Syndicate

5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am currently a third year and I didn't do so well on my step 1. I ended up getting the 2016 national average of a 229. Our school grades clinicals on a H/HP/P/LP/F system and I have gotten a P on my first rotation. I have a very extensive research background (multiple publications including a first author and poster presentations at national conferences). I'm going to work as hard as I can to do well in my remaining rotations and I plan to do at least 2 away rotations for radiology and also take step 2 before I submit ERAS. based on my current situation, how does it look in terms of me getting into a decent academic radiology program? I'm not aiming for top 5-10. I'm mainly looking to just get into a top 20 or so program in my home geographic region. I go to a private out of state mid tier allopathic school and my desired residency program locations are not in a guzzling metropolis like NYC/LA/etc

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:

420 blaze it

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Speech Language Pathology
Why would you go into radiology considering how close computer vision is to doing their job?

Reactions: PL198

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Why would you go into radiology considering how close computer vision is to doing their job?
Primary care is far closer to being automated than radiology. Almost every field has these threats -- you should see the paranoia among some cardiologists -- but technology is still a long way away from replacing any physicians. It might happen in our lifetime, but even after being implemented the results will still need to be verified by humans for a long time after that for pure liability reasons.

clutch21

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am currently a third year and I didn't do so well on my step 1. I ended up getting the 2016 national average of a 229. Our school grades clinicals on a H/HP/P/LP/F system and I have gotten a P on my first rotation. I have a very extensive research background (multiple publications including a first author and poster presentations at national conferences). I'm going to work as hard as I can to do well in my remaining rotations and I plan to do at least 2 away rotations for radiology and also take step 2 before I submit ERAS. based on my current situation, how does it look in terms of me getting into a decent academic radiology program? I'm not aiming for top 5-10. I'm mainly looking to just get into a top 20 or so program in my home geographic region. I go to a private out of state mid tier allopathic school and my desired residency program locations are not in a guzzling metropolis like NYC/LA/etc

I'm a fourth year going into radiology. Not an expert but I think you'll be fine. Just focus on rocking third year! Good luck.

Warderino92

5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Charting the match data shows that you'll absolutely match rads. Where you match though I'm sure will be a bit more complicated than that.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Top 20 will still likely be a reach unless your research really shines. I expect you'll match Top 30-50 program.

qwerty89

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Top 20 will still likely be a reach unless your research really shines. I expect you'll match Top 30-50 program.
Top 30-50 in the midwest. Getting into a community program in a popular location (i.e. Virginia Mason, Cedars, Santa Clara, community Manhattan programs, etc) will also be very difficult.

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Primary care is far closer to being automated than radiology. Almost every field has these threats -- you should see the paranoia among some cardiologists -- but technology is still a long way away from replacing any physicians. It might happen in our lifetime, but even after being implemented the results will still need to be verified by humans for a long time after that for pure liability reasons.
? Which cardiologists are you talking about exactly? I don't see cardiologists being replaced by anything really.

Reactions: mymembernames

futureradres12345

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]

You have a decent shot at going to an upper-tier academic program. Exactly where that program falls on any ranking list depends on what region you are trying to match. There is a fairly precipitous drop-off in the quality of matched applicants after the top 8-10 programs. Emory for example, a strong program that many would consider top 20, matched multiple Caribbean grads this year.

One other comment, and I say this not to try and be rude, but just to set realistic expectations. Unless multiple publications means >6-7 peer-reviewed journal publications, your research is about average for applicants applying to top radiology programs. It's nice that you have it, but not something that is really going to make you shine or stand out from the crowd.

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
? Which cardiologists are you talking about exactly? I don't see cardiologists being replaced by anything really.
My point was the paranoia is unjustified, as they would never actually be replaced. That doesn't stop people from worrying about it, though.

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's not unjustified. The powers that be are doing everything they can to limit your income and autonomy.

OP
S

Syndicate

5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a decent shot at going to an upper-tier academic program. Exactly where that program falls on any ranking list depends on what region you are trying to match. There is a fairly precipitous drop-off in the quality of matched applicants after the top 8-10 programs. Emory for example, a strong program that many would consider top 20, matched multiple Caribbean grads this year.

One other comment, and I say this not to try and be rude, but just to set realistic expectations. Unless multiple publications means >6-7 peer-reviewed journal publications, your research is about average for applicants applying to top radiology programs. It's nice that you have it, but not something that is really going to make you shine or stand out from the crowd.
My region is in the south. I'm just trying to match at any decent program anywhere in the southeast US or midatlantic. My dream would be Duke radiology but I recognize that is a big reach given my step score

CherryRedDracul

The Sunlight Burns
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2012
North America
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol'd at paranoia among cardiologists. Every cardiologist laughs at how poorly computers read EKGs. Even at my lowly PGY-1 level, I can outread an EKG machine by now.

@OP, top 20 may be a reach with your Step 1 score (with perhaps the exception of Emory; don't know what happened there). The 2016 match seemed particularly competitive in radiology with quite a few people I know matching into their 7th-11th ranked program. Seemed like an upswing considering 2015 was a gift basket where a lot of people I know got into their reach programs. With that said, as long as you do well from now on and give off a good impression during interviews, you will probably still match into a good academic program. Ultimately, it's more about the effort a resident puts into his training than the program itself which determines how much he will learn and excel in radiology ... as long as you're not at a bottom-of-the-barrel community program.