Am I basically out of luck this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshuaGuit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is probably my third chances thread, but now halfway into the cycle I'm really starting to get worried :(.

Basically despite everyone's advice, my secondaries were submitted during the month of october (about half in the first two weeks, the rest the last week or so). I've only gotten one interview invite so far (UCONN, instate), but not so much other news. I'm EFI at UCF and I had a LOR request from Mayo/submitted secondary to Wake Forest.

sGPA is ~3.7 with a cGPA of 3.5, MCAT 28R (8 PS/10VR/10BS), middle/top tier engineering university (BME). Second author publication that was submitted, presented my poster as first author at a national BME convention. MCAT is surprising considering I'm an engineering student, I was pretty much laughed at by my prehealth advisor.

Primary talked about my research, overcoming adversity in a hobby, fraternity leadership, camp counselor for disabled children (same area that I want to specialize in), internship, shadowing (>80 hours), being a TA, EMT volunteering, leadership on campus clubs, ballroom dancing, charity walks. People have told me that my PS is very strong with one of my professors to the point of tearing up, and the director of my prehealth committee told me that my letters are exceptionally strong.

I applied to-
Albany Med
Albert Einstein -- complete
Boston University -- rejected
Drexel -- complete
George Washington -- complete
Keck -- application is ready
Mayo -- lor received
Medical Wisc -- no messages
NYMC -- complete
Penn State -- not sure if complete
St Louis -- complete
Temple -- under review
Miami School of Medicine
Quinnipiac -- not sure if complete
Tufts -- complete
UCF -- EFI
UCONN -- interview
UPitt -- under review
Wake Forest
Washington University

I'm so nervous right now with it being almost halfway through November and only having on interview invitation. I realize that I only have one rejection, but I just can't tell if there aren't more "silent rejections" that I just don't know about. I couldn't submit my secondaries until October because one of my letter writers didn't finish his letter for a bit over half a year, and then the pre-health committee had to start theirs after receiving his. Bunch of unfortunate events.

Just hoping that I didn't spend THIS much money and have no chance. Can anyone please give me their opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

This is probably my third chances thread, but now halfway into the cycle I'm really starting to get worried :(.

Basically despite everyone's advice, my secondaries were submitted during the month of october (about half in the first two weeks, the rest the last week or so). I've only gotten one interview invite so far (UCONN, instate), but not so much other news. I'm EFI at UCF and I had a LOR request from Mayo/submitted secondary to Wake Forest.

sGPA is ~3.7 with a cGPA of 3.5, MCAT 28R (8 PS/10VR/10BS), middle/top tier engineering university (BME). Second author publication that was submitted, presented my poster as first author at a national BME convention. MCAT is surprising considering I'm an engineering student, I was pretty much laughed at by my prehealth advisor.

Primary talked about my research, overcoming adversity in a hobby, fraternity leadership, camp counselor for disabled children (same area that I want to specialize in), internship, shadowing (>80 hours), being a TA, EMT volunteering, leadership on campus clubs, ballroom dancing, charity walks. People have told me that my PS is very strong with one of my professors to the point of tearing up, and the director of my prehealth committee told me that my letters are exceptionally strong.

I applied to-
Albany Med
Albert Einstein -- complete
Boston University -- rejected
Drexel -- complete
George Washington -- complete
Keck -- application is ready
Mayo -- lor received
Medical Wisc -- no messages
NYMC -- complete
Penn State -- not sure if complete
St Louis -- complete
Temple -- under review
Miami School of Medicine
Quinnipiac -- not sure if complete
Tufts -- complete
UCF -- EFI
UCONN -- interview
UPitt -- under review
Wake Forest
Washington University

I'm so nervous right now with it being almost halfway through November and only having on interview invitation. I realize that I only have one rejection, but I just can't tell if there aren't more "silent rejections" that I just don't know about. I couldn't submit my secondaries until October because one of my letter writers didn't finish his letter for a bit over half a year, and then the pre-health committee had to start theirs after receiving his. Bunch of unfortunate events.

Just hoping that I didn't spend THIS much money and have no chance. Can anyone please give me their opinion?

You seem to understand that applying that late was essentially shooting yourself in the foot. Be glad you have at least one interview. It sounds like you have a decent app but with deadlines approaching and most schools interview dates filled through late December/early January there's no guarantee of anything for someone who just submit in the last few weeks. Good luck at uconn! Hope you get accepted there

First, I am so sorry you had so many hold-ups that are not your fault. It really messed up your chances this cycle. At least you have all your stuff together to apply next year.

There are a record number of applicants to medical schools this year (thanks to the economy). One school that I am applying to has an expected TEN WEEK timeline for people turning in their secondaries.

Most schools still interview into March, so you still have a chance, but if you end up not doing well this cycle, you need to do something to improve your application. Make major changes to your personal statement because some schools look at re-applicants and see how their application is different. Then make sure that you apply on the FIRST DAY that AMCAS opens next spring.

Oh ya, also study like a mad-person and retake the MCAT if you really want a good shot at allopathic schools. You would be very competitive at osteopathic schools, but on the low end of applicants at MD schools.

You should also consider applying DO next cycle. I only saw MD schools on your list (I didn't look too closely). With the combined match that was just announced, you would be in a good position to do a DO degree with an MD residency.

Good luck with your situation.
dsoz

Does anyone know how receptive a school would be to an update letter basically giving more detail on points to why I'm a good fit for their college, as well as trying to explain (in a non-whiny) way why my MCAT is so low?

ie) Self-teaching physiology while working 70 hour weeks in a research lab and taking an ochem class for 2 months prior to the mcat?

