Am I allowed to do bloodwork

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CollegeGirl94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
in a clinic without any certification?

Members don't see this ad.

That would depend on your state laws.
Even if it is legal in your state, you also have to consider facility policy. If you work somewhere that will let you do it in a state that doesn't require certification, then you just need to talk to your supervisor about getting some form of training.

I've always seen places require a phlebotomy certification, so it's weird that this place does not. I just want to make sure I'm not violating any possible laws.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a subordinate, I am pretty sure the responsibility is on your institution of hire/volunteerism. I don't think you will actually get in trouble. I am allowed to work with blood after appropriate institutional occupational health training....no certificate though.

Doing blood work is a bit different than doing phlebotomy. For phlebotomy it depends on the state and then the institution. If the state doesn't require it, and the institution doesn't then you're fine. Quite a few places like that will do on the job training, especially smaller places. You should be able to use google to figure out your state reqs. or the ASCP website will probably have info on states reqs.