Am I allowed to do this on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'll be applying for the class of 2007. I've taken my MCAT and everything and I've started filling out the 2006 AMCAS just to get a feel for it. Will AMCAS erase everything once the new application cycle starts, or will they save the information I entered for the 2007 AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

doctajay said:
Hi, I'll be applying for the class of 2007. I've taken my MCAT and everything and I've started filling out the 2006 AMCAS just to get a feel for it. Will AMCAS erase everything once the new application cycle starts, or will they save the information I entered for the 2007 AMCAS?

I filled out the 2005 amcas (did not apply) and am applying now with amcas 2006. They don't erase the previous, but the info doesn't carry over either--you still have to type it all in again.

So they didn't erase your account, but they erased your information? What information? You mean like your personal statement, your transcript grades, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
2005 and 2006 applications were on different servers. You'll have a login for 2005 and another for 2006. If you have all the info from this year it will take you about 10 minutes to fill out next year's.

doctajay said:
So they didn't erase your account, but they erased your information? What information? You mean like your personal statement, your transcript grades, etc?
Yeah, assuming they don't change the server again, you may be able to use the same info. But all my 2005 info is still there when I login to amcas 2005. When I logged in to amcas 2006, I had to start with a blank 2006 amcas. Nothing transferred over (no grades, EC descriptions, essay, etc.).

indo said:
2005 and 2006 applications were on different servers. You'll have a login for 2005 and another for 2006. If you have all the info from this year it will take you about 10 minutes to fill out next year's.

I filled out the 2003, 2004, and 2005 AMCAS and everything automatically carried over. As mentioned in the previous post, it didn't carry over last year (2006) because they updated/used a new server. My understanding is that they update everything every three to five years. My guess is that you shouldn't have to refill, as next year everything should carry over.