preimmune

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Southern Mid-West (if that exists!)
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

I started my collegiate career on a bed of false hopes and lofty dreams. After switching my major countless times, I finished out my freshman year with a 3.3 and a 3.0. Then I transferred, rendering those numbers almost useless for the disaster that was to come. Both semesters of my sophomore year I got a 2.2 - this was due in large part to my traveling during midterms. There were few opportunities to redeem myself, but I wouldn't change being with my family in times of crisis to getting better grades in Animal Nutrition, you know? Anyway, I finished out my senior year with a 3.0 GPA, meaning I did quite a bit of work the next to years to bail myself out of that hole. And now I'm going back. I'm working full time and attending an academically respected, though not Ivy League, school to finish out my med school pre-reqs (Chem, Organic, and Physics).

Assuming I dominate these classes (which I know will be difficult with working, but I'm a pretty smart kid when I put my mind to it :D) - am I being too hopeful that I'll get into a respected med school to live out the dream I've finally found? I wish I could turn back the clock and come to these realizations sooner, but the reality is that I didn't. I took my undergrad for granted, and now that I'm financially responsible I know that I can buckle down and do what needs to get done.

Please - any advice or comments would be fantastic.

ziggydoc

Growing a Heart
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

I started my collegiate career on a bed of false hopes and lofty dreams. After switching my major countless times, I finished out my freshman year with a 3.3 and a 3.0. Then I transferred, rendering those numbers almost useless for the disaster that was to come. Both semesters of my sophomore year I got a 2.2 - this was due in large part to my traveling during midterms. There were few opportunities to redeem myself, but I wouldn't change being with my family in times of crisis to getting better grades in Animal Nutrition, you know? Anyway, I finished out my senior year with a 3.0 GPA, meaning I did quite a bit of work the next to years to bail myself out of that hole. And now I'm going back. I'm working full time and attending an academically respected, though not Ivy League, school to finish out my med school pre-reqs (Chem, Organic, and Physics).

Assuming I dominate these classes (which I know will be difficult with working, but I'm a pretty smart kid when I put my mind to it :D) - am I being too hopeful that I'll get into a respected med school to live out the dream I've finally found? I wish I could turn back the clock and come to these realizations sooner, but the reality is that I didn't. I took my undergrad for granted, and now that I'm financially responsible I know that I can buckle down and do what needs to get done.

Please - any advice or comments would be fantastic.
Do you mean that your final cGPA from undergrad was a 3.0? If so, with all the pre reqs that you are taking, you should pull a decent gpa, altho maybe if you can/have time look into a offical postbac program, a lot of schools take special consideration of you if you go to their post bac program. It also sounds like you had some family crisis during the year you did not do well, so you can always explain those grades on your app. Do well on the remaining courses, and see where you are. But good luck, you can make it!!!!!

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DO ur best to boost ur gpa, do well on da MCAT, beef up ECs, get great LORs. Don't lose sight of other important factors besides gpa, but definitely improve it.