alien Card, isn't that right?) So you cannot be a resident of any state. By your definition of a resident, you have to live in a certain state for a year or more to be considered one. You got your green card on 7/30/00, on that day you became a U.S. resident and on that day you started on your way of becoming of PA. Not until you live one year in PA do you become a resident; so what I'm saying is I don't think you're a resident of PA until 7/30/01.

Is what I've told you bad? Check with INS, PA gov, and with the schools you want to apply to.