Am I applying to the right schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poolie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I think I have almost finalized my list...

3.49 cGPA
3.3 sGPA (But there is a big upward trend, I almost got straight a's this year. one A-)

35 MCAT

Allopathic Schools
University of Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Albany Medical College
Mayo (The dream!!!)
Medical Colege of Wisconsin

Osteopathic Schools
LECOM
Chicago CCOM

Am I applying to the right schools? Any others I should consider?

Members don't see this ad.

add like 5 more I say. you have a great MCAT but that GPA is on the lower end, so don't add all top-tiers. but a couple more reaches couldn't hurt. depending on the region you want to end up in, I'd consider adding...

Ohio State (You can get in-state tuition after a year in Ohio)
U of Cincinnati (see above)
U of Toledo (see above)
Wake Forest
the SUNYs (thought I heard they do what Ohio does with tuition)
Saint Louis U
New York Medical College
Albert Einstein
Boston U
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel

look into those

but only apply to schools you would want to go to

I think you should probably add a few more osteopathic programs

Members don't see this ad :)
8 MD schools? that's a recipe for failure.....you should apply to twice as many! some good suggestions above from rockaction....except BU, Georgetown and GWU, i'd stay away from them

8 MD schools? that's a recipe for failure.....you should apply to twice as many! some good suggestions above from rockaction....except BU, Georgetown and GWU, i'd stay away from them

GW and BU and Gtown take alot of OOS students..
as such they are very good choices

but yah.. i'd be applying to at least 20 medical schools.. maybe 30
and maybe 5 to 10 DO schools i recommend adding DMU,PCOM, LECOM-B, KCUMB..

What is OOS?

---Nevermind, got it-----

Last edited:
GW and BU and Gtown take alot of OOS students..
as such they are very good choices

but yah.. i'd be applying to at least 20 medical schools.. maybe 30
and maybe 5 to 10 DO schools i recommend adding DMU,PCOM, LECOM-B, KCUMB..

of course they'll take OOS students, they are private schools and should have no preference for in state students.

however both BU and Gtown get alot of apps and seem to send out instant rejections ....they seem to be looking for something very specific that i haven't quite put my finger on yet. additionally Gtown's app is long and is the most expensive secondary. GWU is on probation (or was) and gets a ton of applications so is a complete crapshoot. I think with a 3.5/35 you should be ok with a maximum of 20 schools...dont go overboard. you can apply to DO just in case but i would expect that you get an MD acceptance if the rest of your app is strong and you apply early.

of course they'll take OOS students, they are private schools and should have no preference for in state students.

however both BU and Gtown get alot of apps and seem to send out instant rejections ....they seem to be looking for something very specific that i haven't quite put my finger on yet. additionally Gtown's app is long and is the most expensive secondary. GWU is on probation (or was) and gets a ton of applications so is a complete crapshoot. I think with a 3.5/35 you should be ok with a maximum of 20 schools...dont go overboard. you can apply to DO just in case but i would expect that you get an MD acceptance if the rest of your app is strong and you apply early.

i consider myself a person that is unlucky in terms of first screening my gpa and mcat will probably be good but they'll screen me out for sure haha..
however the ones that give me invites for interview hehe..
i think i'll be good since im so darn charming haha..
but i think that DO is a backup plan..
in the situation it all fails i dont lose a whole year till reapplying..

gwu and gtown get a lot of apps
and its almost like random they pick out students..
so its still worth a shot in my mind..

I think your school list looks great so far. You should add about five or six more MD schools and two or three more DO schools to your list. That will give you an overall list of ~20, which is average for SDN. You seem to want to stay in the upper midwest, so I'd recommend applying to Ohio State, Case Western, Michigan State (although it's balls expensive OOS). Maybe SLU since it's in your relative area. For reaches, try Northwestern and UMich. I think it's good to have a couple of reaches, as long as you don't get your hopes up, because you never know what a school is looking for. I'm not as familiar with DO schools but you could add a couple in your region.

Good luck! :)