Being late with such a low MCAT (sub 30 and 8 PS as BME...) are definitely hampering your application.

Do you know if adcoms might sympathize with my situation given that my university essentially set me up for this with various course conflicts?

I keep wanting to think that I'm in a unique position that others aren't, but I unfortunately know that this is probably not true :(

Do you know if adcoms might sympathize with my situation given that my university essentially set me up for this with various course conflicts?

I keep wanting to think that I'm in a unique position that others aren't, but I unfortunately know that this is probably not true :(

Any input?

Popping in to say good luck, because we are basically stats twins. haha :luck:

Concur, and you're definitely aiming too high with many of those schools. I see no chance at U Pitt for example.

You're a lock for any DO shcool, however.

I agree that upitt was a high reach, along with a few other schools.

I used the MSAR to get the majority of private schools that were within my MCAT range, but unfortunately the 28R leaves me mostly in the bottom 10% for almost all of them.

I appreciate the honest opinions and try my best to not attempt to rationalize around them :oops:. I guess I will have to see what happens during this cycle and remain optimistic that some more medical schools will like my application enough to interview me. I received my UCONN interview 5 days after I submitted my secondary, so let's hope that others show me similar enthusiasm.

Just plan on re-taking the MCAT while hoping for the best this cycle. Other than prepping for next year (mainly MCAT studying) it is pretty much out of your hands.

I think you should have applied to more schools especially with your lower MCAT score. It's hard to say whether you'll get in this year, but I think chances are slim. Retake the MCAT and apply earlier.

Any love from Catalystik?

I don't quite "get" what people mean by 'more schools'. My list, with three or four exceptions, came from the bottom end of the MSAR for MCAT ranges of private schools. What could I have done better?

Stats-wise, the odds aren't strongly in your favor, but I do think there's hope if your ECs pan out to be as meaty as you've implied, and if you described them well. UConn, particularly, is known to think outside of 'the numbers'. As to other schools, I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Once schools are done cherry picking those with better numbers, human eyeballs will get around to reading your experiences section and microanalyzing your transcript. Hopefully they will see a nice upward grade trend when they do so. Your ECs have the potential to trump your stats, and hopefully your excellent LORs will sway them even more positively.

Despite this bit of hope, it's always wise to plan for a reapplication cycle. Don't cease to improve your application. And don't hesitate to send in update letters, where allowed, to let schools know about it. If you are still taking classes, I'd be sure to let schools know about your fall transcript (if it reflects well), too.

Stats-wise, the odds aren't strongly in your favor, but I do think there's hope if your ECs pan out to be as meaty as you've implied, and if you described them well. UConn, particularly, is known to think outside of 'the numbers'. As to other schools, I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Once schools are done cherry picking those with better numbers, human eyeballs will get around to reading your experiences section and microanalyzing your transcript. Hopefully they will see a nice upward grade trend when they do so. Your ECs have the potential to trump your stats, and hopefully your excellent LORs will sway them even more positively.

Despite this bit of hope, it's always wise to plan for a reapplication cycle. Don't cease to improve your application. And don't hesitate to send in update letters, where allowed, to let schools know about it. If you are still taking classes, I'd be sure to let schools know about your fall transcript (if it reflects well), too.

I know harsh reality is needed once in a while, but your post absolutely made my day. I've tried so hard to get to this point, and your optimism is so much incredibly appreciated... so thank you.

My EC's are exactly as I've presented them, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity of expanding them in my primary app and secondary essays. Despite being an engineer (somewhat), I think my heart has shown through in them which may be how I managed the Mayo LOR request and Wake Forest secondary... God knows it wasn't my stats!!

I do have an upward trend, and I'm still taking hard classes my senior year. Unfortunately my spring semester is filled with slight fluff, because up until this point I haven't taken any English courses or humanities. I'm hoping that maybe if I get an interview or acceptance, I could ask to replace the English courses with more grad level courses despite completing complete in my major, or take enough for a BCBP minor.

As a faculty member yourself, would you advise I be sending letters to the Deans or the admissions committees? I just want the chance to show them that despite my low MCAT, this is entirely my passion and I want the opportunity to care for children in a medical aspect who will go through exactly what I've gone through in my own past. It is what has driven me through undergrad and I don't want anything to stop me!

Sidenote: For your love of cats... hopefully you've heard of reddit! If not... let me change the way you waste time in the future: http://www.reddit.com/r/aww :D

Last edited:
1) As a faculty member yourself, would you advise I be sending letters to the Deans or the admissions committees?
2) I just want the chance to show them that despite my low MCAT, this is entirely my passion and I want the opportunity to care for children in a medical aspect who will go through exactly what I've gone through in my own past.
1) I think it's better to address such a letter to the Admission Committee as a whole.
2) It is said that one should take care not to make the connection too personal and not to seem too set on a single specialty so as to seem inflexible. I will leave it to you to decide if these general guidelines should be followed in your case or if a different strategy might prevail.

1) I think it's better to address such a letter to the Admission Committee as a whole.
2) It is said that one should take care not to make the connection too personal and not to seem too set on a single specialty so as to seem inflexible. I will leave it to you to decide if these general guidelines should be followed in your case or if a different strategy might prevail.

As always, your advice is very much appreciated. I will get on that once I get past this physiology exam... thank you again!