Am I applying too late? I am confused about the application process.

dnp123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi.
So the AADSAS takes another 3 weeks after I take the DAT to process the scores. So does that mean I have to wait another 3 weeks after I take the DAT before submitting the application?

Also the AADSAS takes 3-4 weeks to calculate the GPA, does that also mean it will take 3-4 weeks after I submit my application for it to be sent to the dental schools?

Then it won't be until the end of September before everything gets completed. Isn't that too late??

Please help me with the expected timeline of the applying process. Thank you in advance.

workofshart

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
You are late at this point if you haven't submitted anything or taken the DAT. If you are going to apply this cycle you need to get everything filled out on your app asap, submit, and take the DAT. Schools will receive your app once your GPA is verified but most won't consider you until your DAT scores are received by AADSAS.

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
1.) You can actually submit the AADSAS application before you take your DAT. That's what I did.
2.) It'll take approximately 2-6 weeks (I say 2-6 because last year, it took 4-6 weeks for GPA's to be calculated, but this year it only took me two weeks for grade verification, but that was back in June. Traffic may have changed now in August, not sure.) Once your grade is verified, your app will be ready to be "mailed out" to the dental schools.
3.) Yes, unfortunately it seems like it won't be complete until mid-September if you haven't done any of the above. Would it be too late? That I'm not too sure. It certainly isn't early, and it's not SDN "on time", but there have been cases where people have received interviews regardless of what SDN deems as appropriate timing.

Have you already requested your transcripts? Have you started the application?

OP
D

dnp123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
You are late at this point if you haven't submitted anything or taken the DAT. If you are going to apply this cycle you need to get everything filled out on your app asap, submit, and take the DAT. Schools will receive your app once your GPA is verified but most won't consider you until your DAT scores are received by AADSAS.

Should I should submit my app before I take the DAT, or is it okay to submit it after I receive my DAT scores?

OP
D

dnp123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
1.) You can actually submit the AADSAS application before you take your DAT. That's what I did.
2.) It'll take approximately 2-6 weeks (I say 2-6 because last year, it took 4-6 weeks for GPA's to be calculated, but this year it only took me two weeks for grade verification, but that was back in June. Traffic may have changed now in August, not sure.) Once your grade is verified, your app will be ready to be "mailed out" to the dental schools.
3.) Yes, unfortunately it seems like it won't be complete until mid-September if you haven't done any of the above. Would it be too late? That I'm not too sure. It certainly isn't early, and it's not SDN "on time", but there have been cases where people have received interviews regardless of what SDN deems as appropriate timing.

Have you already requested your transcripts? Have you started the application?
Yes. AADSAS already has my transcript and letter of evaluations on file. I just have not taken the DAT yet (which I will in 2 weeks). Would it be okay if I submit the application after I receive my DAT scores? Would it delay it further?

Thank you, to all, I appreciate your help.

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Just wondering, but what's preventing you from submitting it now? If you e-submit now, you can get the ball rolling with grade verification at the least. It does take 2-3 weeks for the official DAT scores to be received by schools, so I guess by the time you e-submit after the DAT, grade verification and uploaded scores may happen around the same time. Either way though, no matter which decision you make, your application will not be completed until mid-September.

mroerdh22

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
You should really submit. What is keeping you? I submitted on June 30th before I took my DAT on July 11th. I submitted before all my letters were in too. That was later than I wanted. My GPA was verified in 3 weeks, scores received after 3 weeks. My mail out date was a little over a month from my submit date.

At this point in the game, it may take longer. A friend of mine submitted around this time last year and it took 5 weeks for GPA verification. The longer you wait, the more first round interview spots are getting filled up. Moral of the story... go ahead and submit!

workofshart

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Should I should submit my app before I take the DAT, or is it okay to submit it after I receive my DAT scores?
Before so your GPA can get verified you only want to be waiting on DAT scores